Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Remember back to your driver test.
Remember back to your driver test.
2006-03-20, 6:29 PM #1
..for those who can drive.

Anyway, did you have to be tested on parallel parking? Years ago, no, I was not tested on parallel parking. Hell, I wasn't even tested on regular parking because the test was so over quick. I was tested on backing up in a straight line, though.

I only have one friend who had parallel parking on his driver test. Just for my test, I learned how to perform this parking maneuver. But not once had I needed to use it since the day I mastered it.

But still, shouldn't parallel parking abilities be tested? While its not a common practice for me, its a common thing to do in cities and city streets. I see some horrible parking jobs by some people these days.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-20, 6:31 PM #2
Its required here
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-03-20, 6:31 PM #3
Was not required here

hasn't been for a while
一个大西瓜
2006-03-20, 6:32 PM #4
No test on parallel parking. I took the test with a manual tranny, though. :p
woot!
2006-03-20, 6:39 PM #5
Here in Arizona, it depends on the DMV you go to.

At one, 3 point turn is required.

At another, it's parallel park.
2006-03-20, 6:41 PM #6
In texas, we dont have a driving test. We sign a form and take a 15 question multiple choice test. We can take it up to 3 times a day in the case that we fail.

Voila, license.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-03-20, 6:43 PM #7
Really, no driver's test in Texas?
2006-03-20, 6:47 PM #8
It's not required in California but some DMVs will still do it. Same with highway driving I believe.

Parallel parking is easy anyway.
2006-03-20, 6:50 PM #9
Originally posted by Echoman:
Really, no driver's test in Texas?

You don't need to know that much to drive a tractor :p
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-03-20, 6:54 PM #10
It's required in Ontario for your G2, which is the level that's kind of in between your learner's permit (G1) and your full license (G).

I screwed it up; my own fault though for taking the test in a pickup truck. Still passed though.
Stuff
2006-03-20, 7:22 PM #11
Its required in KY, or at least, it was as of 6 years ago.

Even more odd; all new drivers are required to take traffic school. Ive only had one ticket, but Ive been to traffic school twice. :o
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-03-20, 7:35 PM #12
Haha, I never had to take a driving test to get my license. I took no driver's ed (classroom) or driver's training (behind the wheel). All I had to take was the written permit test.
2006-03-20, 7:36 PM #13
Originally posted by kyle90:
It's required in Ontario for your G2, which is the level that's kind of in between your learner's permit (G1) and your full license (G).

I screwed it up; my own fault though for taking the test in a pickup truck. Still passed though.

Required, but I didn't have to apparently. My G2 test was over in under 10 minutes. No joke.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-20, 7:38 PM #14
I had to have the parallel parking test - and achieved it quite well!
2006-03-20, 7:41 PM #15
I didn't have to.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-20, 7:42 PM #16
It was required for me. It was the part I screwed up. "Excessive maneuvering," she called it. Still passed though. Basically she told me to park in a spot where the curb was odd. The car in front made the curb appear further away because the curb changed like this:
Code:
____
|car|\____
|___|  |my car|
       |______|

So instead of seeing my car lined up with the car in front of me, it appeared off-center. I attempted to get closer a couple of times before I realized I was parked fine.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-03-20, 7:45 PM #17
I actually took my drivers test last Thursday. I failed, because I didn't stop for a full "one onethousand, two onethousand, three onethousand" at a stop sign.

Parallel parking was required, which I did fine. She expected me to park my really big truck into a normal parking space in one smooth turn, which is really difficult...

I take it again on Friday.
2006-03-20, 8:15 PM #18
I failed my G2 when I went for it because of parallel parking... I knew exactly what I was doing and how to do it, but my insctuctor paniced and said that it was the first time they had to tell someone to stop cause they were gonna hit something.

honestly, I know my car and what it's able to do and it's turn radius... he also was supprised I didn't stop for a certain amber light, but because of the time the light went amber and the proximity to the intersection I deduced it'd be safer to go through then abrubtly stop and have the guy behind me slam into my rear... he though otherwise apparently.

The second time I did it I did not need to parallel park, but I did need to park on a hill going up... I'll always remember supermans advise for that, Up Up and away!! meaning on a up hill you park with your wheels facing away from the curb so if your brake gives out when your parked the tires will hit the curb and stop instead of rolling into traffic. :D

Kid in my school went for his G2 and did everything perfectly, got back to the DMV and the guy failed him, turns out he did the entire test without his seat belt on :D
The Gas Station
2006-03-20, 8:47 PM #19
All I did for my test was drive around the block. I failed my first test because the only thing my dad taught me was how to parallel park (it was football season and he didn't want to leave the house.) I became a master at parallel parking, but had never driven outside of a parking lot. Needless to say, I scared the woman half to death. Next time taking it, I passed my driving around a block with flying colors.

An amusing story with our DMV though...my friend's sister took the test and they marked her off for stopping at a stop sign after the car in front of her stopped. According to them, you don't have to stop after the person in front of you has already stopped. Welcome to New Mexico.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-03-20, 10:34 PM #20
[QUOTE=Trigger Happy Chewie]Here in Arizona, it depends on the DMV you go to.

At one, 3 point turn is required.

At another, it's parallel park.[/QUOTE]
The one on 59th is the 3 point turn, right? I still need to get my license, and I don't want to bother with parallel parking. (Who parallel parks in Phoenix, anyway?)
2006-03-21, 2:09 AM #21
If I remember correctly, they didn't test it for me. I had practiced it enough, though, like any other tricks they might suddenly decide to test.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-21, 2:42 AM #22
As far as I'm aware, in England you're tested on two out of four maneuvers: parallel parking, reversing around a corner, 3-point turn, and reverse bay parking. The examiner chooses which you do randomly during your test.

