Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A possible comic pitch:
A possible comic pitch:
2006-03-18, 9:55 PM #1
So, I'm excited about doing my own webcomic, Always Falling Short. It's going to be fun, comical, and utterly shallow and unoriginal. I sound negative, but these are actually long term goals. As long as the comic makes me laugh when I'm in a certain mood, I don't care who it appeals to. In my vision, a lot of people dislike my comic and find it immature, stupid, and based around shock value. There will, however, be people [Or the exact same people who hate it] that read the comic for what it is: unthoughtful humor. Oh, there will be wit, there will be sarcasm, and there will be political and social undertones. In the end, however, the comic bids a fond and fearful "**** off" to it's critical readers.

While that's good, and all, I crave something a little more serious and... presentable? I want to be able to show EVERYONE I know my work, not just my perverted internet comradery. Thus I'm considering doing a monthly or sporadically updated superhero comic. Here's the pitch:

I REALLY like the "Evolution" spin on the X-men universe, and the concept of politically/socially shunned "evolved" humans. What I don't like? Is how that's only an undertone to a sometimes silly-stupid soap-opera/action flick. Most comics today do that; they give you all of the possibilities and ideas for a fantastic story and meaningful artistic journey, and instead they make it a blockbuster 25 issue 'trend' and you never see it again. The company makes a profit, and the artists and writers re-hash it for their next release.

I like to drift. My pitch is going to be a pseudo-science 'evolution' revolution. The story will start in the cold war and the concept of psychic soldiers used by the Germans. A very few young people will be found in the "test" camps that weren't genetically altered, but had the wildcard gene mutation that induces evolution. I said pseudo-science, so we're not looking at floating fire-ball shooting superheroes. We're talking slowly regenerating people, soldiers with heightened senses of awareness [touch, smell, sight], high metabolism high school track runners, bigger and smaller people, overly dense/light bone mass, pigment-control skin, photosynthesis warriors, and the list goes on.

What I'm thinking is that I will release the story in 'issues' as if it were a real comic. Each issue will have 20 or so pages released whenever I get them done. Each issue will have a totally different story with different main-characters and their struggles with their slightly different genetic mutations, the political battle, and possibly some about their histories.

I really want to stay away from comic book clichés, so I'm going to try and keep the stories and feeling to the whole thing as realistic as possible. the art, however, will change for each comic. Color is an option.

There will be re-occurring themes, and my personal/political/social agenda will surely be a major plot-drive, but for the most part, I'm going to take reader-input, and possibly open up the comic for fan-stories that will be accepted and hosted as "canonized" characters.

Ideas? Suggestions? Meatloaf?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 10:05 PM #2
I'll get back w/ ideas and suggestions later, but for now I will tell you that if you go through with this, I will read it and I will try to provide any input you need.
2006-03-18, 10:14 PM #3
Quote:
Being a writer, I want all of the superpowers and sci-fi aspect to be paintbrushes
So that I can tell a story
NOT character DEVICES that RULE the comic
However, I don't want to go the way of Star Trek and let the characters rule the story, and write a soap-opera
I want to remain in the realm of human-condition-commentary
That's the major goal
I want to shoot for gray areas, not black and whites

From an AIM convo
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 10:21 PM #4
sounds good, but I woul dsay, don't put too much political stuff in.. you don't want the readers to feel lik eyou are preaching to them...
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-18, 10:22 PM #5
I hope to keep the political aspect to less commentary and have the comic itself ask QUESTIONS not give answeres. I won't be preaching, it'll be a sort of external conscience.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 10:22 PM #6
cool :)
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-03-18, 10:25 PM #7
I suggest no storlyines that last longer than that particular issue.
2006-03-18, 10:25 PM #8
Hmm, looks very interesting. I would definitly read it if you started it. I can't say too much with the comic still in planning stages, but it sounds very interesting. being a fan of the X-men myself, the idea of the (slightly) evolved humans sounds quite cool, on the same strain as X-Men but far more realistic. Good luck with it, and let me know when you get the first instalment up, i'll be waiting.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2006-03-18, 10:27 PM #9
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
I suggest no storlyines that last longer than that particular issue.

The only tie-ins with other comics would be the setting, and major political figures. Say, the evil political overlord, or a certain freedom activist, or a news reporter. I'd like to keep the world/universe's continuity. However, I don't want to have elaborate interlinked stories. The stories will remain singular.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 11:20 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
psychic soldiers used by the Germans.

