Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Car Audio Question
Car Audio Question
2006-03-13, 9:40 PM #1
Okay so recently my cars cd player has been spewing out static when i try playing CDs. I personally thought that the cold temperatures around here were effecting the cds. I took the car to toyota to have them check up on what the radios problem was.

So after about 2 hours of them looking at it (and doing some other things) I was told that using the custom burned mixes was what caused the problem.

The technical term was "after market CDs"

Now my question is, could this actually be the culprit? I dont see how that would effect anything.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-13, 9:43 PM #2
Only if you buy some EXTREMELY cheap *** CDs.
2006-03-13, 9:55 PM #3
it takes some REALLY cold temperatures to really affect the CDs
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-13, 10:25 PM #4
Is it wrecked for good? Will it play regular CDs? Does it only make the sound on CDs, or radio/cassettes (if you have a tape deck) as well? Is it the original radio to the car? What model/year is it?
2006-03-13, 10:37 PM #5
No its not wrecked for good. In fact while I was at home (in the moderatley warm weather) it started working agian. By this poitn it hadnt had cds in it for a while.

It plays normal audio CDs and when the noise was there, it was only there while i was using the CD player. And yea, the radio is stock to my 05 Toyota Matrix
2006-03-14, 1:51 AM #6
Originally posted by MBeggar:
I was told that using the custom burned mixes was what caused the problem.

Bull****. They just told you that because they don't know what the real problem is.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-14, 4:11 AM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
Bull****. They just told you that because they don't know what the real problem is.

Agreed.
woot!
2006-03-14, 12:19 PM #8
I've had really cheap, and I mean REALLY cheap CDRs mess up slot loading drives.

But I mean, it's a rare thing.
2006-03-14, 4:32 PM #9
In what way, though?
2006-03-14, 8:38 PM #10
They wore against something on the inside, and cds stopped playing.

SOME cheap cds are seriously suck.
2006-03-14, 9:19 PM #11
meh well it seems to be working again. any clue as to what could have caused it?
maybe I should get one of those silly cd clenaers?
2006-03-15, 3:35 AM #12
Haha, Rob, the CDs were actually not flat? That's whack. But yeah, that will straight up break the drive, not create static noises.

I'm not sure, MB, but I can assure you it has nothing to do with CDRs. I know if from nothing else, because it's a 2005 model, and there's no way a car that recent wouldn't support CDRs.
2006-03-15, 10:50 AM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
Haha, Rob, the CDs were actually not flat? That's whack. But yeah, that will straight up break the drive, not create static noises.

I'm not sure, MB, but I can assure you it has nothing to do with CDRs. I know if from nothing else, because it's a 2005 model, and there's no way a car that recent wouldn't support CDRs.

It was worse than that actually.

Apparently they were so flimsy that gradual use just tweaked them up. They seemed straight. But I took a few that were used alot and put them in my portable CD player and spun it.. They were slightly wavy.

It was my mom's car, so I don't care.
2006-03-21, 6:52 AM #14
*bump*

Well now that im back at school, and the weather has been constantly under 30 degrees, the problem is back.

Youd think a trip to the dealer would have been a little more useful.
2006-03-21, 8:28 AM #15
My cd player is aftermarket and I've played nothing but Cd-rs in it ever since I got it about 5 years ago. No problems whatsoever.

Maybe you just got a faulty cd player.
2006-03-21, 9:09 AM #16
Condensation on the cd player's lens? Maybe even on the CD. I've had it happen to me in my car with the cold weather.
2006-03-21, 9:18 AM #17
and nailface knows how cold it is.
"NAILFACE" - spe

↑ Up to the top!