Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm buying a new computer
I'm buying a new computer
2004-06-15, 12:18 PM #1
Ok, I have 800+ dollars roughly in checks I recieved for graduation. I've decided I'm going to spend whatever I need out of that 800+ dollars for the components, and then put the rest in the bank. So far, It looks as though I need only a little over 600 bucks for components. This is where you guys come in, below is what I intend to purchase (and links if NewEgg will be kind). I'd like it if you guys could help me out a bit and tell me if I've gone wrong somewhere *WITHOUT* turning it into a debate. If I can get the entire bundle somewhere else signifigantly cheaper, tell me. If it's just a few things, don't bother. I'd like to recieve everything at about the same time, which is why I'm ordering everything from one site. Now the list...

Code:
Case:    Aspire Black Turbo Case   32.00
CPU:   AMD Athlon XP 2400+ OEM   67.00
Cooling:   Thermaltake Volcano 9   22.00
Motherboard:   MSI K7N2 Delta-L    66.00
Memory:   Corsair 512MB PC3200    84.00
Hard Drive:   Samsung 120GB    84.00
Video Card:   ATi Radeon 9600XT    169.00
Sound Card:   SoundBlaster Live! 5.1    28.00
CD/DVD ROM:   Sony Black 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive OEM    42.00
Floppy:   NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive OEM    10.00
Modem:   3Net Internal 56K PCI Fax Modem    10.00

TOTAL:   ~614.00

I think all those links should work. It isn't a top of the line system, it isn't supposed to be. It's just supposed to be something signifigantly better than what I own right now that'll let me play some newer games and get work done faster. As for the lack of keyboard, my yearbook teacher gave me a 25 dollar gift card to Best Buy for my awesome graphics work on the book this year. That'll probably be where I get my keyboard, and if enough is left over, a new pair of headphones.

So yea, comments are welcome now. Thanks ahead of time.

[edit] Forgot the total, silly me.
------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited June 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited June 15, 2004).]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 12:22 PM #2
All those drives are OEM (Including the hard drive) which means they will not come with cables.

The motherboard will probably come with one IDE cable but you'll need another one.

[Edit: Actually, you only have 2 drives so you dont need another cable, but having the devices on different IDE channels will give you a small speed bost when using both at the same time]

Other than that, it looks nice.

What about a monitor? You using one you already have? What about a mouse?

You have a 5.1 sound card but no speakers on the list whatsoever? Do you already have some?

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%

[This message has been edited by TheJkWhoSaysNi (edited June 15, 2004).]
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-15, 12:35 PM #3
I've got a slowly dying 21" CRT. The need to replace it is not urgent, and it isn't horridly unbearable.... yet.

For a mouse I have a Mircosoft Wireless Optical 2.0. I love it.

I've got speakers, but those kinda fall along the same lines as the monitor. They aren't dying like the monitor, but they do need to be replaced at some point. The need is not urgent.

Explain the IDE thing to me a bit better. I've got tons laying around (thanks to several deceased PCs), so it isn't a problem, I just want the situation explained better.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 12:42 PM #4
Ah, you're not missing anything then. Theres nothing worse than ordering a PC and realising you've forgotten something.

As for the IDE cables, if you have some lying around you wont need one.

I'm guessing since your motherboard supports ATA133 it will come with an ATA133 IDE cable (Although the site does not list the package contents, motherboards usually come with a few bits and pieces including an IDE Cable). You'll want an ATA133 cable to make the most out of your hard drive (Although i've had ATA133 working perfectly on a ATA100 rated cable before..)

What I was saying about speed is that if you have two devices on one IDE channel then you can loose performance if you're using them both, for example installing a game from the CD to the Hard Drive. Since only so much data can travel down the cable at a time. However, with two cables, you have one IDE channel dedicated to each device which will give you a small performance boot.. not a very big one though and it will only be noticable at certain times for example if you're watching a DVD and copying large files around your hard drive you might see the DVD playback slow down.

Wow, that was longer than I expected, I think I waffled on too long. Oh well.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%

[This message has been edited by TheJkWhoSaysNi (edited June 15, 2004).]
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-15, 2:42 PM #5
According to one of NewEggs pictures, which I only half trust, I should be getting two IDE cable with the motherboard along with the other usual goodies.

No one else has any comments?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 3:04 PM #6
I wouldn't go with all those OEm parts, but meh.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-06-15, 4:09 PM #7
I think you should spend a little more and get a faster CPU. XP 2400 wont cut it for that much longer if you like things looking pretty.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-15, 4:12 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
I wouldn't go with all those OEm parts, but meh.</font>

OEM > Retail. WHo needs the stupid box?

