Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vista delayed
Vista delayed
2006-03-22, 11:08 AM #41
I use the "Path" variable in XP all the time now. I love it.

I add the full path of my desktop to the Path variable in the "Environment Variables" and then create short-named shortcuts to my desktop, then I can just go to start>run>> shorcut name (without the .lnk even) and it's worked.

Makes my work life a lot easier
2006-03-22, 11:15 AM #42
Besides.. why go to the trouble when you can just set hotkeys to open programs?

I have XP set up to where I just hit alt+f and firefox opens. I can open firefox before you can even open the command prompt. :p
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 11:25 AM #43
Personally, I'm not a fan of Hotkeys. Although my preferences do change from time-to-time.

I prefer typing in the program i need to open in the run prompt, command line, or whever else, instead of using HotKeys. Not sure why I prefer it this way, it just feels more natural, and flows better with my common routine I guess.
2006-03-22, 1:04 PM #44
Originally posted by Emon:
That's because their binaries are in a common directory, e.g. /usr/bin or /usr/share/bin, and those directories are in the path variable.

You can do the same thing in Windows, although I'm not sure why you would want to. If you want a common bin folder, I would suggest making a folder of shortcuts to your favorite programs, or hardlinks (with NTFS Link, think symbolic links in Windows, NTFS Link is the easiest way to do it) to them. But, like I said, why? It's not so you can go "lol I'm running **** from the command prompt, I'm hardcore," I hope.

1) Yeah...I got that.

2) You CAN do the same thing in Windows, but it's not as easy to do, is more manual than automatic, etc.

3) If you would've read the very post you quoted, you would realize I want to do it because it's faster for me to do stuff that way.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 3:26 PM #45
Starting programs from the command line is for nerds with small penises.

OSX dock FTW. And if your app isn't in the dock, Apple-Shift-A brings up the Applications folder. Quick enough for me. Opening up a console would just be a waste of time.
2006-03-22, 3:29 PM #46
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Solitaire has framerate issues.

Hmmmm, lag in solitare? Vista lost 1 point in my book
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-03-22, 3:32 PM #47
Originally posted by Shintock:

OSX dock FTW. And if your app isn't in the dock, Apple-Shift-A brings up the Applications folder. Quick enough for me. Opening up a console would just be a waste of time.

I hate that dock, and the toolbar at the top...and pretty much everything about OSX.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 3:35 PM #48
All that hate for OSX, and yet your penis still isn't any bigger.
2006-03-22, 3:37 PM #49
Yeah, but how are you supposed to chain the output of one program to the input of another, or change input from stdin to a file without a console?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 3:38 PM #50
All that hate for OSX, and yet your penis still isn't any bigger.

Never intended for it to be bigger. I loved it at first, but then slowly I just garnered more and more hatred for it...the irony about OSX is that the programs that give me the most problems with it are the in-house ones (Safari and iChat).
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 3:47 PM #51
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Never intended for it to be bigger. I loved it at first, but then slowly I just garnered more and more hatred for it...[/QUOTE]

:o
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-03-22, 3:48 PM #52
oh SNAP
2006-03-22, 3:48 PM #53
Yeah.. uh.. heh... *cough*

You should have specified what you meant by 'it', exactly, as it can be interpreted 2 different ways. :D
2006-03-22, 3:50 PM #54

No. It's just faster. I have most of my most used programs bound to short commands in x-chat. I wrote a command line calculator I wrote in perl that uses /c [calculation] and it copies the result to the clipboard. I have a password script which uses /p [id or password] which generates a md5sum of the supplied password and copies it to the clipboard (removes it after 30 seconds though.) which I use for most of my passwords.

It's faster to use the command line than to navigate menus a lot of the time. Especially if it's a program that does one simple job.

I use quicklaunch to run most non-command line programs. Games, applications, etc.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-03-22, 3:58 PM #55
oh SNAP

:)
2006-03-22, 4:09 PM #56
Good god did I walk into that joke. Yeah.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 7:40 PM #57
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Read the thread?[/QUOTE]

For some unknown reason, I don't remember that there were any significant posts before mine and then BAM! there they are today!
2006-03-23, 10:34 AM #58
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]2) You CAN do the same thing in Windows, but it's not as easy to do, is more manual than automatic, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I said.

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]3) If you would've read the very post you quoted, you would realize I want to do it because it's faster for me to do stuff that way.[/QUOTE]
I did, I just don't understand how it's easier than, say, a desktop shortcut. More effective would maybe be something like that app search thing in OSX. I don't know what it's called, but it drops down and you type in the name of the program you want to run and hit enter.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-23, 10:49 AM #59
just use cygwin if you're desperate for bash functionality in windows
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-23, 10:53 AM #60
Originally posted by Emon:
Yeah, that's what I said.

I did, I just don't understand how it's easier than, say, a desktop shortcut. More effective would maybe be something like that app search thing in OSX. I don't know what it's called, but it drops down and you type in the name of the program you want to run and hit enter.

I don't use desktop shortcuts--they're too cluttered. I only use my start menu and quicklaunch. I want something I can run from ANY view--and not have to minimize to desktop to use. It'd be faster and more effective for me. Trust me, it's not like I haven't been on both sides--I've used it before.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!