I really want to stay away from comic book clichés

Right on!
2006-03-18, 11:27 PM #11
There's a difference between cliche and realism. The germans were working on that sort of thing, we know. I want this story to be as real as possible, not ficticious and surreal.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 11:27 PM #12
Why not Mongolia
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-18, 11:29 PM #13
There's a difference between cliche and realism. The germans were working on that sort of thing, we know. I want this story to be as real as possible, not ficticious and surreal.

Be that as it may, both nazis and psychic soldiers are some of the most tired cliches there are. :p
2006-03-18, 11:58 PM #14
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Be that as it may, both nazis and psychic soldiers are some of the most tired cliches there are. :p

But Germany can't be punished enough for the diarrhea it spewed out upon the world.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-19, 12:15 AM #15
Originally posted by Yecti:
But Germany can't be punished enough for the diarrhea it spewed out upon the world.

Yeah, stupid germans
2006-03-19, 7:29 AM #16
I'm 3/8ths Austrian. Does that make me 3/8ths stupid?

2006-03-19, 7:34 AM #17
That makes you 3/8ths HITLER!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-19, 10:18 AM #18
Just remember to actually get down to doing it.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-03-19, 1:09 PM #19
Anyone else? I need more suggestions!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 1:15 PM #20
[QUOTE=Movie Producer in King Kong]Will there be boobies?[/QUOTE]

I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-19, 1:17 PM #21
Where the hell did you get all of this wit all of the sudden? Seriously, it's like you went from 12 to badassmotherlover over night. You post "zings" all the time now. I approve.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 1:18 PM #22
He's not 12, he's 13. Sheesh. :p
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-19, 1:22 PM #23
Where the hell did you get all of this wit all of the sudden? Seriously, it's like you went from 12 to badassmotherlover over night. You post "zings" all the time now. I approve.

*Hides book of endless witty comments*

Puberty mental maturing?

Oh, and like Free said, it's 13 not 12! :p
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-19, 1:23 PM #24
I second the boobies suggestion.
2006-03-19, 1:39 PM #25
OK...well, might I suggest they be a special hitman type thing? Something along the lines of what UR was going to be.

Or something to the effect of a specialized team for a political group, a country, or something along those lines..
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-19, 2:03 PM #26
Quote:
I REALLY like the "Evolution" spin on the X-men universe, and the concept of politically/socially shunned "evolved" humans. What I don't like? Is how that's only an undertone to a sometimes silly-stupid soap-opera/action flick. Most comics today do that; they give you all of the possibilities and ideas for a fantastic story and meaningful artistic journey, and instead they make it a blockbuster 25 issue 'trend' and you never see it again. The company makes a profit, and the artists and writers re-hash it for their next release.

The way they "evolve" is really, really stupid.
2006-03-19, 2:09 PM #27
I concur with the boobies.
2006-03-19, 2:13 PM #28
[QUOTE=King Kong Producer Dude]Will there be boobies?[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Shintock:
I second the boobies suggestion.

Originally posted by Zecks:
I concur with the boobies.

I've started a revolution...

There MUST be boobies. Maybe these people can fight to preserve free boobies?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-19, 3:13 PM #29
Concept Art:

[http://www.zentatsu.com/homoroboticus.jpg]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 3:22 PM #30
After out little discussion on this in MSN, this could be very, very cool. Very. Cool. But these guys have GOT to be very limited...these are multi million dollar investments, and even then I doubt they'd very easily part with it and let it do something that might kill/break it.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-19, 3:28 PM #31
So zloc's post makes sense:

A kid is born with a low resistance to foreign objects, making his immune system literally useless. Logically, because his body doesn't decay and break down anything artificially placed in his body, medical scientists rig his body with a laboratory created immune system. A complex grouping of wires that act as artificial implants. The government steps in, realizing the possibilities, and begins installing less health-related cybernetics to the child. The newly created symbiot relationship is dubbed the scientific name "Homo Roboticus."

[This is pseudo science, and a lot more likely than you might expect]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 4:03 PM #32
Concept Art:

[http://www.zentatsu.com/homoroboticus.jpg]

*snicker*
2006-03-19, 4:06 PM #33
The Cold War is over...we won!

(Boobies is a must.)
2006-03-19, 6:49 PM #34
Watchmen > all other hero comics
2006-03-20, 1:26 AM #35
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Yeah, stupid germans

Yeah, **** them all!

On-topic: Uhm, well, yeah, whatever...

:rolleyes:
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-20, 2:29 PM #36
You people are a well of useful information and ideas. Really.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!