Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lady or the Tiger?
Lady or the Tiger?
2006-03-31, 5:04 PM #1
For those who know the story I'm talking about, do you think that a tiger or lady came out of the room the guy opened in the story "The Lady or the Tiger"?

Oh, and we just read this story in class yesterday.

I think the tiger came out, especially seeing how big of a brat the princess was. Also, for those who haven't read this, I'm certain if you google "Lady or the Tiger" you can find the story online, it isn't long.

Debate.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-31, 5:11 PM #2
Totally the tiger.

He's greeaaaattt.
2006-03-31, 5:32 PM #3
Is he named Tony?
2006-03-31, 7:41 PM #4
I hate it when story tellers don't finish their stories. If the guy had an ounce of brains he'd pick the opposite of what the princess told him.
2006-03-31, 7:50 PM #5
I've never read it.

I would have picked... my nose.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-04-01, 10:29 PM #6
The point of this story isn't the end, does it really matter how it ends, other than the fact that you have closure? The point of the story is the morality, the humanity, and trying to read a character of a story.

The story wouldn't be nearly as famous or well known if he had ended it with "The tiger jumped out and mauled the man."
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-04-02, 12:01 AM #7
And what makes you think he couldn't marry the tiger? Maybe that society in the story was more open minded and civil about love! :p
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-04-02, 12:16 AM #8
Originally posted by happydud:
The story wouldn't be nearly as famous or well known if he had ended it with "The tiger jumped out and mauled the man."

That's how Hemmingway wrote and he's famous.

Edit: Hemmingway would have just wrote "The tiger killed him"
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-02, 2:20 PM #9
Originally posted by happydud:
The point of this story isn't the end, does it really matter how it ends, other than the fact that you have closure? The point of the story is the morality, the humanity, and trying to read a character of a story.

That's almost exactly (you could almost put quotation marks around that) what my teacher said, and that it would be no where near as controversial or remembered as it has been if it had had an actual ending.

But yeah, that's what my teacher kinda brought out as the main pont.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-02, 5:12 PM #10
Obiously the door opened to the lady.

Then the princess, being semi-barbaric, brought about the death of the lady, and reunited herself with the man.

Duh.

I mean, really, do you even have to stop and think about it? Is it that hard? The lady was behind the door.

[edit] 3 for lady, 18 for tiger. You guys don't get it. ;)
2006-04-02, 5:13 PM #11
Tiger, because no woman would ever willingly give up her man to her rival.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-02, 5:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Axis:
[edit] 3 for lady, 18 for tiger. You guys don't get it. ;)
"The Tiger came out and mauled the guy" sounds so much cooler.
2006-04-03, 9:40 AM #13
IIRC, one of our assignments in high school when we read this story was to write a parody ending. I think I had the lady riding the tiger come out, and then she mauled the guy.

I may not recall correctly though.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-03, 10:01 AM #14
I married the girl and fed the princess to the tiger. Stop debating.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless

↑ Up to the top!