Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Clarifying question for people with iPods
Clarifying question for people with iPods
2006-03-26, 4:26 PM #1
Believe it or not, I've avoided the whole mp3 player wave for several years and have no real plans to get an mp3 player now. I do, however, have a couple questions regarding (the new) iPods --

1) you can only get songs on there through iTunes, right?
>> does this mean that you can't just import some random mp3? Or can you simply import that mp3 into iTunes and then get it on there
2) What about video? Can you put any .avi file on there? How (through iTunes?)

I guess the more general question is, how restricted is the transfer of files to the iPod? In comparison with other mp3/media players?
一个大西瓜
2006-03-26, 4:42 PM #2
There are various programs that let you put songs on your iPod, other than iTunes. On iTunes, you do simply import the mp3 to get it on. I am not sure about video, because I have an older generation.
2006-03-26, 4:43 PM #3
Originally posted by Pommy:
...does this mean that you can't just import some random mp3? Or can you simply import that mp3 into iTunes and then get it on there...

I cant speak for Windows, but I know that I can copy any audio file I want onto an Ipod via amaroK, as well as a myriad of other tools.

[Actually, come to think of it, its probably possible to simply mount an Ipod via usb-storage and copy files via any interface you choose]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-03-26, 5:21 PM #4
Believe it or not, I've avoided the whole mp3 player wave for several years and have no real plans to get an mp3 player now. I do, however, have a couple questions regarding (the new) iPods --

>> does this mean that you can't just import some random mp3? Or can you simply import that mp3 into iTunes and then get it on there

I guess the more general question is, how restricted is the transfer of files to the iPod? In comparison with other mp3/media players?

1) Yes, and you can import the MP3--through iTunes or some other plugin (there's ones for WinAmp and Foobar).
2) No, has to be a special format. Has to be put on through iTunes so far as I know.
D E A T H
2006-03-26, 6:06 PM #5
1: Fortunately, iTunes isn't the only option (Winamp 5.2 has it as a basic feature, but I use iTunes anyway as It supports trackart)

2: Videos for the iPod are all mpeg4 videos (so no, it doesn't support .avi or DIVX).
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-03-26, 6:46 PM #6
version 5.2 of winamp comes as standard now with ipod support, its only pretty basic at the moment but allows song transfer pretty easily through the media library.

The same guy who made the plugin is now on the winamp team developing it as standard so its expected updates will come with each version update.

I've got the 3rd generation ipod and winamp works fine it no probs, I've got no idea on the video transfer, from what I can gather it currently doesn't support either video or photo transfer, at the moment.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-26, 6:49 PM #7
You can also convert videos using Videora iPod Converter. It's not particularly fast, but it converts near any kind of file, unlike iTunes.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2006-03-26, 7:29 PM #8

You need iTunes to put them on your iPod, but iTunes has a feature called "consolidate library"

Basically, i takes ALL music stored on your computer and puts it in iTunes format in your iTunes library, and from there can be put on your iPod

I believe it is the same process for video
My Signature
2006-03-26, 8:33 PM #9
Or you can install linux on it and do it all. Video has limitations. http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

(I've never done it, but it looks cool)
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-03-26, 10:05 PM #10
Winamp has a basic feature, but there's also a plugin that was made before the feature was implemented.

2006-03-27, 4:44 AM #11
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Winamp has a basic feature, but there's also a plugin that was made before the feature was implemented.[/QUOTE]its called the ml_ipod plugin, the only problem is that appears to be (at least in some cases) a bit of a conflict between winamp 5.2 and the plugin.

Personally when I had both installed and tried to access my ipod it corrupted its database and I had to format it, although it doesn't appear to be happening with everyone.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!