Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Chinese Gold Farmers"
"Chinese Gold Farmers"
2006-03-21, 8:22 AM #1
Link

Made about a couple months ago. It's more like a documentry.

Part WoW/Part culture related.
2006-03-21, 8:35 AM #2
Fascinating how the virtual world is starting to blur with the real world. Soon they'll be so indistinguishable that Neo will be able to stop the sentinels using his mind.

Exciting times we live in.
Stuff
2006-03-21, 8:38 AM #3
the editing of that video was atrocious.
2006-03-21, 11:46 AM #4
Wow..
2006-03-21, 2:03 PM #5
I've never liked gold farmers or power levelers. Fun in the game is derived from doing things for yourself and being able to claim that you've earned what you have.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-03-21, 3:45 PM #6
That is very interesting. Thanks for posting.
2006-03-21, 3:57 PM #7
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]the editing of that video was atrocious.[/QUOTE]

Ug, that was my biggest beef.

Anyway, it was funny when the one kid said "Foreign Players call us 'Chinese Farmers.' and feel inferior."

Wow. Are you Chinese? Are you farming gold? Oh, you are? Shut up. Is there a better term for you? "Service Laborer?"

And it was also funny how the owner of the company felt like he was doing good by cashing in on the american dollar. The reason America's dollar is worth so much is because of the sweatshops and outsourcing that YOU YOURSELF ARE DOING. There's no reason to convert Chinese labor into American dollars when you could work for China itself and possibly redeem the Yaung!!!! Gah, Chinese sentiment towards America is stupid.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-21, 4:14 PM #8
The outsourcing "You yourself" are doing? Sure, but the companies are going to have the bulk of the labour done wherever it's cheapest to do it, regardless of what country it is. It's probably safe to assume everybody's guilty in some way- world economics are screwed up as it is. It'd probably be best for all of us if we agreed to never try to understand them, and if I would shut the hell up.

Anyway, interesting video. I'll agree with Ric_Olie in that I never cared much for farmers and powergamers, but people are always going to take advantage of situations like that. We may not like it, but there's little we can do about it aside from doing things the correct way and feeling good about it.
2006-03-21, 4:34 PM #9
I'm not saying America isn't at fault, I'm saying that it's pretty stupid to ***** about feeling inferior because of the job you chose to do, and the market you chose to work in.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-21, 4:50 PM #10
Heh, yeah. Poor guy. There's a certain number of things that need to be accepted with any job. I'm sure one gets over them just after they get over the fact that they play a game for a living. (Man, that's weird to imagine.) Still a shame some may think that gives them free reign to talk down to farmers. Just leave 'em alone, you kids!
2006-03-21, 5:12 PM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Anyway, it was funny when the one kid said "Foreign Players call us 'Chinese Farmers.' and feel inferior."

Wow. Are you Chinese? Are you farming gold? Oh, you are? Shut up. Is there a better term for you? "Service Laborer?"

I understand there's a degree of shame associated with being a farmer in much of south east asia. As a farmer you scratch a living out of the land and can be considered one of the lowest social classes whereas work in the city carries an element of prestige which this guy obviously was hoping for some respect for, but instead people are saying he's no different to the country folk.
That's my understanding of it anyway; just some hurt pride and a culture clash.
2006-03-21, 7:47 PM #12
Holy crap, I remember that now. Absolutely right- that history class is all coming back. Coming from an agricultural background myself, (and a western culture) I must say it never really came to mind. Your saying that really tips the whole thing over; thanks for pointing it out.
2006-03-22, 2:56 AM #13
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:
Heh, yeah. Poor guy. There's a certain number of things that need to be accepted with any job. I'm sure one gets over them just after they get over the fact that they play a game for a living. (Man, that's weird to imagine.) Still a shame some may think that gives them free reign to talk down to farmers. Just leave 'em alone, you kids!

I dare you to tell that to the players of the game FFXI. there, RMT is a bigger problem because it is a system where it is much more feasable to run a big operation. The RMT is a big problem and infringes on the enjoyment of the game, which i pay good money to play.

I am waiting for the day when RMT is as rampant in WoW as it is in FFXI. When that day comes, I will laugh at the people that use WoW players as their sample population when taking statistics on chinese gold farmers.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!