Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → high speed gaming
high speed gaming
2006-03-31, 8:56 PM #1
What in ze hell could cause this problem:

I am trying to play the SP campaign of XIII... I've played it before on a different PC and it works superbly. Now, I'm using this new, better one, and I'm having the most bizarre problem ever. Everything in-game is sped up many times faster than realtime. The NPC anims, my movement speed, etc, are all fast. Incredibly, stupidly fast. Sounds play at normal speed and the animations wait at their endpoints for the sounds to finish before the next impossibly fast animation begins.

It's irritating like you would not believe...

Any ideas? When I exit after said problem, I get the following message:

Quote:
General protection fault!

History: UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XIIIRootWindow Transient.InteractionMaster0.XIIIRootWindow0, Function XIDInterf.XIIIRootWindow.UWindows.BeginState) <- UObject::GotoState <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XIIIConsole Transient.InteractionMaster0.XIIIConsole0, Function XIDInterf.XIIIConsole.ShowTheMenu) <- UObject::ScriptConsoleExec <- (XIIIConsole Transient.InteractionMaster0.XIIIConsole0) <- UViewport::Exec <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- APlayerController::execConsoleCommand <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XIIIPlayerController MapMenu.XIIIPlayerController3, Function XIII.XIIIPlayerController.ShowMenu) <- UObject::ScriptConsoleExec <- (XIIIPlayerController MapMenu.XIIIPlayerController3) <- UPlayer::Exec <- UViewport::Exec <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- APlayerController::execConsoleCommand <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XIIIPlayerController MapMenu.XIIIPlayerController3, Function XIII.XIIIPlayerController.InitInputSystem) <- APlayerController::SetPlayer <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (MapMenu) <- ClientInit <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Anyways post crazy errors or bugs you've experienced in anything.
2006-03-31, 8:58 PM #2
Originally posted by saberopus:
I am trying to play the SP campaign of XIII...

The rest of that post is useless. That game is awesome, through and through. I love that game.

I've gotten stuck in Zelda games before (litterally stuck), some off main level areas of HL, that's mostly it.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-31, 9:08 PM #3
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
The rest of that post is useless. That game is awesome, through and through. I love that game.

I've gotten stuck in Zelda games before (litterally stuck), some off main level areas of HL, that's mostly it.

...? It is awesome. The post is not useless. You are a foob.
2006-03-31, 9:23 PM #4
Zloc, it's about a problem with the game haha
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-31, 9:30 PM #5
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Zloc, it's about a problem with the game haha[/QUOTE]
I recogonize that. My point was I didn't care about the rest of the post, he was acknowledging one of my favorite games ever.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-31, 9:32 PM #6
The only weird error I remember recently was the "Alex twins" bug in Half-Life 2.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-03-31, 9:42 PM #7
I recogonize that. My point was I didn't care about the rest of the post, he was acknowledging one of my favorite games ever.
How nice for you.

Please never post in any more computer help threads ever again.

saberopus: Please post your system specifications. Is it a laptop or a desktop? Have you installed the latest patch?

Is vsync enabled or disabled in the game? Is vsync enabled or disabled in your video card configuration application? Have you ever used online game cheat applications or speedhacks which alter the speed of your system clock?

More info please.
2006-03-31, 9:42 PM #8
I recogonize

The rest of that post was useless.

:D I couldn't resist...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-31, 10:32 PM #9
You should also list your comptuer specs as well.

Do you have a dual core cpu? If so, you should try to set it to one of them only.
\(='_'=)/
2006-04-02, 11:41 AM #10
Originally posted by Jon`C:
How nice for you.

Please never post in any more computer help threads ever again.

saberopus: Please post your system specifications. Is it a laptop or a desktop? Have you installed the latest patch?

Is vsync enabled or disabled in the game? Is vsync enabled or disabled in your video card configuration application? Have you ever used online game cheat applications or speedhacks which alter the speed of your system clock?

More info please.

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
2x nVidia GeForce 7800 GT

'Tis a desktop, an Alienware. I have installed the latest patch... but thanks for reminding me, I forgot to re-patch after I re-installed...

Vsync is disabled ingame, not sure about the video card. I haven't downloaded any online cheat apps or speedhacks for any game...

This doesn't happen every time I play though, just about 75%. And even when it doesn't happen, I get that runtime error after 10-20 minutes.
2006-04-03, 4:54 PM #11
wraar
2006-04-03, 5:12 PM #12
Edit: I'm an idiot.
D E A T H
2006-04-03, 7:27 PM #13
My worst bug, which seems to be my only significant one, is that UT2004 kept crashing or giving me blue screens on exit. The solution was a BIOS update. It might help you, saberopus, if your game runs Unreal Technology (the error report had lots of U's :) ).
2006-04-03, 8:33 PM #14
Your computer is too fast. You need to trade with me. :cool:

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Edit: I'm an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Saved for posterity! :p
woot!
2006-04-04, 7:30 AM #15
i've heard of some games having a similar problem with everything speeding up on a dual core CPU...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-04-04, 7:46 AM #16
Start the program, then minimize.

CTRL ALT DEL and find the process for the game in the process list. Right click, and set it's affinity so that it only uses one processor.
2006-04-04, 12:46 PM #17
Remember the good old days, when PCs had Turbo buttons for this sort of thing. I still have one back at my parent's with a Turbo button. That doesn't work so well because I wasn't being careful with the soldering iron. :p
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-04, 1:19 PM #18
its a well known problem with dual core processors, more so with AMD's than Intel's for some reason,

anyways do what Rob said and you should be fine.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-04, 1:21 PM #19
XIII is an awful game.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-04-04, 1:30 PM #20
Google imagecfg. It's a little app that MS threw in an old Win2k toolkit and one of the things it could do was permenantly set the affinity of a process so you don't have to set it every time it's run. I used to use it for VirtualDub when I was encoding DiVX since it didn't like HT processors at the time and trying to multithread severely hindered its performance.
2006-04-04, 2:50 PM #21
XIII is a good looking game with fun moments. It was 10 bucks. I enjoyed it.

Thanks much for the help Rob et. al.

↑ Up to the top!