Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Hollywood OS
The Hollywood OS
2006-03-06, 7:49 PM #1
Post your favorite mock-up Operating System's from movies or TVs.

My favorite has to be Jurassic Park. It was a mix of MacOS, DOS, Unix, and apparently, hardly any typing is needed to "turn on nodes" and reactivate the whole system. My favorite line has to be "This is Unix...I know this!" and we see her navigate the craziest GUI ever.

For your enjoyment, here are the requirements needed for Hollywood OS.
http://nand.net/~demaria/hollywood.txt
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-03-06, 7:53 PM #2
Actually, the OS used in Jurassic Park is real; you can download it somewhere. Not sure why anyone would ever want to navigate files and folders by flying through 3D rectangles, but whatever.
Stuff
2006-03-06, 7:55 PM #3
the one the Gibson used in Hackers
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-03-06, 8:03 PM #4
The coolest part of the Jurassic Park OS was that as she flew over the boxes, there was a little helicopter noise.

THUP THUP THUP
2006-03-06, 8:16 PM #5
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/trivia

Originally posted by IMDB:
The park software is written in Pascal; a program is clearly visible in one of the monitor close-ups on the UNIX system. The graphical interface recognized as a UNIX system is Silicon Graphics 3D File System Navigator. The version number of the Silicon Graphics UNIX Operating System is 4.0.5 and is visible in one of the close-ups in the operating system's shell window (command program).

http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/3d_navigator.html
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-06, 8:30 PM #6
I'm not debating that theh graphical user interface exists, but the fact she says it's Unix, it looks like a Mac, and uses DOS commands is what makes it funny.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-03-06, 8:38 PM #7
Yea, I was gonna say I've used that OS before (with those rectangles) on a SG computer.
2006-03-06, 10:46 PM #8
I like the one in The Incredibles. It's shibby.
2006-03-06, 11:52 PM #9
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I'm not debating that theh graphical user interface exists, but the fact she says it's Unix, it looks like a Mac, and uses DOS commands is what makes it funny.
It looks like IRIX to me.
2006-03-06, 11:59 PM #10
I like the one in the Matrix, with the touchscreens and such.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-07, 12:07 AM #11
Minority Report.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-03-07, 12:21 AM #12
And hands-down the best hollywood OS is LCARS, from Star Trek.
2006-03-07, 1:34 AM #13
I've always liked the look of the OS used in Lost In Space...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-07, 3:32 AM #14
I like the OS seen in Office Space. Gee, I wonder where I can get that.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-07, 10:35 AM #15
The worst is when they screw up an established system in a TV show or movie.

For instance, apparently in the Pegasus Galaxy you only need a 6-symbol address to dial a planet. (?) I know it's a small galaxy, but I'm still pretty sure you need a 7-symbol address to dial a planet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(I know that's not the whole DHD, but they only play the button sound effect 6 times. This is from the start of Stargate Atlantis 1x04)
Attachment: 10870/wrong_address.jpg (88,421 bytes)
2006-03-07, 2:02 PM #16
While LCARS rules, and there are certainly other Hollywood OSes that are probably awesome, I've always been partial to the look of the OS in Aliens. Then again, I'm partial to ANY electronics or mechanics in movies that look more rough, practical, and possibly ready to fall apart if you look at it funny.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-03-07, 2:28 PM #17
When it comes to hacking/covert activities, the OS that all the computers at CTU use on 24 can't be beat.

Plus, it looks good, too. Much better than a boring command prompt.
2006-03-07, 2:32 PM #18
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
When it comes to hacking/covert activities, the OS that all the computers at CTU use on 24 can't be beat.

Plus, it looks good, too. Much better than a boring command prompt.

Edgar died :gbk:
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-03-07, 3:11 PM #19
Might wanna spoiler that...
2006-03-07, 3:15 PM #20
Jon'C- You are correct. Pegasus galaxy should have seven symbols.

