Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poppy seeds and drug tests.
Poppy seeds and drug tests.
2006-03-12, 11:47 AM #1
Approx. how many poppy seed bagels would create a false positive on an average drug test? An episode of Mythbusters showed that it takes 3 bagels to get a positive result. An episode of Brainiac shows it takes 2 (although I just find that show as just entertainment). I'm guessing not much terribly alot to get a borderline positive result.

I'm not terribly clear on one thing. Wouldn't the narcotic levels of a person who abuses opium and a daily poppy seed bagel eater be drastically different? I guess the many advantages of drug tests include the ability to detect small traces of drugs from days before the testing.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-12, 11:51 AM #2
Hmm, I dunno. Though who would ever eat more than one bagel a day?
Stuff
2006-03-12, 11:52 AM #3
According to my friend's mother, who is an RN, you need to eat a car-load of 'em to set off a drug test.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-03-12, 11:56 AM #4
Watch mythbusters. It's not many
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-12, 11:58 AM #5
Originally posted by Wolfy:
According to my friend's mother, who is an RN, you need to eat a car-load of 'em to set off a drug test.

She's wrong.

Quote:
The Discovery Channel's MythBusters show did a piece testing whether poppy seeds could cause a false positive on an over-the-counter drug test. Two people were tested for opiates before the experiment began. Both tested negative on this initial test. One person then ate three poppy seed bagels and the other ate poppy seed cake. Both tested positive for opiates within 30 minutes of ingesting the seeds and continued to test positive until 16 hours after ingestion. The same brand of drug test was used in all cases. They called a number of manufacturers of over-the-counter drug tests and were told by all but one that poppy seeds could not cause a false positive.

I watched this episode myself, in fact. OTC opiate tests have a sensitivity of about 300 ng/mL. 3 tsp of store-bought poppyseeds can give you a reading of 1200 ng/mL 6 hours after you eat it.

This is why the US Military uses 3000 ng/mL as a cutoff: to avoid misreads. These company-admistered drug tests should be illegal, because they sure as hell are irresponsible.
2006-03-12, 12:56 PM #6
Originally posted by kyle90:

A hungry who.

I remember in some Norwegian prison there was much alarm years ago, when they had changed the supplier of bread, and the new bread contained poppy seeds, and suddenly the positive drug tests of prisoners skyrocketed. Eventually they realised it was the bread.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-12, 1:05 PM #7
I love that episode of seinfeld where elaine gets fired because she tested positive for opium after eating poppy seed bagels.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-12, 1:22 PM #8
Poppys!
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-03-12, 1:39 PM #9
So, the real question is... can we get loaded by eating poppy-seed bagels?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-12, 1:53 PM #10
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

No, the real question is where can I buy some opium?!
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-12, 2:04 PM #11
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

They bring your high back if you eat them after you are stoned.

Or, that's what my stoner friends tell me. They've only tried it with pot, so I don't know how well it works with everything else.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-12, 2:14 PM #12
Originally posted by kyle90:

if all i ahve time to fix and eat are bagels... i'll eat 2
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-12, 2:38 PM #13
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I love that episode of seinfeld where elaine gets fired because she tested positive for opium after eating poppy seed bagels.

She didnt get fired. She just got denied that trip to Africa or wherever, then her boss got real worried after tests showed her urine was similar to a 65 year old woman.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-12, 4:16 PM #14
Originally posted by Spook:
They bring your high back if you eat them after you are stoned.

Or, that's what my stoner friends tell me. They've only tried it with pot, so I don't know how well it works with everything else.

But the opium in the poppy seeds aren't refined or anything. I doubt you can get a noticible high from eating crap load of poppy bagels. :confused:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-12, 5:26 PM #15
Originally posted by Echoman:
But the opium in the poppy seeds aren't refined or anything. I doubt you can get a noticible high from eating crap load of poppy bagels. :confused:

Yeah, it isn't supposed to MAKE you high, just, uh, I dunno, refurbish it?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-12, 6:35 PM #16
Your friends are wrong. ;) Eating anything won't making your high last longer.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-12, 6:39 PM #17
placebo effect.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-03-12, 10:41 PM #18
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
She didnt get fired. She just got denied that trip to Africa or wherever, then her boss got real worried after tests showed her urine was similar to a 65 year old woman.

Well, actually she does get fired. After her boss walks by and misinterprets what Kramer is telling Elaine, he fires her on the spot, thinking she was drug-dealing. It happens a little later in the episode after the African-trip-denial.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!