I'm very close to taking my test now :o Hopefully I can pass before the exams start.
2006-03-21, 2:48 AM #23
Originally posted by LividDK27:
As far as I'm aware, in England you're tested on two out of four maneuvers: parallel parking, reversing around a corner, 3-point turn, and reverse bay parking. The examiner chooses which you do randomly during your test.

It's more or less the same in Germany. But you could also be tested in starting uphill and full breaking (but this is almost never requested because it does too much harm to the wheels).
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-21, 3:48 AM #24
But then again, in England, they'll fail you quickly if you screw up. I think you used to be able to fail if you hit the kerb on a three-point turn, btu that may (or may not) have been changed now.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-21, 3:56 AM #25
Originally posted by LividDK27:

First time I heard "reverse bay parking." :confused: I had to look it up.
2006-03-21, 4:16 AM #26
That's very traditional. I had to do it.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-21, 4:36 AM #27
[QUOTE=- Tony -]But then again, in England, they'll fail you quickly if you screw up. I think you used to be able to fail if you hit the kerb on a three-point turn, btu that may (or may not) have been changed now.[/QUOTE]

You did when I took the test in 2000.

Also, I was definitely prepared for // parking - but it didn't come up in my test (emergency stop did though! Wheeeee!)
2006-03-21, 5:50 AM #28
Here they make you do either a reverse-parallel, a three-point turn, or a 10 meter reverse close to a curb. I had to do the three-point.

My instructor taught me all the sight-lines and turning points for a reverse parallel before taking the test, but like heaps of newbie drivers I avoided the things for about a year after getting my licence. Finanly attempted one out of frustration one night and nailed it first time, without remembering at all what my instructor had taught me. They're pretty easy to do just on instinct once you have a feel for your car.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-03-21, 6:09 AM #29
yeah i had to take it. i failed it twice. the first time i slammed into the ****ing barrel....second time i wasn't close enough to the wall. kindof lame to parallel against a wall instead of a curb. -_- passed it the third time but the guy still had a problem cause i didnt know how to turn off the ****in fog lights. i told him off. i did the road test perfect tho, even with annoying kids running across the street.

i've been in 2 accidents since i moved though. both not my fault. first one, the guy didn't feel like stopping at a stop sign and rear-ended me, totally demolishing his front end while my rear bumper didnt take a scratch. second, some stupid woman driver decided she had the right of way, cut off a buncha cars in the left lane and got her rear passenger door smashed in pretty good. only damaged my grill and left light panel.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2006-03-21, 6:29 AM #30
I love three point turns, I learned how to do them using only second gear - without stopping at any point (except the obvious velocity shift between forwards and reverse).

Parallel parks are annoying because they depend entirely on the conditions so there's no real trick other than experience.

I had to do three point turn and reverse corner in my test. The reverse corner was good because there were a bunch of schoolkids crossing the road so I got to just chill out for a few minutes whilst I waited.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-21, 8:14 AM #31
No paralell parking here. They sort of taught it, but wasn't on the test, IIRC. Was quite a while ago though.

I passed the second time. Passed the written test 100% in super fast time. :D
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-21, 8:38 AM #32
As GBK stated, parallel parking is required in KY. However, when I took the test, many, many moons ago, the instructor asked me to park between two wooden horses. He didn't specifically state that I had to parallel park so I just pulled right in and backed up a little to straighten out. He stated that he 'meant' for me to parallel park but that it would have to do.
2006-03-21, 12:17 PM #33
Mine was easier than ****. No parallel parking, no highway. I just went around the block in a residential neighborhood. Never went over 30 mph, changed lanes once but the place was deserted. It scared me knowing that just anybody could do exactly what I did and be out on the road. I live in nothern california.
2006-03-21, 12:23 PM #34
It's required to do the parellel parking in MD.

It's also required to wear your seatbelt.

/knows well
//from experience
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-03-21, 2:44 PM #35
I parallel park every day, although I never used it before moving downtown although it WAS required on my driving exam.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-21, 2:54 PM #36
Originally posted by JLee:
No test on parallel parking. I took the test with a manual tranny, though. :p

As did I. And we did do parallel parking. But seriously, a maunal is just as easy to parallel park as a automatic. (I aced the parrallel parking section)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-03-22, 3:12 AM #37
i am doing a versio where i dont do a test, but lessons in which i have a log book of certain tings i need to do with an instructor in the car (related to making the car work, doing the correct manouvers on places like round-abouts and basic driving stuff, when it is all completed, we can get our liscence).

but, about paralell parking, i am not sure. there is hardly any place in canberra with parallel parking, and those that do basicly require two movements to get into.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-03-22, 1:22 PM #38
I didn't need to do it, but I think it should be on the test.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-03-22, 2:57 PM #39
The test here wasn't too bad. First parallel parking, which was the hard part, as they have cones to simulate cars and then a line to simulate the curb. The other part of the test is just driving around a block or two.
2006-03-22, 3:07 PM #40
I got tested on parallel parking and reversing round a corner in my test in the UK, past first time :D

In the UK (I think) there are 3 main maneuvers you need to know, because you can be tested on anyone (or two...not sure) of them in the test, they are;

Parallel Parking
Reversing Round a Corner
3-Point Turn

There is also a bunch of other stuff you will be tested on for sure like emergency breaking, roundabouts but the maneuvers are normally the focus of lessons before the test. You also learn starting on a hill but in the test there isn't always the option to do it.

should point out that I passed in July 2001 so things may have changed slightly since then, I know for sure that there is a mechanical test involved now where you have to explain how to check the oil, water and tire pressures, this is on top of the theory test.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!