Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → USB drive not reconized in redhat 9
USB drive not reconized in redhat 9
2004-06-14, 6:57 AM #1
I have a usb drive (solid state 128 mb) that works fine in windows xp, but i also wish to use it in linux to save files/docs on.

However, when I plug it into any of my front usb ports, red hat basically ignores it and instead checks the floppy drive.

What's the deal with this? Do I need additional drivers for this? (knoppix reconized it fine). if it is driver-related, where can I get the driver and how do I install it?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-14, 7:04 AM #2
Run lsmod
If you don't see usb-storage, usbcore, and usb-uhci in the modules running, you need to modprobe them.

Then add this to the /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/sda	/mnt/usbfd	auto	nouser,auto	0  0

Then run
$ mount /dev/sda

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-14, 7:11 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Run lsmod
If you don't see usb-storage, usbcore, and usb-uhci in the modules running, you need to modprobe them.

Then add this to the /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/sda	/mnt/usbfd	auto	nouser,auto	0  0

Then run
$ mount /dev/sda

[/b]</font>

One more question: How?

A walkthrough would be much appreciated.

I'm still relatively new to linux.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-14, 8:32 AM #4
  • Open a terminal
  • type 'lsmod'
  • Read the output and look for the words usb-storage, usbcore, and usb-uhci.
  • If you don't see them, modprobe them. Example: "modprobe usb_storage"
  • Once you can see them with 'lsmod', add the line to your fstab like Gandalf said. This can be done with any text editor, such as vim or nano. If you are new, you may want to use kwrite or gedit. You will need root privilages. Go to a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    {your root password}
    vim /etc/fstab

Replace vim with your favorite editor. then add the lines gandalf said.
  • To access the drive and read it's contents:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/usbfd
    ls -Rlh * | less

------------------
Please send me e-mail....

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited June 14, 2004).]

2004-06-14, 8:43 AM #5
If you're not going to be mounting it all the time, you don't even have to put it in fstab. I just mount mine when I need it, like:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /backup

or something

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-14, 9:02 AM #6
I get a

Code:
bash: lsmod: command not found

------------------
2004-06-14, 9:12 AM #7
Try
Code:
/bin/lsmod

or
Code:
/sbin/lsmod

Also try running it as root rather than user or vica versa...
------------------

2004-06-14, 9:16 AM #8
From this site:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Bash says "command not found" when I try to run a program as a regular user, but I just ran the same command as root! What gives?

You probably tried to run a command from the /sbin directory, such as /sbin/lsmod or /sbin/ifconfig. The /sbin directory is not included in a regular user's PATH environment variable, because regular users usually have no business running commands from that directory. Many commands outside of a user's PATH will actually not be executable by regular users. To run lsmod as a regular user you need to specify the full path, so the command would be:

$ /sbin/lsmod

Please note that the login user's PATH is inherited by su users. Type "man su" if you don't know what I'm talking about. </font>

------------------
2004-06-14, 12:51 PM #9
*sigh*

The USB support is installed by default in RH9. Just make a new folder under /mnt (mkdir /mnt/usbkey), and mount the key to it (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkey). When your done, umount it (umount /mnt/usbkey).

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-14, 1:46 PM #10
Oh. User friendlyness? What's that?

------------------
2004-06-14, 1:49 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Oh. User friendlyness? What's that?</font>

...? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-06-14, 2:02 PM #12
Well, maybe we too often do things the 'hard way' when we don't have to. I'm just used to doing things manually... I'm used to Slackware and Gentoo.

------------------
2004-06-14, 2:20 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Well, maybe we too often do things the 'hard way' when we don't have to....</font>

SuSE ships with an fstab that automounts everything. One of the first things I do on install is rip that thing out so I can mount everything manually.

------------------
2004-06-14, 5:49 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
SuSE ships with an fstab that automounts everything. One of the first things I do on install is rip that thing out so I can mount everything manually.

</font>

/me huggles Knoppix hotplug [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-14, 5:53 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:

</font>

Why? it just wastes time you could spend being productive. One thing that I like about windows is that it does all the stupid mundane things automaticaly so I can focus exclusively on the important things.

------------------
2004-06-14, 6:03 PM #16
Why? it just wastes time you could spend being productive.

Err, no. I mount a device when I need it, and I umount it when I dont need it. Automating the process only clutzes things up.

One thing that I like about windows is that it does all the stupid mundane things automaticaly so I can focus exclusively on the important things.

Thats one of the things about Windows that bugs the crap out of me. It automatically mounts removable media the moment you insert it... I dont know about the rest of you, but Id rather my system mount a volume when I need access to it, rather than the moment it gets notified of it...

What you call "stupid" and "mundane" I call "one of computings simple pleasures". Yeah, its weird, but it gives me some peice of mind -- knowing that I control what gets mounted, when, and where.

------------------

[This message has been edited by GBK (edited June 14, 2004).]
2004-06-14, 6:33 PM #17
Well, I always mount things manually, save my primary partitions. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] I tried supermount, but it kept on skrewing up. For example, Point2play for Winex wouldn't recognize drives mounted by supermount. It only takes a little more time to type "mount /mnt/dvd". (assuming it's in your fstab)

------------------
2004-06-14, 7:03 PM #18
You know, every time someone mentions Fstab, i visualize a bloody dagger. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

What's wrong with having everything mounted at the same time? It shouldn't slow the computer down any (if you notice a drop in performance, you need a new computer) and having everything automount makes it accessable at any given time.

I'm a light-duty linux user. I'm learning it now so i'll be ready for the dark future when palladium and TC becomes entrenched. (all the stupid morons out there in the world will happily buy into MS propaganda, and by the time everyone wakes up, it will be too late. )

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 14, 2004).]
2004-06-15, 6:58 AM #19
Well, I woudn't mind having the computer auto-mounting my devices if it worked correctly. I just don't trust supermount to do it correctly. It just breaks too many programs. Besides, I don't want it eating away my CPU trying to mount gigabytes of space on a USB drive if I don't even want to use it that day.

I think fstab means "File System Tab". I always say it in my head "F Stab" and I too can't help but visualize a bloody dagger. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-06-15, 3:03 PM #20
This thread ---> Tech forum. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage

↑ Up to the top!