Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Geeks and Nerds
Geeks and Nerds
2004-06-13, 12:48 PM #1
Whats the difference? I was just wondering due to a conversation I was having with a friend.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-06-13, 12:50 PM #2
The difference between a nerd and a geek is the level of intelligence. If you can't tell them apart you're a dork.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-13, 12:52 PM #3
If he can't tell them apart he is a whale penis?!?!?!?

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-13, 12:53 PM #4
Yes, SAJN, he is a whale penis. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-06-13, 12:57 PM #5
According to my ex, its like this:

geeks = good people. not uncool at all, but they have passions in many things which are "uncool", like science and computers. geeks dont show off their geeky side, but these extra qualities make them more interesting people.

Nerds = Uncool, blatently dont care about fashion or self image, have no self conciousness about their looks, dont fit in well with society, and dont get out much.
Very rarely have had female relations.

and dweebs, well, they should just be rounded up and shot
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-06-13, 12:57 PM #6
I am shocked and appalled! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness

[This message has been edited by Overlord (edited June 13, 2004).]
2004-06-13, 2:28 PM #7
I think "dork" should be censored. It's slang for... um... something else.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-13, 2:37 PM #8
Well, they are very similar but the difference is with intelligence. A nerd is brainy but a geek usually isn't.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-13, 2:41 PM #9
I always thought of it like this:
Nerd is still widely in use, while geek is typically reserved for the 1970s and 1980s decades.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-13, 2:53 PM #10
A dork is someone with little or no social skills. A geek is a dork that makes up for not having social skills with skills in something technical, usually computers. A nerd is a geek that makes money from those skills.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 13, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-13, 2:54 PM #11
No, no, they're the same thing, except that geeks are more sociable and tend to congregate, while nerds are solitary creatures. crikey

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-13, 2:57 PM #12
And then there is the gamer. A gamer has social skills(the amount is variable) and is really into video games(more than the average person) but doesn't have any technical skills.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-13, 3:35 PM #13
According to Ruthervain's criteria, I fit both of those. I think I'm a gerd.

Or possibly a vampire, I'm yet to decide.

------------------
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
2004-06-13, 3:39 PM #14
revenge of the nerds
beat the geeks

take away the robes of the geeks...and put clothes on them you pervert... and they end up being fairly normal people... with alot of knowledge about something

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-13, 3:40 PM #15
Nerds are geeks with respect from society.

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
UT2k4 is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my dead WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-06-13, 3:52 PM #16
according to what my brother comments, semi-cool people > dorks > geeks > nerds. so, dorks are like semi-semi-cool people, those nice guys, technicly proficent, but not to the extent to get a beat down

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-06-13, 4:03 PM #17
The way I see it is nerds have more knowledge about real-world stuff such as science, computers, etc. Something that could actually benefeit people in the longrun.

Geeks on the other hand usually have knowledge more based around whatever their fanaticism is.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-06-13, 4:20 PM #18
Geek in my area is just a general slang for someone who's obssessive about something and puts too much priority/pride into it .. IE we get called "ball geeks" or "dance geeks" or "fight geeks" or "comedy geeks" or "jock geeks" or whatever if (example) we flaunt that we're ballers or dancers or fighters or comedians or jocks (much like a lot of people use the term 'band geeks' and **** .. it actually gets ridiculous to a point) .. nerd is like obsessed with academics or intellectual activities + little sociabilities.

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-06-13, 4:36 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
The way I see it is nerds have more knowledge about real-world stuff such as science, computers, etc. Something that could actually benefeit people in the longrun.

Geeks on the other hand usually have knowledge more based around whatever their fanaticism is.

</font>

Thats what I have thought...or maybe the other way around, where There are Star Wars Nerds and geeks can make a computer in 15 mins.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-06-13, 4:38 PM #20
What if we created a Gerd? Or a Neek? The ultimate in Star Trek Debate technology.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-06-13, 5:33 PM #21
The way we've always thought about it is that Geeks are cool nerds. They know just as much as a nerd, but instead of being uptight and lacking in social skills they communicate with others, but generally don't associate with the rest of the world nearly as much as they tend to associate with each other.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-06-13, 5:38 PM #22
My friends refer to me as a Nerd, which they say is "higher up" in the social status ladder than Geeks, which tend to be the dorky people, with no social life at all.

