Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm quitting
I'm quitting
2006-03-13, 1:46 PM #1
For the first time ever, I am leaving a job for the simple reason that I cannot stand it. Any other time I've quit, its been because I've moved or I got a different job that payed more. This time I'm just leaving it because it SUCKS, and doesn't pay enough to make up for the fact that it SUCKS.

I work in a deli at a grocery store called Safeway (a west coast store).

Anyway, lets get into a "my job sucks more competition." What do you say?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-13, 1:49 PM #2
The deli is the worst possible position at a supermarket there is. I've heard this from numerous guys that've transferred out of deli at my store. The latest guy now works hardware and claims his job is much more bearable now.

I've quit twice because of a job I could not stand. Both were fast food.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-13, 2:00 PM #3
I quit my job in September of last year, because it sucked. Get this:

I am a senior in univeristy. I speak English (remarkably well, I will add). I know much about computer software and all sorts of elecrtonic equipment. I was working at a warehouse for Costco. Most of the people who worked there, I would guess, were immigrants, manny illegal. Few spoke English, and those that did spoke in broken, poor English.

I WAS THE JANITOR. I was demoted to s*** scrubber. Why? They hired a "new supervisor" who was related to one of the magers. I cleaned s*** out of toilets and off the floor. I wiped piss off of the walls, and (the worst part) had to clean out the "bio-hazard" boxes in the female restrooms. I will spare you the details, but suffice it so say it has to do with certain feminine cycles. Often times, the toilet wold overflow, andI had to clean it up. I was scheduled to work 6 hours, but I only had enough work to keep me occupied for 3 hours. Almost worse than working a crappy job is not having work to do at a crappy job. I was completely bored, for half of the day. That's almost as bad as working a bad job. Anyone who has to waste tiem at work and find things to do (stinky, poopy things) can agree with me.
2006-03-13, 2:07 PM #4
Agreed on that point. What makes my job a bore sometimes is when there's nothing to do. :(
2006-03-13, 2:10 PM #5
Worst job I had was at a youth sports camp, which should have been fun, but my manager ****ed it all up by telling me I had t work when I had class even though flexability was part of the job description.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-13, 2:12 PM #6
Originally posted by Avenger:
Worst job I had was at a youth sports camp, which should have been fun, but my manager ****ed it all up by telling me I had t work when I had class even though flexability was part of the job description.

....you're serious?

damn, man. That's it? What jobs have you had that are so nice?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-13, 2:13 PM #7
We have a Safeway here, and I'm on the east coast.
2006-03-13, 2:14 PM #8
Other ocahing gigs, refereeing, some construction and maintenance, I do some house/pet sitting. All have been/are easy and pay really well.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-13, 2:19 PM #9
We have Safeways here in Arkansas too.

Anyway, the toilet cleaning job can't suck enough. Good for you for getting out of there.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-13, 2:21 PM #10
I always felt sorry for the one itallian immigrant that worked at K-mart as a Janitor at night.

He was such a nice guy, and REALLY INTELLIGENT. Just couldn't speak that great of english and gets stuck with ****ty jobs.
2006-03-13, 2:23 PM #11
I quit Starbucks just because it sucked.

If you saw the Boondocks episode last night you'd understand. *****y *** people generally being *****es and then the manager I liked got transferred because of some shady **** between another employee and my Assistant Manager. Unfortunately, my assistant manager became the acting-manager and became even more of a ****ed up *****. Seriously, my ASM was the epitome of lazy-***/ignorant **** ever. She didn't know how to do her job and would criticize me behind her back because I had to retrain everyone she hired.

****ing waste.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-13, 2:33 PM #12
HAHAHA

Dude.

There was a door to door meat salesman just at my door.

Thats got to be the best job EVER.
2006-03-13, 2:33 PM #13
i have no job atm.

But I got fired from Next.Ltd, and I'm so glad.

All of the tall handsome/pretty people who interacted socially with the managers could do what they want and piss around.

the rest of us were treated like dirt, not allowed to stand around and chat 10 mins before our shift ended, but the girls at the checkouts never shut up.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-13, 3:03 PM #14
It pays to have connections. I have never had a ****ty job, never had ****ty pay. I have thought about quitting one of the jobs I have now, but then I think of people like yall.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2006-03-13, 4:39 PM #15
The first job I quit because it sucked was Denny's. I felt bad because after three days I couldn't take it any more. It wasn't hard work, the customers weren't all that bad...it was just the mind set. I was the only one going to college and they kept telling me how it was a waste of my time. The night I decided to quit I was talking to one of the guys there and he was excited to wait tables - this was his ultimate dream. It made me sad.

