Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Blu-ray or HD-DVD... which is going to win?
Blu-ray or HD-DVD... which is going to win?
2006-02-28, 2:47 PM #1
If the VHS/Betamax debacle in the 1980s taught us anything, it's that the market will tolerate one format-- if there are two formats that are similar, only one of them will make it.

So, which of the new DVD formats is going to be the new standard and which will be the next betamax?

Then again, standard DVD is good enough for most people. It's gotten to the point where prices are low enogh for virtually anyone to afford, so people may just say "f*** it" to the new formats and stick with DVD. After all, who really wants to repurchase their entire movie collection just to get slightly better picture? I think there's a point of diminishing returns in movie quality, and i think that DVD was it.

Plus, the new formats have considerable DRM, but that will be broken in short order by those who know how, but everyone else is going to be pissed off.

So, which format will win?
2006-02-28, 2:52 PM #2
I voted Blu-ray.

It has the coolest name.
2006-02-28, 2:55 PM #3
Blu-Ray.

The exact same reason Rob posted already.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-28, 3:01 PM #4
Both will DIE!
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-02-28, 3:02 PM #5
I think DvD still has alot of life left.

Also, which one is the one that can still play DvDs? I think HD Dvd players will be able to if I recall.
2006-02-28, 3:04 PM #6
I'm going to go with DvD.

What's different that Blu-ray does?

Oh, and what the frick is HD-DVD?
nope.
2006-02-28, 3:08 PM #7
They're both going to fade into obscurity like DVD-Audio and SACD, because nobody wants to buy an actual physical disk when they can get it without having an actual object.
Stuff
2006-02-28, 3:14 PM #8
if HD-DVD can play DVDs, then i'd go with that.
2006-02-28, 3:14 PM #9
Blu-ray has a cooler name, but does anyone honestly think VHS was a cooler name than Betamax?

>.>

<.<
2006-02-28, 3:19 PM #10
Both will flop. No body is going to want to purchase a new player for these formats. And I do not think a good # of people have HDTVs. If not a flop then it will take YEARS for it to gain popularity. VHS basically stuck around for two decades until DVD became popular. And that was only what five years ago?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-28, 3:24 PM #11
Originally posted by Overlord:
I think DvD still has alot of life left.

Also, which one is the one that can still play DvDs? I think HD Dvd players will be able to if I recall.

I don't see why either would stop playing DVDs.

It's just like DVD players, they all play CDs.

Anyway, Blu-Ray will own the HD-DVD.

It has:

1. New polymer to protect from scratches, even BAD ones.
2. Holds more data.
3. Will be in the PS3
4. Has many features planned in the future.
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2006-02-28, 4:56 PM #12
How about some links to either one? I allow them each 5 minutes of my time to plead their case.
2006-02-28, 5:11 PM #13
Originally posted by Tsukasa:
I don't see why either would stop playing DVDs.

It's just like DVD players, they all play CDs.

Anyway, Blu-Ray will own the HD-DVD.

It has:

1. New polymer to protect from scratches, even BAD ones.
2. Holds more data.
3. Will be in the PS3
4. Has many features planned in the future.

No, Blu Ray players don't play DVDs...
2006-02-28, 5:28 PM #14
Yes, both formats are backwards compatable, and both formats increase the playback resolution on standard DVD's for (what they claim to be) a sharper, clearer image. Personally, I'd prefer it if HD-DVD wins the format war, simply because it's supposed to be a lot cheaper, and the difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD isn't all that huge.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-02-28, 5:45 PM #15
I voted both will die. but that was mainly because i didnt know what they actually were until i google defined. ill go with blu-ray, its backed by more compaines:

There is a competition between two main technologies: AOD (jointly developed by NEC and Toshiba) and Blu-ray (a consortium formed by Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Thomson, Hitachi, Matsu****a, Pioneer + Philips, Mistubishi and LG Electronics.)

27.gb on one disc, thats pretty cool..
Take that there and put it in here
2006-02-28, 7:08 PM #16
Quote:
Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

For all you naysayers.

Code:
Parameters
	BD-ROM 	HD-DVD-ROM
Storage capacity (single-layer) 	25GB 	15GB
Storage capacity (dual-layer) 	50GB 	30GB
Laser wavelength 	405nm 	405nm
Numerical aperture (NA) 	0.85 	0.65
Protection layer 	0.1mm 	0.6mm
Data transfer rate (1x)       36.0Mbps           36.55Mbps
Data transfer rate (movie application)    54.0Mbps (1.5x)           36.55Mbps
Video compression 	
MPEG-2                MPEG-2
MPEG-4 AVC         MPEG-4 AVC
SMPTE VC-1          SMPTE VC-1

Parameters
	BD-R 	HD-DVD-R
Data transfer rate (1x)    36.0Mbps          36.55Mbps
Video compression 	
MPEG-2	               MPEG-2
MPEG-4 AVC          MPEG-4 AVC
SMPTE VC-1           SMPTE VC-1

Parameters
	BD-RE 	HD-DVD-RW
Data transfer rate (1x)  36.0Mbps   36.55Mbps
Video compression 	
MPEG-2                     MPEG-2
MPEG-4 AVC              MPEG-4 AVC
SMPTE VC-1               SMPTE VC-1

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

When the whole battle started, the two formats were vastly different from each other. Now, it really makes little difference who wins. I'm hoping that a merge of the two may still be possible.