Whoops!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-03-07, 3:19 PM #21
The Simpsons....
2006-03-07, 4:04 PM #22
did anyone think the OS from "The Paycheck" was about the crummyest thing ever?
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-03-07, 4:10 PM #23
Isn't it great how in all of those shows everything can be done with just a few seconds of typing? It seems like mice are just pointless in most shows.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-03-07, 4:18 PM #24
[QUOTE=Numenor King]did anyone think the OS from "The Paycheck" was about the crummyest thing ever?[/QUOTE]
almost as crummy as the movie.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-03-07, 5:27 PM #25
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
almost as crummy as the movie.

almost, but the OS didn't have Uma Thurmen in it whereas the movie did so the OS inches out ahead.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-03-07, 5:32 PM #26
excellent point.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-03-07, 5:44 PM #27
Originally posted by Spork:
Minority Report.

That movie had the most awesome computers, period.
2006-03-08, 1:29 AM #28
Originally posted by Bobbert:
Isn't it great how in all of those shows everything can be done with just a few seconds of typing? It seems like mice are just pointless in most shows.

Well, if you know how to use it you are much faster with the keyboard.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-08, 7:05 AM #29
Oh and remember, In holywood all disks are fully re-writable all computers have the ability to read disks and all DVDs and CDs cannot be scratched NO MATTER how many times they are misused.
2006-03-08, 7:37 AM #30
And don't forget these important rules:

A. All copying is finished in an instant, except where the copied file is needed immediately.
Corollary: If under an extremely stressful situation, the copying of the file will always be finished at the last possible moment.

B. CD media can hold an infinate amount of data.

C. All computers, no matter their operating system or speed, will operate exactly the same.
Corollary: As such, a character of the show/movie will be able to operate all computers fluently.

D. Computers that look like crap often use fancy GUI menus. Computers that look like CRAYs or are just major graphical design wonders will use simplistic hacker-style command boxes and archaic commands.

E. All computers have a system of "auto-aiming", thus, when a user misclicks, the correct window is opened anyway.

F. All websites load top to bottom, not in parts.

G. Universal rule: If its a stressful situation, all commands will have a progress bar, and all goals will finish only seconds before deadline.

H. An open computer terminal will never have opened windows, and the user will be able to find exactly what he is looking for in 3 clicks or less.

I. Modems never get busy signals.

J. Search engines will always find exactly what the user wants in the first result.

K. Searching takes seconds, unless it's not important, then it'll never complete.

L. Computers have a bootup time of approximately 5 seconds or less.

M. Computer hard drives have the approximate read time of 0.01ms, and can read an infinate amount of data a second.
Exception: If the data needs to be processed by a program, like a website, it will load top to bottom, and will take abnormally long to complete.

N. Hacking is possible even when not connected to any network

O. When hacking another computer, that computer will always respond, even if it must turn itself on to do so.
Corollary: If the PC must turn itself on, the monitor will also turn itself on, and display everything the hacker is doing.

P. Encrypted files can always be cracked within the alloted time.

Q. Speakers are not required for a PC to speak, play, or make noise.

R. Once started, a command cannot be stopped.
Corollary: If a program does happen to have a cancel button, it will either malfunction, take an eternity to cancel (see also: Rule G), or a hacker will disable the functionality of it.

S. Printers are never out of ink or paper.

T. Incredibly important secure data will be accessible from any open terminal in the building.

U. There is no such thing as a private "intranet". All hacking can be done from outside a building.
Corollary: Hacking will always be done from a dark room, except where infiltrating a building would provide more action or suspense.

V. All media including hard drives have infinate storage space, except where running out of free space would add drama or suspense to the situation.
Corollary: If a media will run out of free space, it will always do so at 99% complete, and there will never be a prompt that there is not enough free space before copying.

W. Interesting wallpapers do not exist.

X. Burning a CD or DVD can be done without any software at all, often with just a quick keyboard shortcut.

Y. Turning off a monitor is the equivalent of powering off the PC. In addition, none of the programs running at the time will be there when the computer is next used.

Z. Hackers always know the username, but not the password.
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)

↑ Up to the top!