Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm about to kill someone.
I'm about to kill someone.
2006-04-03, 7:14 PM #1
I swear. I just went through the MOST EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW AND PAINFUL MATH ASSIGNMENT OF MIY LIFE. And it isn't OVER! I just spend 2 hours:

Writing ~20 checks, signing each and every one of them with all the correct stuff, and having to check back in a booklet for each check.

Filling out 5 deposit slips

Completing a checking register that required me to write the SAME STUFF, AGAIN, IN SMALLER BOXES.

Done the math on the checking register.

Checked the math on the checking register.

Filled out a "reconciling the bank" form thingy, only to find out that I screwed some math up and almost punched the computer desk.

Filled out another reconciling the bank form, only to find that even though my math is right (I checked it numerous times) something is coming out WRONG.

I have a raging headache out of frustration and if someone pisses me off any further I am punching him in the gut very, very hard. And I have to do this all again tomorrow night, the night after, and then the night after THAT. I'll be done with it Thursday night.

WRAAAAAA

This is the worst math assignment I have ever had. 2 hours? Insane. Only reason is it's something the bank gave our teacher and she decided it would be "A great learning experience" for us to do this stuff for real. Not part of normal curriculum (sp?).

And now I've vented and feel better.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-03, 7:44 PM #2
MATH!? oh no!???!!!

How will you cope?

I'll inform the president, he'll know what to do!

THIS IS A CRISIS, PEOPLE!!!

:em321:

/me gets punched in the gut
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-03, 7:48 PM #3
If it takes that long, logic says it would be assigned in advance. Should have started earlier, your own fault. If it wasnt assigned in advance, sucks to be you.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-04-03, 7:49 PM #4
2 HOURS, OH MY! You're still alive! Thank goodness!

Bless you child! Bless you for your sorrows!

:rolleyes:

Are you in college? Cause you'll get some devastating projects and assignments in college that will make your eyes bleed.
2006-04-03, 7:53 PM #5
No, not in college, and I realize I'll have harder projects. I was mostly venting because I was pissed off at how monotonous it was (not like some normal assignment where it's a different equasion after the last one, not the same exact thing with a different number), along with how frustrating it was to spend half of that time writing a store name down.

I don't mind writing, as long as it's in English, Composition, or some other class where writing an essay or paragraph is usual, but writing out some 30 store names on checks and deposit slips only to have to do it again in a smaller box pissed me off.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-03, 7:55 PM #6
Crawwwwlllinggg innnnm mmmyyyy skiiii-----

Oh never mind, it was only good the first time
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-03, 8:00 PM #7
This one time, I had to do a math assignment.

Good story.
2006-04-03, 8:02 PM #8
Originally posted by mscbuck:

For shame.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-03, 8:03 PM #9
So uhh, I run checks and crap every day at Best Buy... does this mean I get to make my own emoblog thread?
2006-04-03, 8:05 PM #10
High school is the biggest free ride of your life, lad.

That's what me father always told me. Think about it and let it sink in. Be glad you're still as young as you are. Enjoy these days.
2006-04-03, 8:13 PM #11
Check Cards for the win. Checkbooks really are a waste of time. My mother still tries to get me to fill out my checkbook with check card purchases. I SUCK at math, and have a horrible memory, but for some reason, when it comes to money? I know how much is in my checking account to the dollar.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-03, 11:19 PM #12
You... do realize that you have to write the stuff twice because, well, the cashier takes the check?

Just get checks with carbon copies and you'll be fine.

Or better yet, if you're a lazy ******* like me, just use your check card + internet banking. It's incredibly convenient. It lists all the transactions right there for you.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-03, 11:33 PM #13
[http://www.boomspeed.com/redwingjs/stopwhining.JPG]
Pissed Off?
2006-04-03, 11:36 PM #14
Everyone calls my the biggest ******* here but you guys need to shut the **** up.

Managing your finances can be a pain but stay in the habit. I know whay to many people that are in either a huge amount of debt or got screwed iver by a bank error and had no proof the bank was wrong.
2006-04-03, 11:39 PM #15
That's the thing though. Everyone has to do it. Complaining about it isn't going to garner much sympathy.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-03, 11:53 PM #16
emo.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-04-03, 11:54 PM #17
Or you could use cards and keep track of it online ;)
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-04, 8:18 AM #18
I've had weeks of four hour math assignments every day. That was mostly back in tenth grade, though. I'm taking a non-home school Trig course at a local school that's much easier.
2006-04-04, 8:22 AM #19
You're 12.