But realistically, I'm not going to buy either one unless they're cheap and reliable, and provide vastly greater quality. HDCP enabled video cards would be nice too. I'm still holding out for HVD though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc. :D
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-28, 7:17 PM #17
The New York Times had an excellent article about the HD-DVD/Blu-ray battle a couple of days ago. Personally, I think that Blu-ray is going to win, especially with the PS3 to back it up. However, if the PS3 is indeed delayed, then Blu-ray will lose a huge advantage.

*Note: Registration is required for the NY Times article.*
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2006-02-28, 7:59 PM #18
The PS3 will make the Blu-Ray win.

If you don't believe me, look at DVD. The sole reason DVD caught on and exploded like it did was because of the PS2. When the PS2 arrived in Japan, it was the cheapest DVD player available.

I suspect the same thing will occur again.
2006-02-28, 8:02 PM #19
Blu-Ray

1. It gets unveiled May 23rd, much earlier than HD-DVD. That includes movies (although crappy) and player.

2. PS3

3. HDDVD camp just lost another big supporter, NEC, to Sony. Sony just recently acquired 55% of NEC's optical media department, and guess what, they just went Bluray.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-02-28, 8:23 PM #20
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
How about some links to either one? I allow them each 5 minutes of my time to plead their case.

Why don't you use 30 seconds of that 5 minuts to wikipedia it, instead of complaining like a ninny.

Here, I'll even get you started.

http://www.wikipedia.org
2006-02-28, 9:26 PM #21
Blu Ray will win. It can hold more data. This means a higher bitrate. This means better quality video and sound. Blu Ray will win. If you disagree, you are wrong.
>>untie shoes
2006-02-28, 11:25 PM #22
Bluray sounds like power, baby.

Sexy power.

Grrowl.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-28, 11:32 PM #23
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Blu-Ray

1. It gets unveiled May 23rd, much earlier than HD-DVD. That includes movies (although crappy) and player.

2. PS3

3. HDDVD camp just lost another big supporter, NEC, to Sony. Sony just recently acquired 55% of NEC's optical media department, and guess what, they just went Bluray.

HD-DVD players (and movies) begin coming out in March.
2006-03-01, 5:23 AM #24
ah, my bad. I was under the assumption that the players will come out in March, and the movies later.

2006-03-01, 6:36 AM #25
Originally posted by Bill:
Blu Ray will win. It can hold more data. This means a higher bitrate. This means better quality video and sound. Blu Ray will win. If you disagree, you are wrong.

But is the quality difference between HD and Blu Ray that great to warrant paying more for a Blu Ray disc as opposed to an HD one?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-03-01, 6:46 AM #26
oh well if blu ray can play DVD too then retract my HDDVD vote and put me in the group of people who wouldnt buy either anyway for a good 3 or 4 years.
2006-03-01, 6:57 AM #27
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
But is the quality difference between HD and Blu Ray that great to warrant paying more for a Blu Ray disc as opposed to an HD one?

Who says you'll have to pay more?

There hasn't been pricing for either yet.

2006-03-01, 7:05 AM #28
Yeah, but current speculation suggests Blu Ray will be slightly more expensive.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-03-01, 7:07 AM #29

Was that the speculation before or after they removed the plastic housing for the discs? It used to be the discs had to have a plastic housing, but with a new polymer coating, that became unnecessary, and thus, cheaper.

2006-03-01, 8:07 AM #30
Blu-Ray seems to have a significantly higher storage capacity. It would also be relevant to remember that when considering the prices.

But a Blu-Ray writer would be sweet. 25 GB on a single-layer disk. It could cost 4 or 5 times as much as a DVDR and still be a good bargain. Well, with the double-layer DVDRs still so expensive, I don't know how cheap blu-rays could get, in the end.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-01, 11:27 AM #31
HD-DVD because thats what Serenity is coming out on... :D
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2006-03-01, 3:18 PM #32
I'm going to end up waiting to see which one wins the format war, and then jump on that particular bandwagon.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-03-01, 7:17 PM #33

For regular movies (not rewritables, I wasn't quite sure which ones you were talking about), "theatrical Blu-ray Disc movies will sell for $23.45, a fifteen percent over what suppliers were charging for new-release DVDs.

Sony also announced today DVD-UMD bundles that will eventually transform into Blu-ray Disc-UMD bundles. Starting March 28, consumers can buy DVD-UMD combo packs of The Grudge, Resident Evil, Underworld, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Terminator. Each combo is priced at $28.95, a few dollars more than Sony typically charges for a new DVD. Sony typically charges $24.96-$26.96 for new DVD releases, while titles new to UMD generally list for $19.95."

That combo pack actually sounds good. I was hoping they would do that when they first released UMDs

↑ Up to the top!