On to the next job...Century Theaters. I was an usher, which is a fancy title for janitor....or at least that's what they made me. Again, save for one of the managers, I was the only one in college and got a lot of crap about it. My main manager was sleazy and because I didn't sleep with him (he thought it was his right to sleep with all the new ushers,) we didn't get along to well. The worst memory of this job was the day the three managers on duty all called in sick. No one could reach them by phone or could open any of the locked doors (which contained brooms and general stuff.) Oh...I was also the only usher for a theater of 24. I somehow found a broom and shared it with the three concession stands. It was also one of the more busier days. When a manager finally showed up, she asked me to close (I opened.) Next day I quit. This was three months ago and I still need to return my uniform. >_>

Sorry about the rant...I hated these jobs.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-03-13, 4:41 PM #16
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
For the first time ever, I am leaving a job for the simple reason that I cannot stand it. Any other time I've quit, its been because I've moved or I got a different job that payed more. This time I'm just leaving it because it SUCKS, and doesn't pay enough to make up for the fact that it SUCKS.

I work in a deli at a grocery store called Safeway (a west coast store).

Anyway, lets get into a "my job sucks more competition." What do you say?

You mean slaveway?
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-03-13, 5:06 PM #17
i thought safeway was a british supermarket?

We have Asda, Sainsburies and Tesco's now.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-13, 5:39 PM #18
The worst job I ever had? Pomeroy. No contest.

I worked for them for about 6 months as a contractor doing rollouts at various local corporations, organizations, and government offices. If it wernt for the pay, which was actually quite good, I would have quit the first week. Abysmal management, backstabbing bosses, completely incompetent coworkers (for the most part), brain-dead users, clueless locals, and complete lack of any sort of benefits whatsoever. Not even mileage reimbursement (at one point I was commuting 200 miles a day).

I didnt quit, though. They laid me off.

Fortunatly, I got the last laugh...those locals will have have their hands full after my time bombs go off... :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-03-13, 6:07 PM #19
Haha, coincidence, I quit my job today too. Told my boss off as well.

I ****ing hated that job.
2006-03-13, 6:13 PM #20
... I love my job. It's fun, great pay, great bennefits, 401k, stock purchase, paid vacation, company vehicle, badge... Yeah.. Sucks to be you...
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-13, 6:20 PM #21
My job sucked the most!!

For the summer, I washed dishes in the -tiny- town of Duck Creek, Utah.

The restraunt, "The Eagles Nest" was one of the most unsanitary places in the world.

On my first day, this guy showed me the basics, and then I took it from there.

Well, there wasn't any soap... and like... there wasn't from day one.

So about two months later, a cook comes back to me and is like "You haven't been using soap to clean the dishes in the past two months.... *******."

However, nothing was done about it.

Then they hired a new cook, after the head one WALKED OUT one morning, leaving this teenage girl to run the entire restraunt by herself.... [edit] and our other chef had his car break down in California, and our waiter was also missing for some unkown reason. Mass chaos ensued.

Ah, I also had to exterminate of a mouse once. It was caught in a giant pot. Heh, I then cleaned the pot... but alas, no soap. [and the water was ice cold]

Then later some new cook came, and he was a fat New Yorker with a Turkish assistant that spoke almost no English. Muhmet was always getting in trouble for not wearing a hairnet, because he had long black hair that would fall out from time to time.

They would often have me do the dirty work, like cleaning out the never-been-cleaned meat refrigerators and stuff.

This one night, being the worst, I had a CRAPLOAD of dishes, like, 7-ish of the clear the table bins... oh, and the door had to be kept open because the kitchen was tiny and the cooks were burning up. This was bad for me, because it was flippin' snowing outside. And I had a fan blowing on me, since the only spot for a fan in the whole back kitchen was in front of me, then the window was open, and I was constantly getting splashed with cold water.

Cold water... I was always cold and wet, that's because the water heater sucked, and I only had warm water to wash the dishes with about the first 20 minutes of the day.

I really hated that job...

There was also the day the dish-washing-machine broke, and the day the bikers came... but heh, I don't want to talk about those.

[edit] One day the big black cook put some bread in the microwave, and then accidently hit 60 minutes instead of 60 seconds.
So smoke started seeping out of the microwave at me, and I went over and hit the button. The door swung open and the dish-washing area was filled with smoke. I had to struggle to get the window open and get out of there, and nearly suffocated. (the kitchen was tiny)
The manager guy (that walked out on the teenage girl) said "I saw the window fly open, a bunch of smoke come out, and then you came staggering out of the back door hacking and weezing."

Oh, and the back door was nice, too. It was an unstable wooden walkway, about 3 feet below the restraunt. So... it was a nice jump down. Heh, it was always covered in greese, too. It was very dangerous to go out the back door.

[edit edit]
They also opened a bar up in a building behind the restraunt, so I then had to wash all the bar glasses that came back to me. This was a huge pain in the but, because it took up all my room. Did I mention this was a tiny kitchen? I swear, Japanese kitchens must have been bigger than the area I had to work in. So... I'd have a ton of beer mugs and wine glasses stacked up in my way, but I couldn't take them out because I wasn't allowed to go into the bar. I wasn't old enough. So... this guy would randomly come back and take them off my hands from time to time, but he was so inconsistent that I would often have beer mugs in my road all day.
2006-03-13, 6:33 PM #22
I think I stopped there once Axis.

