Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Seems to be that time of year...
Seems to be that time of year...
2006-02-23, 7:41 PM #1
Everyone's specing out new PCs (and i'm no different). Due to a lack of space and the fact that the fans on my current computer are driving me to the point of near insanity (let me rephrase that: the one HSF is driving me crazy, and the processor has a nasty habit of overheating during the summer producing random crashes), i've decided to go all-out and replace my entire system (i also want to ditch the power-sucking monstrosity that is my P4 Prescott 3.0ghz).

My current computer:
  • P4 Prescott 3.0ghz
  • unknown motherboard (whatever MDG had at the time. suffice to say that i will NEVER buy from them again)
  • 1024mb of PC2700 (DDR400) Kingston RAM (2 512mb sticks)
  • random 160gb HDD (i can't remember what make it is. i'll look it up later and update this thread when i can)
  • Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
  • Chaintech GeForce 6600 256mb PCI-E
  • BenQ DVD Burner (another company i will avoid for the next build)
  • LG DVD-ROM
  • random floppy drive (i really have no clue what it is)

General guidelines:
  • It has to out-perform my old computer (with today's parts, that shouldn't be much of a problem)
  • It has to fit in this case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-sg01.htm
  • I've already pre-selected the Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum as my soundcard
  • Slot-loading DVD-burner (the pextor model looks good)
  • At least 1 firewire header/port is preferable as i like the ability to transfer files to my iPod at a relatively high speed
  • No P4s
  • It CANNOT under any circumstances sound like a high-powered vacume cleaner (if i can, i'd like this thing running quieter than my parents' 1.0ghz P3).
  • I live in canada, so Tigerdirect.ca will probably be my primary source for parts.

There you have it folks. Go wild!!!!
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-02-23, 7:49 PM #2
Originally posted by Forsakahn:
Everyone's specing out new PCs (and i'm no different). Due to a lack of space and the fact that the fans on my current computer are driving me to the point of near insanity (let me rephrase that: the one HSF is driving me crazy, and the processor has a nasty habit of overheating during the summer producing random crashes), i've decided to go all-out and replace my entire system (i also want to ditch the power-sucking monstrosity that is my P4 Prescott 3.0ghz).

My current computer:
  • P4 Prescott 3.0ghz
  • unknown motherboard (whatever MDG had at the time. suffice to say that i will NEVER buy from them again)
  • 1024mb of PC2700 (DDR400) Kingston RAM (2 512mb sticks)
  • random 160gb HDD (i can't remember what make it is. i'll look it up later and update this thread when i can)
  • Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
  • Chaintech GeForce 6600 256mb PCI-E
  • BenQ DVD Burner (another company i will avoid for the next build)
  • LG DVD-ROM
  • random floppy drive (i really have no clue what it is)

General guidelines:
  • It has to out-perform my old computer (with today's parts, that shouldn't be much of a problem)
  • It has to fit in this case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-sg01.htm
  • I've already pre-selected the Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum as my soundcard
  • Slot-loading DVD-burner (the pextor model looks good)
  • At least 1 firewire header/port is preferable as i like the ability to transfer files to my iPod at a relatively high speed
  • No P4s
  • It CANNOT under any circumstances sound like a high-powered vacume cleaner (if i can, i'd like this thing running quieter than my parents' 1.0ghz P3).
  • I live in canada, so Tigerdirect.ca will probably be my primary source for parts.

There you have it folks. Go wild!!!!

A few problems...

1) DDR400 is PC3200 RAM. Find out which it is, because if it's PC3200 it's still viable and usable RAM.
2) The X-Fi Platinum is a waste of money. Get the 120 dollar edition if nothing else (120 US that is, I think the music edition). You don't need the Platinum, or if you do, there's a lot better cards for cheaper that do the same thing. Ask Emon or someone similar.
3) Slot-loading not only scratches CDs and DVD's more easily, but it costs about 120 US as compared to 40 US. You can get it, but there's no need to spend that much, honestly. Not only that, but you have the chance of the CD/DVD getting stuck in the drive, which (while not high) is still significant. And saying "It hasn't happened to me yet" won't stop it from happening.

Other than that....are you looking for Gaming performance, or what? What all is this computer FOR?
D E A T H
2006-02-23, 8:01 PM #3
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]A few problems...

