Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pluto: Planet or KBO?
Pluto: Planet or KBO?
2006-03-09, 8:29 PM #1
Let's face it, Pluto is weird. It's got a highly elliptical orbit, two moons (one of which is fully half its size; they actually share the same atmosphere), and it really just doesn't fit with the gas giants that seem to be prevalent in the outer solar system.

Of course, having it be a planet was all fine and dandy, but then we started discovering those things with weird names, like Sedna and Quaoar and Xena... the last one being actually bigger than Pluto. So what, then, constitutes a planet? The definition used to be so simple... anything larger than 1000 km in diameter. This was handy because Pluto just squeaked in above it while Ceres was just below it. Can't have a planet in the middle of the asteroid belt, after all. But now... nobody can seem to agree whether we should call Pluto a planet, or a Kuiper Belt Object.

My vote's for KBO.
Stuff
2006-03-09, 8:33 PM #2
i think it is a planet, and as the IAU says it is a planet, it is a planet by default.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-03-09, 8:36 PM #3
It has three moons as of last year.

I vote planet, simply because I want other KBO's to become planets as well.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-03-09, 8:36 PM #4
Whoa, how did my post get lost? I had a whole thing written out about the definition of a planet, and the discovery of Sedna and Quaoar and Xena and stuff...

Oh well.

EDIT: Err... how did this end up as two threads? I'll copy my message over to this one and delete the other one, I think.

EDIT2: I'm an idiot. Ignore this post please.
Stuff
2006-03-09, 8:41 PM #5
Yay thread merge!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-03-09, 8:43 PM #6
Since it has enough gravitational force to harbor three moons, I would classify Pluto as a planet. A small one, but a planet none the less.
2006-03-09, 8:49 PM #7
Where's the cartoon dog option?

planet.
2006-03-09, 8:53 PM #8
KBO, mainly because it sounds cooler.

But I don't see why we couldn't just call it a planet in the Kuiper Belt?
2006-03-09, 9:07 PM #9
In the spirit of stubborn 'traditionalism,' I grew up with, had a childhood integrated with, and was taught by the Magic School Bus that Pluto is the 9th planet of the solar system. It was an essential part of establishing playground intelligence in 1st grade to be able to proudly declare "Pluto!" and finish listing the 9 planets in front of the awed other kids.

So, it's a planet. Even the definition of planet changes to exclude it, my definition of planet will inherently include it.
一个大西瓜
2006-03-09, 9:08 PM #10
(Would also like to throw in that "Xena" is an unofficial nickname of 2003 UB313, no official name has been submitted yet...)
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-03-09, 9:42 PM #11
Here's some compelling evidence that it's a planet: if it wasn't, then what would my very eager mother have just served us nine of?
Stuff
2006-03-09, 10:21 PM #12
Ex-Moon
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-03-09, 10:36 PM #13
I'll believe what the mighty American space agency thing will say.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-09, 10:51 PM #14
technically shouldn't everything orbiting the sun be considered part of the solar system? Just because it's not on the same plane or something is no reason to exclude it
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-09, 11:48 PM #15
Just because something isn't a planet doesn't mean it's not part of the solar system.
Warhead[97]
2006-03-09, 11:52 PM #16
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I'll believe what the mighty American space agency thing will say.

If you're going to bash the U.S. (because your stale jokes never ever get old...) at least be educated about it. NASA doesn't decide this, the IAU does.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-03-10, 12:27 AM #17
KBO
There are other KBOs that are larger, there are asteroids which have satelites and it isn't on the same plane as all other planets. I found the last thing always weird and wasn't quite sure if Pluto should be considered a planet.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-10, 2:14 AM #18
Originally posted by Roach:
(Would also like to throw in that "Xena" is an unofficial nickname of 2003 UB313, no official name has been submitted yet...)

I vote for Rupert.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-03-10, 6:22 AM #19
i thought there was an extra planet out in the Kuipar belt. I say planet, cos this object is MASSIVE compared to Pluto.

And as we all know, on this magical planet-X, dinosaurs can do long-division, gravity goes up, and Hiliary Clinton is actually a woman.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-10, 6:46 AM #20
Originally posted by Pommy:
In the spirit of stubborn 'traditionalism,' I grew up with, had a childhood integrated with, and was taught by the Magic School Bus that Pluto is the 9th planet of the solar system. It was an essential part of establishing playground intelligence in 1st grade to be able to proudly declare "Pluto!" and finish listing the 9 planets in front of the awed other kids.

So, it's a planet. Even the definition of planet changes to exclude it, my definition of planet will inherently include it.

too true.

as for now: planet.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-03-10, 7:11 AM #21
I think it is a KBO. However, since we have traditionally called it a planet for the last 30 years (?) or so, we should continue to call it a planet out of ...

*cues Fiddler on the Roof*

TRADITION!! TRADITION!! TRADITION!!
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-10, 7:12 AM #22
I've never been there so I can't say.

↑ Up to the top!