Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Attachments.
Attachments.
2006-02-25, 8:28 PM #1
We would like it if you would use alternative methods of posting images to the forums. As evident by the 403 error thread, we seem to be having some problems in the forums. Our current line of thinking is that the attachments in the database is becoming too overburdened. We're not going to close attachments wholly, but we strong urge the use of third party means. I had a looksey into the attachment section of the forums and it was 302.42 MB in size. Aaaand, each of the attachments are stored as a binary BLOB in the database rather than individual files

Some image hosting places you can try (just off the top of my head) are ImageShack and Photobucket. I'll leave this open for you all to give feedback on whether this might be a cause (if anyone has experiences in such database matters) or to give image hosting alternatives.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-25, 8:44 PM #2
If anyone needs to host non-image files, contact me via PM or e-mail. I'm happy to host for a month or so.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-25, 8:51 PM #3
Anyone know of a good free FTP client for Mac? It would make uploading pictures to my webspace a whole lot easier.
2006-02-25, 9:03 PM #4
ive used fetch for mac FTP, but im not sure if its free.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-25, 9:12 PM #5
Originally posted by MBeggar:
ive used fetch for mac FTP, but im not sure if its free.

$25. :(
2006-02-25, 9:16 PM #6
I use Internet Explorer for FTP... I don't know if that will work on mac though.
2006-02-25, 9:19 PM #7
I'm not installing IE on here. I feel bad enough having Office on my Mac. :(
2006-02-25, 9:20 PM #8
I remember DS trimming the attachments last time they got big, i think he took them down to the last 200 or so
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-25, 9:45 PM #9
Originally posted by Shintock:
Anyone know of a good free FTP client for Mac? It would make uploading pictures to my webspace a whole lot easier.

I think OSX will do it natively like Windows will.... >.> Not sure though.... been awhile since I've tried to FTP from our iMac.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-02-25, 10:52 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
If anyone needs to host non-image files, contact me via PM or e-mail. I'm happy to host for a month or so.

keep those .avi's small, guys :p
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-02-25, 10:52 PM #11
Are we allowed to link directly to an image on another site?
2006-02-25, 10:55 PM #12
Yeah, just prune old attachments. That's what they do at the por... uh... um... other forums I visit that have attachments.

-... *hides*
2006-02-25, 11:12 PM #13
Yeah. Can't you just prune some of the attatchments?
Pissed Off?
2006-02-26, 2:51 AM #14
Originally posted by Shintock:
I'm not installing IE on here. I feel bad enough having Office on my Mac. :(

To be fair to MS, Office for Mac is the dog's bollocks. It's (imo) far superior in look, feel and behaviour to the windows version.

And yeah, I'm for the attachment prune.
2006-02-26, 5:14 AM #15
Code:
DELETE from Attachment_Table
WHERE UserID != "gbk"
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-02-26, 6:44 AM #16
Okay, I just went to delete a bunch of my old attachments... though it looks like I can't delete any from threads that have been locked (e.g. "Post thy pic") because there is no little checkbox next to those items
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-02-26, 7:02 AM #17
Huh.
2006-02-26, 8:27 AM #18
There. Now stay on topic.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-26, 11:43 AM #19
Um, the errors are from a security module I installed and I'm still trying to tweak it. It's not to do with attachments, so don't sweat this at all at this point.

↑ Up to the top!