1) DDR400 is PC3200 RAM. Find out which it is, because if it's PC3200 it's still viable and usable RAM.
2) The X-Fi Platinum is a waste of money. Get the 120 dollar edition if nothing else (120 US that is, I think the music edition). You don't need the Platinum, or if you do, there's a lot better cards for cheaper that do the same thing. Ask Emon or someone similar.
3) Slot-loading not only scratches CDs and DVD's more easily, but it costs about 120 US as compared to 40 US. You can get it, but there's no need to spend that much, honestly. Not only that, but you have the chance of the CD/DVD getting stuck in the drive, which (while not high) is still significant. And saying "It hasn't happened to me yet" won't stop it from happening.

Other than that....are you looking for Gaming performance, or what? What all is this computer FOR?[/QUOTE]

Calm down yoshi.

1. Thanx for the correction (i figured something didn't look quite right when i was typing it).
2. my main reason for wanting the platinum is I/O drive (the controller that fits into a drive bay). I've already got a place lined up that beats even tigerdirect's price.
3. thanx for the tip on the slot-load. if worst comes to worst, i'll probably end up with another LG if need be.

As for uses, the PC will be used both for gaming and for CAD work (with programs like Solidworks). My current machine can do both now, so i'm not terribly worried about its successor failing to run Solidworks.
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-02-23, 8:16 PM #4
Calm down yoshi.

1. Thanx for the correction (i figured something didn't look quite right when i was typing it).
2. my main reason for wanting the platinum is I/O drive (the controller that fits into a drive bay). I've already got a place lined up that beats even tigerdirect's price.
3. thanx for the tip on the slot-load. if worst comes to worst, i'll probably end up with another LG if need be.

As for uses, the PC will be used both for gaming and for CAD work (with programs like Solidworks). My current machine can do both now, so i'm not terribly worried about its successor failing to run Solidworks.

I was vehement in my post? Eh.

2) You can get that with a lot of different cards. Ask around, I'm sure someone will reccommend you one. And chances are it's loads cheaper.

Alright then...down to business...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131558
CPU: AMD64 3700+ San Diego core.
RAM: 1x1gb more of Corsair Value DDR400 if you do indeed have PC3200. If you have PC2700, get 2x1gb PC3200 from Corsair Value. Or Crucial if you want. Even Kingston. Hell, whatever's cheapest, almost.
Video Card: 7800GTX 512mb (only 750 bucks :p). But in all seriousness, I suggest the X1900XT if you want best performance, but the 7800GTX if you want best quality.

You don't need firewire because IIRC USB2.0 bandwidth matches firewire.

Also, anyone feel free to correct me on a better motherboard. That one seems fine, but I'm not well versed in the world of Micro-ATX
D E A T H
2006-02-23, 8:29 PM #5
From my own experience, NCIX is pretty great as far computer parts are concerned. Their selection is great, most of their prices are good, their service is excellent, even their packing is good. You can also price match from other online places if the price at NCIX is higher. There are other stores as well. If you're trying to find the cheapest price for a certain part, there are search engines like Computers Canada and BBF, but the only reason I use those is to price match to get a lower price at NCIX. Some of those stores are just too "shady" in their dealings.

... Wow, I'm sounding too much like an ad for that store.
2006-02-23, 8:38 PM #6
actually, the cheapest price i found for the soundcard is at the bookstore on campus at my college (as long as its not one of the ultra-rare hardcore gamer parts like one of the NZXT chasis, they seem able to get it.)
2006-02-24, 3:44 PM #7
anyone else have some imput? surely more than 2 Massassians have some ideas/oppinions.
2006-02-24, 5:17 PM #8
I prefer to respec in the off season...what?
"The solution is simple."
2006-02-24, 5:37 PM #9
anyone else have some imput? surely more than 2 Massassians have some ideas/oppinions.

Since your system is already almost as good as mine, if not as fast, I really don't feel like researching newer stuff..might make me want to upgrade something. :p
woot!
2006-02-24, 6:10 PM #10
For silence, check out Panaflo's fans. Get the L models as opposed to H, M or U. Low is low speed, M is medium, H is high and U is ultra. For example, the model number for the 80mm low speed Panaflo is FBA08A12L1A. H1A would be the high speed model. Tigerdirect may carry them. I know SVC and Directron do, but I'm unsure of their shipping to Canada. They can be pricey, but are definitely worth it. They're quieter and last longer than other fans because of Panasonic's proprietary sleeve-bearing technology which they call HydroWave or something like that. If you look on Panasonic's site and look at some photos (just google "panaflo") you'll notice the fin design is significantly more swept that typical fans, which allows them to push more air per rotation, so they don't have to spin as fast to move as much air and are thus quieter. They come in all sizes, and the bigger, the quieter. Smaller fans have a higher frequency noise which tends not only to be louder, but much more annoying.

