Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Since I want some opinions...
Since I want some opinions...
2006-03-02, 4:13 PM #1
Guys, please don't turn this into a flame war. I'm building a computer, I want parts reccomendation.

Budget is $650 American, I'm not going over at all. I'm waiting a while on video cards, since Yoshi told me the new nVidia/ATi lines are coming out this month, with lower prices for older cards (I'm thinking 6600 GT, maybe 6800).

It's going to be a gaming machine, and I'm not going to overclock. I want all parts from newegg.com

I've decided on an AMD 3700+ San Diego core, and a $25 case with a 430W PSU. Everything else is up for debate, and I'm not taking under 1 gig of RAM.

For RAM I was thinking maybe this.

I'd like opinions on mobo, video card, and I'll go with an 80 gig Seagate HD or something. I think I found a cheap DVD-RW/CD-RW that I'm going to buy, which'd be nice.

So..DEBATE. And try to help me, please.

Oh, and with that RAM, I'm currently at $383. That leaves a good $250 for you guys to use, but that doesn't include a CD/DVD drive either.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-02, 4:18 PM #2
6800 is pretty good for most of what is out right now. next-gen cards are going to destroy it, but it is alright for most things.
for a mobo, it pretty much depends on the vid card. obviously you need a 939 pin for your amd processor, the rest depends on agp or pci-e.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-03-02, 4:26 PM #3
Found a good looking (5 star) Combo Drive for $27 that looks like it'll serve my purposes. $240 left to play with for video card/mobo guys. I plan on upgrading this computer in the future as the times change, but will a 6800GT be adequate for a year, atleast?

OK, now I've got a question. Will I lose a noticable amount in performance if I go refurbished? I could save a good 30 - 40 dollars if I go refurbished, which would be like a month sooner on my buying of the parts.

Edit Part II: After the next wave of video cards come out, will the price on this (6800GT, 256mb) drop down from 215? I can wait a month or so while I build up a little more money if this is the case.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-02, 4:56 PM #4
OK, I've got my computer parts selected and think they have good specs, but any money saving and same quality parts you guys could direct me towards, well I'd be VERY VERY happy.

Case- Linkworld thing, 430W PSU, chose it because it's cheap and I'm not spending over $30 on a case.

Combo Drive- Looks fine, I don't need the very best stuff possible.

RAM- 1 gig, going to buy another gig after my HD, which I'm buying afterwards as well.

Processor- AMD 3700+ San Diego core, looked good, 64 bit, Yoshi highly reccomended it.

Video Card- ASUS 256mb 6800GT. If you could reccomend something that would be cheaper but roughly same quality, I would really like it. And will the price on this drop in a month or two?

Motherboard- Was a PAIN to find a mobo that had PCI-E 16x, 4 gb possible RAM, and talking with Yoshi, a chipset that didn't totally suck. I'm going with this.

Suggest, but don't lower quality a significant amount. And don't make me pay more than I already am, if you could. It's 630 before shipping, I imagine 660 or 70 after. Next thing I'm buying is a 160 gig HD, I'll just stick with my 40 gig until then though, and after that is Windows XP.

Zloc.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-02, 8:09 PM #5
Don't get a black case unless you're getting black CD drives, white CD drives just look stupid.
2006-03-02, 9:30 PM #6
This should be in my forum.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-02, 9:33 PM #7
This should also be a bitter struggle between PC and Mac users like what happened in my thread.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-03-03, 4:58 AM #8
Originally posted by Yecti:
This should be in my forum.

Since when is it YOUR forum, you just sit there and stare at the pretty threads! :p
2006-03-03, 6:22 AM #9
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Don't get a black case unless you're getting black CD drives, white CD drives just look stupid.

Well then I guess it's a DAMN SHAME I don't care what my computer looks like. I'm not showing it off to anyone, I don't care what it looks like. I'm not going out of my way just to look good.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-03, 6:53 AM #10
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Since when is it YOUR forum, you just sit there and stare at the pretty threads! :p[/QUOTE]

And deal with the BANNINATION! >.> <.<
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!