I didn't eat anything.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-13, 6:41 PM #23
I'm not going to comment. I was a janitor at the toulnustouc hydro electric dam project way north from any civilization which was cool but alot of work so i had no time to ***** and whine.

now teaching is just the best thing ever.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-03-13, 6:55 PM #24
Originally posted by Rob:
HAHAHA

Dude.

There was a door to door meat salesman just at my door.

Thats got to be the best job EVER.

Door-to-door meat salesman? They still exist?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-13, 7:09 PM #25
I need to be like those door-to-door Evangelists, only with AMD fanboyism. "Hi, my name is Obi, and I'm here to talk to you about AMD and the pwnage found there-in."
2006-03-13, 7:54 PM #26
Wow I haven't had safeway select sodas in years

</only semi-relevant comment>
一个大西瓜
2006-03-13, 9:34 PM #27
We have Safeway's on the east coast.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-03-13, 10:16 PM #28
Originally posted by Freelancer:

The deli is the worst possible position at a supermarket there is.

what's so bad about that? Please elaborate.

(I've talked to the people who work the deli at my local safeway... they don't seem to mind it that much. Either that, or they are very adept at hiding their disatisfaction.)
2006-03-14, 2:04 AM #29
Safeway are in Australia, too. Or at least they're in Victoria, in most other states they're called Woolworths.

Having had experience in just about every possible position in a supermarket, working checkout is by far the worst. Every other department has somewhere out back to hide from customers and managers, with checkout you're constantly on display and usually working your arse off. Also every customer who walks through the door is guaranteed to have an interaction with a checkout operator, unlike the staff in any other department.

Deli sucks because some people are ultra-picky about what they want plus you gotta wear a hairnet and all that junk, but it's good because if you want to avoid customers you can spend the entire shift in a coolroom or cooking stuff.

You see the best way to enjoy working at a supermarket is to minimise your contact with customers. All they do is annoy the hell out of you and make you stressed. Anyone can do a monotonous boring job if they're aloud to do their own thing, it's when you're constantly being hassled about things which are totally not your fault or responsability that you start coming home in a bad mood.

From worst to best I'd rank the supermarket departments like so:
Checkout, office, deli, point of sale (ticketing), dairy, grocery, meat room, bakery, fresh produce.

Fresh produce is by far the best because you hardly ever get hassled by customers as long as the shelves are full, the hours are usually pretty much round the clock flexible, you get to do your own thing and have a prep room to retreat to and slice watermelons in half with a big ****-off shiny knife if you want to, and best of all when there's no managers around you get all the free fruit you could ever want to eat.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-03-14, 2:07 AM #30
Moving furniture in K-mart was probably my favorite thing to do.

People tipped! And it was a great workout.
2006-03-14, 2:32 AM #31
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
Agreed on that point. What makes my job a bore sometimes is when there's nothing to do. :(

That's how it is at my job atm, too. I was supposed to meet a customer today and get a new project, but he postponed it to next week. Until then I have nothing to do...
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-14, 6:06 AM #32
Originally posted by Yecti:
... I love my job. It's fun, great pay, great bennefits, 401k, stock purchase, paid vacation, company vehicle, badge... Yeah.. Sucks to be you...

401,000 a year????

DiE!!!! :mad:
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-14, 6:14 AM #33
Originally posted by Ruthven:
401,000 a year????

DiE!!!! :mad:

I HOPE you're joking.

A 401k plan is a retirement benefit program that is sponsored by the US government. It basically lets you defer income to a retirement program, and this money that is defered is not taxed, and is placed in mutual funds or investment programs.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot you're in the UK, and you probally wouldn't have heard of it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-03-14, 6:20 AM #34
oh, i thought he was on $401,000 a year.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-14, 7:24 AM #35
Closer to $85k Ruth... But I wish it was your assumption!

edit: wooops! I wish it was my typo too! Put a 1 at the beginning there. :D
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-14, 10:45 AM #36
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
what's so bad about that? Please elaborate.

(I've talked to the people who work the deli at my local safeway... they don't seem to mind it that much. Either that, or they are very adept at hiding their disatisfaction.)

They are either definitely hiding their dissatisfaction, or they are pregnant women. I work... excuse me, worked with about 4 pregnant women in my deli. Emotions ran high and there was hell to pay if you didnt refill the little slot where you get the ketchup packets from.

Also one of the closing shifts ends at 8, but there is enough work for that person to last until 9:30. But you cant stay later than 8 because there is only a limited number of hours for the whole deli, so they want you to get an impossible amount of stuff done before 8 or you're gonna get grilled by someone... the deli manager if you dont get your stuff done, the store manager if you dont get out of there on time and take too many hours.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."

↑ Up to the top!