Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sound file editor needed
Sound file editor needed
2006-03-04, 4:28 AM #1
Ok, google has let me down. What I need is a freeware sound file editor, and it really doesn't need to do very much, so naturally the next step is to ask Massassi if anyone knows of one!

Right, what I want to do is very simple - I want to just take chunks out of songs to make mp3 ringtones for my phone - ie just take out a chorus or a particular couple of lines and save it as a little mp3. The problem is that I'm on mac, and the majority of my files are in m4a format, otherwise I'd just use Audacity.

Help me Obi-Wan Massassi, you're my only hope :gbk:
2006-03-04, 4:54 AM #2
Originally posted by Audacity.com:
Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-04, 5:01 AM #3
Also, you suck at Google. Bad. The VERY FIRST result first "os x sound editor" is the Audacity home page. :/
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-04, 5:13 AM #4
Apart from Audacity doesn't work with m4a files.
2006-03-04, 5:14 AM #5
or then again, maybe it does now :o
2006-03-04, 5:16 AM #6
Ah, but it won't play them - now I remember. And I need to track down Lamelib (which I will do now...)

Here's the quote:

Audacity cannot import or export files in WMA, AAC, RealAudio, Shorten (SHN), or most other proprietary formats. Because of licensing and patent restrictions, we are not allowed to add these formats to Audacity. Future versions of Audacity might be able to support these formats using codecs installed in your operating system.
2006-03-04, 8:15 AM #7
itunes can convert m4a to wav which can then be edited in audacity which can then be reencoded to mp3
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-04, 8:47 AM #8
Coolios - I'll give that a try.
2006-03-04, 8:48 AM #9
Binary code....
:)

↑ Up to the top!