Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I've got a job!
I've got a job!
2006-02-23, 11:56 PM #1
So on Friday (of last week, so February 17) I get a call from a man from ABT Technologies about interviewing for a Network Consultant position at their firm. He asks some questions about my experience and such, then sets me up a date with another man for a phone interview on the following Monday (February 20) at around 4 pm (central time).

When the time came I received a phone call, and went through the interview, I though I hadn't answered some of the answers too well, and totally bombed a few of the technical questions he asked. He said they had a few more people to talk to, and then decide who they want to call back to meet in person.

The next morning (very surprisingly) they call and ask when I'd be available to meet with them. I said as soon as possible, so we setup a time to meet, which was yesterday (February 22) at 3 pm (central time)

I go, meet with the 2 men who started the company (one at a time, the first one was the one who I had had the phone interview with) Asked typical questions, ("Tell me about yourself" "What do you do when you're not working or studying" kinds of questions) This time I thought it went very well. They said they had a couple more people to meet with, and would make their decision from there, said it may take up to 2 weeks. (Though, during the interview, the second person I met with jokingly said "There's still a few more hours left in the day" when he asked when I'd be available.

So today around 6:22 (according to Hotmail) I received an e-mail which said:

Quote:
I am pleased to present an offer letter to you to join ATB Technologies. The attached letter is a formal offer for you to join our company as a Network Consultant.

I was very pleased!

Starting off salary of 15,000 a year, which, granted, isn't exactly great, but I'll have full benefits. They pay for the employee, and (if necessary) I would pay for any dependants.

I start on Monday (February 27) I'm very excited, and also very nervous.

This is the first job I've ever gotten through an interview. My mom got me my last job and my Brother got me my first job. This is also my first computer-related job.
2006-02-24, 12:00 AM #2
grats man, hope it makes you happy
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-24, 12:03 AM #3
W E L C O M E T O T H E S Y S T E M .
2006-02-24, 4:27 AM #4
congrats man thats sick, are you still in school as well and are you living at home?
I <3 Massassi
2006-02-24, 8:17 AM #5
Congrats :)
Pissed Off?
2006-02-24, 9:10 AM #6
Thanks guys!

No, I just finished school in december. I am still living at home, and likely will be for some time, simply to get myself some money saved up, and things like that.
2006-02-24, 11:22 AM #7
Congratulations, that's awesome. 15k/yr, what country are you in again?
2006-02-24, 11:39 AM #8
Well, that works out to about 10 bucks an hour full time. For a first interview-required job, that's not bad. Plus full benefits, like he said, which is unusual for such low pay.

EDIT: further refined calculations peg it at 7 bucks an hour assuming full time work (meaning 40 hours a week and 2 weeks of vacation/yr). Hm. Hopefully you'll get some good raises quickly.

$15000 / (5 days/wk * (52 wks/yr - 2 weeks vacation)*8 hrs/day) = $7.00/hr
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-24, 12:03 PM #9
Congrats, bud.
2006-02-24, 12:05 PM #10
Congrats, man. That beats my job at Chuck E. Cheese. :/
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-02-25, 12:47 AM #11
My dad suggested calculating it based on 2000 hours a year, which works out to around 7.50 an hour.

And Brian:

I live in the US. Missouri to be exact.
2006-02-25, 3:47 AM #12
Awesome! :D
woot!

↑ Up to the top!