IF you hit anyone, they're going to break your puberty fresh arms and legs and shove them up your puberty fresh ***.
2006-04-04, 8:34 AM #20
Originally posted by tofu:
Everyone calls my the biggest ******* here but you guys need to shut the **** up.

Yes. Tofu may be right.

Originally posted by Rob:
You're 12.

No he isn't.
2006-04-04, 8:35 AM #21
No he's not.

Because that poll indicates that I'M the biggest ******* around these parts.
2006-04-04, 8:40 AM #22
I wish I had good recording equipment so I could record a stop being EMO song on the Marine Land tune.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-04, 8:41 AM #23
Originally posted by tofu:

Nope, that's Rob's title.

You're 12.

IF you hit anyone, they're going to break your puberty fresh arms and legs and shove them up your puberty fresh ***.

Case in point.
2006-04-04, 9:26 AM #24
Because that poll indicates that I'M the biggest ******* around these parts.

Good point.
2006-04-04, 9:31 AM #25
Originally posted by mscbuck:

meh
Attachment: 11270/linkinpark.jpg (42,342 bytes)
2006-04-04, 9:44 AM #26
You have no rights to complain about math until you've done stuff like discrete math, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and vector calculus.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-04, 11:41 AM #27
I agree with 'dalf.

Although I don't find those overly taxing or anything.
nope.
2006-04-04, 12:38 PM #28
Dalf is correct.

Also, even though I did all that in a business class in high school some time ago, I never balance my checkbook, ever. I let the bank do it, and check my balance online to make sure I have enough for whatever I need to pay for in the coming month.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-04, 4:20 PM #29
Alright..I looked back at the assignment, and I've got to do it again. I'm not going to ***** about it tonight.

The main problem I had with it last night was: I was given no time in advance to work on this, the teacher had not explained one or two of the things (and wondered how we screwed up so badly), and there was too much writing (in. my. opinion.)

I wouldn't care if a normal math assignment took 2 hours, I enjoy math. I DON'T enjoy spending and hour and 20 minutes writing all the secondary things (not the actual math) out, and then spend less than that amount of time on the math.

I wouldn't be *****ing if I were given a sheet with all the checks and everything written out and told to: Keep a check register (the balance bit, not writing where the charges happened), complete filling out deposit slips (mostly math, unlike checks) and then reconcile the checkbook. I was, however, given 20+ checks to fill out in full, had to fill out a check register in full, fill out 4 deposit slips (not that bad), check my math multiple times, and then reconcile this stuff.

It's all the writing that had me mad, not the math itsself.

And I just lost even more respect points from Massassi. Excuse me while I do my homework.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-04, 4:28 PM #30
THANK YOU SHINTOCK! I've been looking for that picture for months
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-04, 4:35 PM #31
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Alright..I looked back at the assignment, and I've got to do it again. I'm not going to ***** about it tonight.

The main problem I had with it last night was: I was given no time in advance to work on this, the teacher had not explained one or two of the things (and wondered how we screwed up so badly), and there was too much writing (in. my. opinion.)

I wouldn't care if a normal math assignment took 2 hours, I enjoy math. I DON'T enjoy spending and hour and 20 minutes writing all the secondary things (not the actual math) out, and then spend less than that amount of time on the math.

I wouldn't be *****ing if I were given a sheet with all the checks and everything written out and told to: Keep a check register (the balance bit, not writing where the charges happened), complete filling out deposit slips (mostly math, unlike checks) and then reconcile the checkbook. I was, however, given 20+ checks to fill out in full, had to fill out a check register in full, fill out 4 deposit slips (not that bad), check my math multiple times, and then reconcile this stuff.

It's all the writing that had me mad, not the math itsself.

And I just lost even more respect points from Massassi. Excuse me while I do my homework.

Math isn't just scribbling down formulas. Take a look at papers written in math journals. It's about a 50/50 mix of math and text. When you make a paper on a math subject, you have to explain to the reader what all your math scribblings are. No one enjoys doing the tedious work that sometimes involves mathematics. Although you might not come across this but finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix BY HAND is a tedious process. I've spent HOURS on a single math problem. Mathematicans have spent YEARS on a single math problem (Riemann anyone?). Math is not always "quick and dirty"
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-04, 4:46 PM #32
Let your balls drop and grow up.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-04, 5:09 PM #33
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
stuff

I stand humbled and a little wiser, and I admit to having a real pissy attitude.

Now get off my back, if you would (Not directed to JG, but everyone).
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-04, 5:17 PM #34
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Although you might not come across this but finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix BY HAND is a tedious process.

It's better than having to use Crout's...
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)

↑ Up to the top!