Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hey kid, want to try some GTA?
Hey kid, want to try some GTA?
2006-02-22, 9:19 PM #1
http://pc.ign.com/articles/690/690711p1.html

That's right, more legislation dealing with violent games. Now, I totally agree that kid's shouldn't have access to M or AO rated games, but $1,000 fine for selling a game to a minor? If I remember correctly, that's even more than selling alcohol or cigarretes to kids. And what exactly do they hope to accomplish by putting M and AO (which few retailers even stock) games behind the counter? For one thing, nearly every store keeps already keep most of their console games behind the counter, or in locked display cases. And do you really think a kid is going to risk getting caught trying to steal a game when he can send his stupid parents (who would probably be paying for it anyway) to buy it for them?
2006-02-22, 9:22 PM #2
Utah isn't a reallll state anyway
2006-02-22, 9:23 PM #3
walmart has it's PC games on racks
*runs*
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-22, 9:23 PM #4
A 100 dollar fine would be enough to deter me from selling. Seriously, that's ridiculous.
D E A T H
2006-02-22, 9:28 PM #5
Minors will get still these games the same way they get alcohol or cigs: pay/bribe someone to buy it for them.
2006-02-22, 9:32 PM #6
Or their parents will buy them.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-22, 9:35 PM #7
Originally posted by Avenger:
Or their parents will buy them.

I wish my parents bought alcohol for me. :p
D E A T H
2006-02-22, 9:38 PM #8
This is in Utah? ****!

*runs to store to whorde games before retailers catch up*
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-02-23, 12:18 AM #9
Soon you'll have green blood in games.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-02-23, 2:33 AM #10
Or people replaced by robots who bleed oil.
2006-02-23, 5:52 AM #11
No one lives in Kansas anyway . . .

Kids, it's okay to drink and smoke BUT DON'T TOUCH D00M3!
2006-02-23, 5:53 AM #12
May the Force be with Kansas.

omgfinnjoke
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-23, 6:32 AM #13
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
No one lives in Kansas anyway . . .
Guess why I posted this in the first place. :p
2006-02-23, 7:12 AM #14
Next thing you know they're going to do something about racing games because it would encourage speeding.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-02-23, 7:31 AM #15
Originally posted by Impi:
Soon you'll have green blood in games.

Stupid German Law...

I don't even get what the point of green blood is.

oh well as for this topic I still think it is the kids and parrents resposibility to keep track of the games their kids play. I think the ESRB does an ok job of telling people why a game got the rating it did. I am usualy more concerned about the fine print on the back than the big letter on the front anyway. As to wether of not it's a good law, I don't know but 1,000 does seem a bit harsh.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-02-23, 11:14 AM #16
$1000 fine is harsh compared to a $500 fine for selling alcohol to underage.
2006-02-23, 11:32 AM #17
Huh, in Texas it's $500 and like 3 days in jail for alcohol.

Whats sad is I read "Utah" and thought they said "Ugh" until I read it again and realized they were talking about a state.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-02-23, 12:03 PM #18
I think all this is because the people old enough to be in goverment weren't able to play these kinds of games as kids. They barely know enough to use office and the thought of virtual reality scares them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when this generation gets old enough for politics.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-23, 12:15 PM #19
Originally posted by Centrist:
I think all this is because the people old enough to be in goverment weren't able to play these kinds of games as kids. They barely know enough to use office and the thought of virtual reality scares them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when this generation gets old enough for politics.

Indeed. The adult generation don't really understand our generation's video games because they didn't grow up with playing games. It is like the same thing with comic books a long time ago, one generation looking down on comic-book-loving people and claiming that these books have negative influence on society.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-23, 12:31 PM #20
Originally posted by THRAWN:
Huh, in Texas it's $500 and like 3 days in jail for alcohol.

Whats sad is I read "Utah" and thought they said "Ugh" until I read it again and realized they were talking about a state.

It wouldn't surprise me if you told me it was the death penalty for those who sold games to underaged children in Texas. :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-23, 12:33 PM #21
Lolll

Kikis Spam Service
2006-02-23, 12:40 PM #22
Originally posted by Jepman:
It wouldn't surprise me if you told me it was the death penalty for those who sold games to underaged children in Texas. :p

Ironically, id software, among other game companies, is based in Dallas, Texas.
2006-02-23, 12:44 PM #23
Originally posted by Jepman:

If this happened in Texas, I somehow wouldn't be supprised
2006-02-23, 1:44 PM #24
yeah in ohio its $500 with some jail time but usully just the $500.
2006-02-23, 2:19 PM #25
Utah would rather let minors drink and kill people drunk driving than doing it in a simulation.
2006-02-23, 2:20 PM #26
Originally posted by Echoman:
Indeed. The adult generation don't really understand our generation's video games because they didn't grow up with playing games. It is like the same thing with comic books a long time ago, one generation looking down on comic-book-loving people and claiming that these books have negative influence on society.

Ah, the days of Zombie = BANNED
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-23, 2:27 PM #27
Originally posted by Centrist:
We'll find another fad to ***** about. It's an endless cycle, really.
2006-02-23, 3:52 PM #28
Originally posted by Spook:
This is in Utah? ****!

*runs to store to whorde games before retailers catch up*

Ah yes, my home state, meth capital of the country, cracks down on M rated games instead. Morons!

*runs with spook to grab games also*
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-02-23, 4:50 PM #29
[QUOTE=Numenor King]I am usualy more concerned about the fine print on the back than the big letter on the front anyway.[/QUOTE]
YES! YEEEEES! Someone who thinks like me!

To be honest, this law won't do a thing. At all. And another thing to note is that we have immature adults playing these games too, so what's the difference? OMG KIDZZ R PLAYING THEM, BUT THIS DRUNK 19 YEAR OLD WHO THINKS KILLING A HOOKER IS THE WAY TO LIVE HIS LIFE IS OK.

Ok, I exaggerate...but still, what's the difference between an immature kid and an immature adult playing these games? Personally, I think I could handle the blood and gore of Doom3. I'm not going to go kill a hooker after banging her in the *** because I did it on GTA, I know the difference and I'm a KID!

Bah..I don't know what to say.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-02-23, 5:48 PM #30
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
Ah yes, my home state, meth capital of the country, cracks down on M rated games instead. Morons!

*runs with spook to grab games also*

Dude there have been two meth labs in my neighborhood in the past five years. I was all 'damn, I wanted to get in on the selling action'.

I think there is another one. They have wild parties and their basement is blocked off with plastic curtains. I found black lacy panties in my friend's bushes the other day. I feel left out. :gbk:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-02-23, 6:10 PM #31
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:

some states removed the death penalty, while the state im in (texas) is putting in a express lane for it ;p
Matt
2006-02-23, 6:41 PM #32
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:

Neither of you two are from or have been in Texas for very long have you?

↑ Up to the top!