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited June 13, 2004).]
2004-06-13, 6:05 PM #23
Dorks are people who have interests that tend to cause people to make fun of them, even if they're interesting, intelligent people. Also they're stereotyped as having no friends and no social life, even though the interest might be something like live action roleplaying which is a social activity.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-13, 7:33 PM #24
A nerd studies excessivly in their academic studies, and is well educated of all their fields of learning.
A geek is a person with an odd or unusual personality.
A dork is a dull, silly person.

Example, nerd:
Scott, who is into rock music and is very outgoing, was called a nerd by Jane because Scott knew alot about all the things he was studying.

Example. geek:
Tom read a lot of books, but other than that he was just a regular kid. Except for his strange ideas and odd personality. He did not have an extensive knowledge in anything aside from Fantasy books.

Example, dork:
Peter often didn't get jokes right away, and said rather obscure things sometimes. He was rather shy, and although of average intelligence, he wasn't very bright.

Contrary to what you might think, it's not all about computers and clothing.

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-06-13, 7:36 PM #25
Jargon File reference:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">nerd

n. 1. [mainstream slang] Pejorative applied to anyone
with an above-average IQ and few gifts at small talk and ordinary
social rituals. 2. [jargon] Term of praise applied (in conscious
ironic reference to sense 1) to someone who knows what's really
important and interesting and doesn't care to be distracted by
trivial chatter and silly status games. Compare the two senses of
computer geek.

The word itself appears to derive from the lines "And then, just to
show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo / And Bring Back an It-Kutch, a Preep
and a Proo, / A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too!" in the
Dr. Seuss book "If I Ran the Zoo" (1950). (The spellings `nurd' and
`gnurd' also used to be current at MIT.) How it developed its
mainstream meaning is unclear, but sense 1 seems to have entered
mass culture in the early 1970s (there are reports that in the
mid-1960s it meant roughly "annoying misfit" without the connotation
of intelligence).

An IEEE Spectrum article (4/95, page 16) once derived `nerd' in its
variant form `knurd' from the word `drunk' backwards, but this
bears all the hallmarks of a bogus folk etymology.

Hackers developed sense 2 in self-defense perhaps ten years later,
and some actually wear "Nerd Pride" buttons, only half as a joke.
At MIT one can find not only buttons but (what else?) pocket
protectors bearing the slogan and the MIT seal.</font>

Dictionary.com:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">geek
n. Slang
1: A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
2: A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
3: A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">dork
n.
1: Slang. A stupid, inept, or foolish person: “the stupid antics of America's favorite teen-age cartoon dorks” (Joshua Mooney).
2: Vulgar Slang. The penis.</font>

My friend Laura and i, i believe distinguished nerds and geeks, as geeks ingest random strange things [be it knowledge or chicken heads], whereas nerds get paid to be intelligent or something. And then both can be dorks. Dorky is mostly what Flirbnic said. Or just a general expression of random joking ineptness or foolishness.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-06-13, 7:39 PM #26
I have a better idea: lets disect one of each. That way, the difference will be sure to turn up somewhere. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-13, 9:05 PM #27
I think the way we all have different definitions might have something to do with geographical issues. You know, like how a cell phone is called a mobile in some places.

I think it has to do with what you're into. If you're good with computers (programming, hacking, etc), you're a nerd. If you play games (cards, video, RP, etc), you're a geek.

They're all just subdivisions of the loser (or outcast) classificaion though. It would be a lot easier if we just agreed to call ourselves losers. Of course, we would then be grouping ourselves with vampires, punks, goths, and junkies. Meh, I could handle that.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede

[This message has been edited by Chaz Ghostle (edited June 14, 2004).]
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-14, 12:41 AM #28
I roleplay.
I am solitary too.
I play UT2004.
I map.
I enjoy science and computers and maths.
I am good at science and computers and maths.
I have an IQ of 135, according to Test The Nation.
I call mobile telephones 'mobiles'.

Ergo, I am all.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?

[This message has been edited by - Tony - (edited June 14, 2004).]
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-14, 3:59 AM #29
As I said, it would be a lot easier if we just called ourselves losers.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-14, 4:05 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
As I said, it would be a lot easier if we just called ourselves losers.</font>

I second that.

------------------
2004-06-14, 5:58 AM #31
In my town, a geek is just a nerd with a special qualification in computing.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998

↑ Up to the top!