Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oblivion thread part 2: Classes?
Oblivion thread part 2: Classes?
2006-03-22, 8:48 AM #1
I decided to leave the other thread for screenshots and mini-reviews. For this thread, I want to know what classes you guys are playing, specifically the custom classes and also start a discussion of the different skills.

The inspiration for my class was the Republic Commando books and game, so I tried to model my class after them(and called it Commando). The skills I gave my class were Block, Blade, Acrobatics, Sneak, Illusion, Marksman, Heavy Armor. I was considering Alchemy, but not only does that seem very involved, but I only really care about the Apprentice-level potions you can make(particularly Detect Life and Night's Eye). The rest of the Alchemy potions are probably a little too involved for my tastes. I went with Acrobatics to get dodging and jump striking faster and didn't go Athletics because I see absolutely no reason to take it as a main skill since I'm going to be using a lot anyway. I went Illusion because of the properties of creating light, moralizing and demoralizing combatants, silencing, and the Charm spell will help with persuasion(this doesn't add to my Commando concept, but it comes with the other spells so I'll take it.) I went Heavy Armor with Sneak because A) Heavy armor doesn't affect sneaking(except boots, but that is only until you get higher in sneaking) and B) Republic Commandoes have very tough armor, so I wanted to reflect that.

What is your custom class?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-03-22, 9:56 AM #2
I'll be playing as a thief.

Here are a few of the more important skills I'll be using:

Sneak
Acrobatics
Marksman
Blade
Block
Medium Armour (maybe heavy) Comments on this?
Illusion

There will be obviously more, I just don't know if they are all similar to Morrowinds.

I'd like to see everyone elses thief characters who actually own the game.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-22, 9:57 AM #3
Spellsword (not the original one, but a custom one)

Combat

Strength
Endurance

Blade
Heavy Armor
Light Armor
Destruction
Illusion
Restoration
Athletics

The Lady
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-22, 9:58 AM #4
Originally posted by Sol:
Medium Armour (maybe heavy) Comments on this?

There is only Light or Heavy, and definatly go with Light, as you get major maluses to your sneaking until very high level sneak.
2006-03-22, 9:59 AM #5
Originally posted by Sol:
I'll be playing as a thief.

2006-03-22, 10:39 AM #6
I thought about going as a thief, but I went straight up Vanilla Acrobat. Had everything I needed/wanted.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 11:59 AM #7
I have a question about magic: If I don't invest any points in Willpower, am I pretty much never going to get a larger pool of mana? Will it grow larger just by advancing my Illusion? Right now my mana pool doesn't bother me, but I'm not going to be able to use any higher tier Illusion spells later on if it doesn't grow.
2006-03-22, 12:22 PM #8
Kieran, you'll definatly need to grow your willpower to gain a larger pool.
2006-03-22, 12:33 PM #9
Battlemage

Axes+Destruction=win
2006-03-22, 12:51 PM #10
I think I'm going to switch Illusion with Alchemy. Alchemy has a lot of the effects I want and I won't have to rely on mana. It will also give me Intellect as I level it up(which is what gives larger mana pools, not Willpower), so I can take Illusion as a minor and do it that way.

So, Block, Blade, Acrobatics, Heavy Armor, Sneak, Alchemy. I suppose I could replace Acrobatics with Illusion, but I'm not sure how easy it is to level Acrobatics.
2006-03-22, 12:59 PM #11
Sounds good, except that I would personally replace acrobatics with athletics. With time you'll be able to run and still regenerate your fatigue at full speed. Acrobatics gives better damage to marksman skill, light armor and also gives a dodging perk later on (that you use with jump+block combo) but seeing as you're going with block, blade and heavy armor, you'll already have some pretty good defense.
2006-03-22, 1:07 PM #12
Agility increases marksman damage.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 1:31 PM #13
Yea, thats what I meant.
2006-03-22, 1:48 PM #14
I guess I'll be adding agility to my list.

Overlord, battlemage eh? Iiiinteresting...
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-22, 2:51 PM #15
I went straight up Assassin. Had everything I wanted. Loving it so far.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2006-03-22, 2:52 PM #16
Wait, you can FORGE a class!?

WHAT ARE THE SYSTEM SPECS!?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-22, 2:53 PM #17
Originally posted by Crimson:
I went straight up Assassin. Had everything I wanted. Loving it so far.

I got the strategy guide and read ahead, and all I can say is...it's gonna get better. :D
2006-03-22, 2:57 PM #18
Originally posted by JediKirby:

As far as I know, you can do that in all games morrowind related :P
2006-03-22, 2:59 PM #19

http://www.google.com/search?q=oblivion+system+requirements&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
woot!
2006-03-22, 3:00 PM #20
I picked Nightblade, starsign of theif.

It's pretty awesome. I can carry some heavy ****, get neat magic, and I can run 80 kajillion miles per hour.
2006-03-22, 3:02 PM #21
Are all the skills identical to Morrowind's?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 3:02 PM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
I picked Nightblade, starsign of theif.

It's pretty awesome. I can carry some heavy ****, get neat magic, and I can run 80 kajillion miles per hour.

Nice. Speed was one of my favorite Morrowind attributes -- I couldn't really stand playing a new character..took forever to get anywhere.
woot!
2006-03-22, 3:08 PM #23
Originally posted by JLee:
Nice. Speed was one of my favorite Morrowind attributes -- I couldn't really stand playing a new character..took forever to get anywhere.

hehe I remeber in morrowind, I cheated one of my characters to have max agility and such, so my jump was three times my body length and my run speed was NASCAR scale.
2006-03-22, 3:29 PM #24

You could do that in Morrowind too...
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!