Check out Zalman for quiet cooling. I recommend their passive video cooling solutions (which are optionally active) and their CPU HSFs are great, too.

The sound card you've selected is fine. But what are you requirements? There may be better choices. What about the IO bay do you need? Are you using it for gaming? Do you need surround sound or do you just need stereo? Gaming with a decent set of stereo headphones easily beats out any surround system, in my opinion. Just something to think about.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-24, 6:25 PM #11
May I mention that this is just about the worste time to spec out for a new computer? Most people would be better off waiting until DX10 and Vista are out. But thats just my opinion, and who am I to talk. Got myself a new computer 3 months ago. :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-24, 7:08 PM #12
400$ is quite a bit for a sound card. You should only spend that much if you have really, really, really good speakers and are building a state of the art SLi/Crossfire set up. And do sound editing. And have way to much money.
2006-02-24, 8:04 PM #13
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You should only spend that much if you have really, really, really good speakers

If you have speakers which justify a $400 source, then you have speakers which are more worthy than anything with the Soundblaster label on it. The X-Fis actually measure WORSE than the Audigy 2/4 in some metrics, although it's arguable how much that matters. But the point is that when Creative claims the X-Fis to be the highest fidelity cards out there, they are full of ****.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-25, 7:32 AM #14
X-Fi Platinum is NOT $400 (not even over here). You're probably thinking of the X-Fi Elite Pro, which comes with a breakout box and has 64mb of XRAM. The platinum is the second model up, and i've gotten the price quoted at $210CAD. As for uses, no, i don't use it with surround speakers (again, lack of space). I do however run it to a full-sized stereo system, as well as a good set of headphones (one of the reasons i want an I/O bay is to finally be able to control my Sennheiser HD-212Pros). Another reason i want it is for the advanced simulated surround sound (which could prove to be quite helpful for both some in-game audio and watching DVDs).

As for the Panaflo, i've heared very good things about those fans. For the HSF however, Silverstone has come up with its own model that was designed specifically for the SG01, so i'll probably use that along with their crossflow fan.

As for the processor, i'm more interested in the Athlon64 X2s as dual-core will give me better performance in dev programs (such as Solidworks and Photoshop, should i ever use it again). Finally, as for DX10 and Vista, DX10 intrigues me, but i'm not likely to jump ship on XP for a while. Vista intrigued me when it was announced, but each new news update just puts me off of it a little bit more.
2006-02-25, 9:35 AM #15
X-Fi Platinum is NOT $400 (not even over here). You're probably thinking of the X-Fi Elite Pro, which comes with a breakout box and has 64mb of XRAM. The platinum is the second model up, and i've gotten the price quoted at $210CAD. As for uses, no, i don't use it with surround speakers (again, lack of space). I do however run it to a full-sized stereo system, as well as a good set of headphones (one of the reasons i want an I/O bay is to finally be able to control my Sennheiser HD-212Pros). Another reason i want it is for the advanced simulated surround sound (which could prove to be quite helpful for both some in-game audio and watching DVDs).

As for the Panaflo, i've heared very good things about those fans. For the HSF however, Silverstone has come up with its own model that was designed specifically for the SG01, so i'll probably use that along with their crossflow fan.

As for the processor, i'm more interested in the Athlon64 X2s as dual-core will give me better performance in dev programs (such as Solidworks and Photoshop, should i ever use it again). Finally, as for DX10 and Vista, DX10 intrigues me, but i'm not likely to jump ship on XP for a while. Vista intrigued me when it was announced, but each new news update just puts me off of it a little bit more.

While this is true about Photoshop and Solidworks, the performance difference probably won't be overly noticeable especially considering you don't use Photoshop at all right now, what are the chances you'll use it intensively in the future? And the single-core alternatives are usually a bit better for single-threaded applications (gaming).
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!