Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best MP3 Player I can get for...
Best MP3 Player I can get for...
2006-03-06, 11:39 AM #1
$170.00

I really just want one that's reliable, plays mp3s, is durable, has good sound quality, and a nice screen setup. I'd really appreciate it if I can get all of your inputs on this, as I really have no idea on what I should invest into. The only type of player I'm familiar with is the iPod, and I've heard mixed feelings on them, not to mention they're a bit pricey.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-03-06, 11:41 AM #2
Save another $40 and get that new flash based 4 gig player with the supposed crazy battery life.

(I can't rememer its name or model, someone else will know)
2006-03-06, 11:50 AM #3
in your price range off the top of my head

any 2GB flash player (ipod nano, iaudio u3, iaudio u2, others)
a zen micro
an ipod mini (possible new at that price... used is more likely)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-06, 11:52 AM #4
I heard the iPod nanos/minis break easily, and that their battery life is very horrid after awhile.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-03-06, 11:53 AM #5
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I heard the iPod nanos/minis break easily, and that their battery life is very horrid after awhile.

Uh, no.
2006-03-06, 11:58 AM #6
He said he heard they do, he never claimed they do. There is a difference, which makes his statment most likely true. After all, who are you to claim he didn't hear that they break easily and have crappy battery life?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-06, 11:59 AM #7
I've heard good things about the Samsung YP-Z5.
http://www.physorg.com/news11378.html

It's a little more than your $170 price range, it's not out just quite yet, and the 4GB version is $250, but it does come with 38 hours of battery life. I don't know if that's important to you or not, but 38 hours is pretty ridiculous.

There are also some other picks for you:
Creative Zen Nano Plus
Creative Zen Nano
Creative Zen Neeon (199)
iAudio G3
iAudio U2
iAudio U3

1GB seems to be the sweet spot at your price range. For $30 more, you can find a lot of 2GB players including the iPod nano, and also the Creative Neeon which is 5GB. The advantage of the Nano of course being that you can buy stuff from the iTunes store and put it on there. You can always buy from iTunes, burn to a CD, then rip it back to a format for one of the other players, but it's up to you how much hassle you want to deal with.

I'm personally partial to iAudio because of their ogg and flac support, but that Creative Neeon also looks like a pretty good deal if you want to spend the extra $30.

Edit - keep in mind these are brand new prices from the manufacturer's stores. You can probably find discounted prices elsewhere, and used units on eBay.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-03-06, 12:17 PM #8
I'm trying to understand everything you said Olie, and I had a question.

With an iPod, is the only way to get your files on to your iPod through buying music on iTunes? Because I have a lot of CDs and was planning on making mp3s out of them, and then transferring them to the iPod. Is that not possible? I definitley would not want to buy the iPod if I'd also have to buy all the music I already own.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-03-06, 12:26 PM #9
You can rip cds to your iPod, no problem, though you will have to use iTunes to transfer your music. What I meant is that if you want to buy music from the iTunes store, the only player you can put it on directly is the iPod.

To put iTunes bought music on other players, you'll have to spend some time and waste some CDs. Though to be honest, I've never tried creating an ISO of an audio cd, mounting that, and then ripping it. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-03-06, 12:26 PM #10
No, iPods can play mp3's from any source. They don't have to be purchased from iTunes.

However, music purchased through iTunes can only be played on an iPod, I believe. (Unless you burn/rip as Olie described, or find a DRM stripper.)
2006-03-06, 12:27 PM #11
Originally posted by Freelancer:
He said he heard they do, he never claimed they do. There is a difference, which makes his statment most likely true. After all, who are you to claim he didn't hear that they break easily and have crappy battery life?

And I'm saying that what he heard was wrong. I didn't think I'd have to put a lot of effort into it but I guess some people just need more to understand.
2006-03-06, 12:28 PM #12
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I'm trying to understand everything you said Olie, and I had a question.

With an iPod, is the only way to get your files on to your iPod through buying music on iTunes? Because I have a lot of CDs and was planning on making mp3s out of them, and then transferring them to the iPod. Is that not possible? I definitley would not want to buy the iPod if I'd also have to buy all the music I already own.

No. You can rip CD's you already own and import mp3s from other sources as well. The only files that are locked to only play on your iTunes are the files you buy from the iTunes store.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-06, 12:29 PM #13
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
an ipod mini (possible new at that price... used is more likely)

Used is almost definate. The mini was discontinued with the launch of the nano last September.
nope.
2006-03-06, 12:37 PM #14
Just another reason not to buy music from The iTunes Store.

I'd just like to say that while my 30GB iPod was extremely overpriced ($299), I enjoy it immensly. I travel every weekend and it's great being able to watch movies (it's so easy to convert DVDs to MPEG4), listen to music, and look at photos. I'm absolutely in love with the interface and buttons.
2006-03-06, 1:15 PM #15
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
I've heard good things about the Samsung YP-Z5.
http://www.physorg.com/news11378.html

It's a little more than your $170 price range, it's not out just quite yet, and the 4GB version is $250, but it does come with 38 hours of battery life. I don't know if that's important to you or not, but 38 hours is pretty ridiculous.

Thats the one!

Thanks!

↑ Up to the top!