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-15, 4:33 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
OEM > Retail. WHo needs the stupid box?</font>

Retail > OEM. Not just the pretty box, the Warranty too.
2004-06-15, 5:14 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I think you should spend a little more and get a faster CPU. XP 2400 wont cut it for that much longer if you like things looking pretty.

</font>

What would you recommend?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 5:18 PM #11
Get an Intel chip.

Just my Opinion.

Good choice on the Video Card, very solid card.

I happen to have that sound card too, it works like a charm!

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo

[This message has been edited by Trigger Happy Chewie (edited June 15, 2004).]
2004-06-15, 5:39 PM #12
$84 - Athlon XP 2800 333
From pricewatch.

I don't really think you need the Cooling fan, unless the CPU doesn't come with one. I could have sworn my OED Athlon did.. but I don't recall for sure.

Creative Labs - ONLINE ORDER ONLY - - CREATIVE SB LIVE 5.1 (OEM) Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 PCI - Total - $21.95
Pricewatch

Save you a few dollars there.

Mitsumi - ONLINE ORDER ONLY - - MITSUMI 1.44 MB BLACK Total - $6
Pricewatch

ATI - ONLINE ORDER ONLY - - ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP8X TV & DVI-Out (Bulk) Power By ATI Total - $157.75
Pricewatch

Also, all of the pricewatch prices I gave come with shipping built in.

I'd stick with an athlon. Because it's not a top of the line computer, and you're on a serious budget, I think it's what would be best for you.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-06-15, 6:32 PM #13
Thanks Happydud, I think I'll look further into that tomarrow.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 6:59 PM #14
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-363&depa=0 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-06-15, 7:14 PM #15
That's nice and all, but it's about 300 dollars too expensive, thus placing it WAY out of my budget.

Now... If you'd care to buy it for me and then ship it here, I'd be very happy to accept it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-15, 7:46 PM #16
The closer to 3000, the better, IMO.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-15, 9:10 PM #17
OEM chips don't come with heat sinks or fans. Yours came with one probably because you bought a retail box.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-16, 5:56 AM #18
I cannot tell you how highly I reccomend the Athlon Xp 2500+ over the 2400. It is alot faster, and allows for some massive overclocking due to the barton core.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-16, 10:36 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
OEM chips don't come with heat sinks or fans. Yours came with one probably because you bought a retail box.

</font>

No, I got it OEM. I guess I either bought one separately, or 'liberated' one from my dad's office, where I put it together.

FREE THE OPPRESSED FANS!

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-06-16, 3:57 PM #20
Alright, I looked at Priceline. While I can find deals there, I'd be ordering each component from a different provider. That doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I might end up paying a bit more if I go with NewEgg, but I am ordering everything from one place and I should get everything at roughly the same time. I feel better doing that. Thanks all the same.

Someone explain to me briefly the difference between the 2500+ and the 2400+. I'm no expert on processors at all. NewEgg has the 2400+ as 2Ghz while the 2500+ says 1.83Ghz. What's the real deal here? Which one is better? You see, I'd right off head for the one with the higher Ghz, but a person above (sorry, forgot your name and can't see it because this is an edit) is making me think otherwise.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited June 16, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-06-16, 4:31 PM #21
Unlike Intels, AMD processors dont work purely on clockspeed to determain their overal performance.

The Athlon XP 2500 has a lower clockspeed than the 2400 (1.83Ghz compared to 2Ghz), but it outperforms the 2400 due to having double the L2 cache (512kb compared to 256kb). More cache means better gaming performance. The 2400 offers more overclocking potential, but if you're not interested in that or cant be bothered buying extra cooling equipment, go for the 2500.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited June 16, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-16, 5:07 PM #22
Many thanks. Consider me switched to the 2500+ now.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-16, 5:57 PM #23
...Of course the 2600 has the same amount of Cache at a higher frequency (1.9somethingGhz), but it all depends on how much you want to spend [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-16, 10:18 PM #24
Definatly go the 2500+. It runs a different core, with more cache (as stated above) so you will notice the difference. Make sure it's a "Barton" core, it'd be a challenge for it not to be, but hey!

You also have the option to overclock the cpu, as they are very easy to push to 3200+. Shouldn't be any problem with that cooling and hardware setup. Push the FSB to 200MHz, and volia [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[This message has been edited by BuuBox (edited June 17, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!