Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Purple Heart as a Birthday Present!!!
Purple Heart as a Birthday Present!!!
2006-03-03, 1:42 AM #1
I got mortared while fillin sandbags and I got a little chunk of shrapnel in the leg. I am fine and my friends are jealous since I get a purple heart. Well figured it was worth a topic. Laters
2006-03-03, 2:36 AM #2
Just get two more and then use them in your campaign when you run for political office. ;)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-03-03, 3:22 AM #3
Hallmark doesn't make a 'Congrats on your first purple heart' card, dang.

Glad to hear your okay.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-03, 3:29 AM #4
Glad you're alright -- I suppose congratulations are in order. :)

Did you save the shrapnel? :D
woot!
2006-03-03, 3:53 AM #5
Mortar misfire? Enemy mortar?

Glad you're okay though.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-03, 3:59 AM #6
Purple heart! Congrats. No pain no gain they say. :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-03, 4:01 AM #7
they award you a purple heart for getting cut with some shrapnel? interesting.
2006-03-03, 4:13 AM #8
Originally posted by ragna:
they award you a purple heart for getting cut with some shrapnel? interesting.

http://www.usmcvta.org/pheart/phcriteria.htm
woot!
2006-03-03, 4:30 AM #9
Did you get the bastards who were throwing grenades at you?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-03, 6:38 AM #10
Originally posted by Echoman:

Yeah, elaborate.

Glad to hear your OK. I'm not going to say say you were lucky, but I will say (hehe) That is must have been your young physique (hehehe) that saved your life...
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-03, 6:43 AM #11

Glad you're okay though.

Probably the americans shooting each other again, at least the Brits didnt get hit by friendly fire this time :banned:

"its good to be in D.C, and I wont 3 purple heeaaaarts"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-03, 6:48 AM #12
ok we were in the corner of our FOB were we were filling up sandbags to stack around our new personnel housing units called CHU's. Well we have a huge dirt mound (like 30 feet tall) of dirt from the airforce excavating ground on our base to use as dirt to fill sandbags. So when we were running into clay and clumpy moist sand we started climbing the big ******* and knocking down lose dirt that was at the top since it was way easier filling sand bags with lose dirt as opposed to the clay chunks. Well we had been doing this for 3 days.

So it was yesterday after lunch my roomie was like hey its your turn get up there knock down some dirt. Then as I was up there my other roomie says to me Hey go up there to that peak (which was untouched and super loose dirt) I got up there on the ridge. As I got up there I was taking a BIG look around since I could see outside of the FOB (which has 20 feet sand barriers surrounding it). The roomie who told me to go up there says hey schlachter don't be a target while I was enjoying the view (in the desert you can see FOREVER... its pretty cool.) Just then I start to lower down a little to start shoving dirt down and I hear a loud BOOM behind me and like a rock hit my leg. I got down and rolled down the opposite side of the hill away from my friends towards were the mortar just landed (about 40 feet behind me). I saw the smoke and realized what just happened that we took incoming. So after that I ran around to other side of the hill because we heard another mortar shot (it was a willie P and it landed outside the FOB). All my friends were gone and my Sgt was the only one there and he's like why are you lieing down go over to the barrier (which was setup around the new CHU's). I said I got hit and show him the newly formed hole in my calf. He's like your fine get over there so I ran and slid into the barriers home run style showing off my new battle scar to all my friends :). The mortar men in our FOB responded with 3 HE 120mm rounds back there direction. I dunno if they hit since the hajji's fight guerrilla style = shoot and run. So by the time the rounds were landing they were probaly gone.

I got drove to the Aid Station where an officer pulled the little chunk of shrapnel out of the cauterized wound (since the metal is super hot.) My PSG put me in the for the purple heart and me and all my friends got CIB's that day. I have the piece of shrapnel in a cup and plan on keeping it for a long time. That day was the first day we have record of hajji shooting 60mm mortars at us since they usually use 81mm or 120mm... had it been one of those I would have been in some real trouble but thank god :). Well that is my story lol, it's not as badass as one would merit most purple hearts for but still getting hit by enemy shrapnel is kinda cool haha.
2006-03-03, 6:55 AM #13
Congrats on not getting blown the hell up!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-03, 7:18 AM #14
Remember you CS:S skills. Aim for the head. :em321:

Does enemy activity happen often?
2006-03-03, 7:39 AM #15
they tend to fire at 11-4 during the day when they are nice sunny days with little wind/overcast. between incoming and random IED's going on off and controlled detonations of caches/ieds theres alot of activity i guess, especially considering you'd think the war would be dieing down as time went on...(at least i thought that) but most guys said at this little FOB they have seen more in a week here then they have in there entire last deployments. 130 have died in the 101st since the war started but 60 of them come from this deployment (which started in september). I already lost a friend from basic... it's kind of nuts. He was hit by a pressure plate IED that set his 1114 uparmored humvee completely on fire. He and 3 others died... I was out on convoy that day but was in a different area thank god. I guess the hardest part is accepting that your friend IS gone... Before he left earlier that week he let me borrow his Ranger Handbook (infantryman's bible) to study, it had his last name and last 4 of his social on it. I plan on holding onto it forever.
2006-03-03, 7:49 AM #16
Dude! Glad you didn't try to catch that one with your teeth!
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-03, 8:57 AM #17
How far away do they fire mortars from? I would think there would be someone on post watching for that sort of thing.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-03, 9:14 AM #18
They do have people watching for that sort of thing, but it's hard to catch two men and a tube in a desert.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-03-03, 10:16 AM #19
Glad you're all right.

That must be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Hopefully.
2006-03-03, 11:28 AM #20
Congrats on surviving, now put the shrapnel on ebay!
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-03-03, 1:21 PM #21
Posts like this make me bloodthirsty.... like why am I in school and not out killing?
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-03, 1:33 PM #22
Let's hope this is the last purple heart you get, heh. Stay safe...
2006-03-05, 12:01 PM #23
Congrats on not dieing.

After reading that purple heart article up there makes it seem a lot less important though. From watching MASH I had always guessed it was some highly honourous thing from being badly wounded.
nope.
2006-03-05, 12:24 PM #24
Oh, and uh..happy birthday.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-05, 5:02 PM #25
Aren't all the Purple Hearts are made long ago?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-05, 6:11 PM #26
Originally posted by SoldierSnoop:
3 HE 120mm rounds

manna from heaven!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-05, 6:20 PM #27
Aren't all the Purple Hearts are made long ago?

What? It's not like they're rings of power.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-05, 7:14 PM #28
His your lagged up hitbox musta screwed up his aimbot...
2006-03-05, 7:32 PM #29
If they were, they are probably running out.

I am glad that shrapnel didn't injure you too badly. You need to attune your ESP and avoid that crap, next time.

↑ Up to the top!