Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Video iPod vs Creative Zen Vision
Video iPod vs Creative Zen Vision
2006-04-04, 12:36 PM #1
Video iPod
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7565422&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat63100050014&id=1128989866420

Creative Zen Vision
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7657555&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat63100050014&id=1134700863114

Quick questions.

1) Will one of these be recognized as a removable storage device when I instert it into a machine running Windows XP, so I can store files quickly onto it withut installing software on every PC i want to extract files from? My 2gb flash drive broke, and I want to use one of these as a replacement.

2) Can I easily put my DVDs on one of these players? If not the DVD menus and such, just the video?

3) How is the overall quality of the player itself?

EDIT: I just read that the Creative has 4 hours on video playback while the iPod only has 2. This is definitley one of the reasons, I'm leaning towards the Creative, but wanted to check here first.

EDIT: Just also saw the Creative can play MORE video formats, such as DivX and xVid. It also has an FM tuner. I really want one, but removable storage is a must.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-04, 12:37 PM #2
1) I know you can with the iPod.

2) I think that the iPod only uses the M4P format of video.

3) Dunno.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-04, 1:05 PM #3
1) Ipod - Yes
Zen - Yes

2) You should easily be able to rip the movies to either of the players, you'll have to encode the movie to one of the formats the players support but (I'm guessing) the software to do that comes with them. (I have itunes myself but can't see the option, might be as I don't have a video ipod...)

3) Dunno, read some reviews.

As for comparison purposes (formats, size, battery life, etc..)

Creative Zen

Ipod

tells you all you need to know.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-04, 1:16 PM #4
i always thought that ipods had to use itunes to insert/remove anything
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-04, 1:25 PM #5
Originally posted by 7:
i always thought that ipods had to use itunes to insert/remove anything

Just for you to listen or view on your iPod. However, you can store files on it, by copying and pasting them to your device directory, just like the Creative.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-04, 1:29 PM #6
Creative Zen has better quality in playback, but I love iRiver (non video).
2006-04-04, 1:40 PM #7
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
Video iPod
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7565422&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat63100050014&id=1128989866420

Creative Zen Vision
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7657555&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat63100050014&id=1134700863114

Quick questions.

1) Will one of these be recognized as a removable storage device when I instert it into a machine running Windows XP, so I can store files quickly onto it withut installing software on every PC i want to extract files from? My 2gb flash drive broke, and I want to use one of these as a replacement.

2) Can I easily put my DVDs on one of these players? If not the DVD menus and such, just the video?

3) How is the overall quality of the player itself?

EDIT: I just read that the Creative has 4 hours on video playback while the iPod only has 2. This is definitley one of the reasons, I'm leaning towards the Creative, but wanted to check here first.

EDIT: Just also saw the Creative can play MORE video formats, such as DivX and xVid. It also has an FM tuner. I really want one, but removable storage is a must.

1) Yes, for non-media files
2) No. It'll take a lot of work with encoders, ripping, etc. It will not be easy. Hell, to be honest, pirating the movies is easier than ripping them. Kind of makes me disappointed in the the industry's solutions to said problem (or lack thereof).
3) Not that great.

If you're going for a portable media center, these are not it. These two devices are not really meant for long-term video watching, or even short term, especially considering the bad quality of the player, etc. They're meant to play music first and foremost.

For PMP's, look into Archos and iRiver--they both have some really good ones out. The ones with big screens. Even the PSP works better as a video player (trust me, I've tried both, the PSP destroys the iPod Video. Dunno about the Zen Vision, but I can't imagine it being better). A lot of PMP's play more video and audio formats than these two players combined. And are usually easier to use.

To be honest, I suggest getting a USB thumbdrive MP3 player (iAudio makes GREAT ones of these), and a PMP. You seem to have money to burn as is.
D E A T H
2006-04-04, 2:29 PM #8
The PSP does make an EXCELLENT video player :D

And there is a homebrew program out (although it's still being optimized at the moment, give it a month) that allows you to stream videos from your PC :D It's pretty sweet, and I can't wait till it's up to full speed.
2006-04-04, 2:31 PM #9
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]The PSP does make an EXCELLENT video player :D

And there is a homebrew program out (although it's still being optimized at the moment, give it a month) that allows you to stream videos from your PC :D It's pretty sweet, and I can't wait till it's up to full speed.[/QUOTE]
But it still sucks as far as on the go, with memory sticks so expensive (special sales not withstanding). It's nice to have the functionality, but it's definitely not something I'd say buy the PSP for. Not to mention...it's rather quiet.
D E A T H
2006-04-04, 4:51 PM #10
You can store Media files (music / photos/ video) as well as data files (photoshop / word documents / other) on the ipod as a removeable device, however you wont be able to access them while just using the ipod.

You can get programs such as Anapod explorer that let you browse through all directories of your ipod.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-04, 5:09 PM #11
iAudio X5L is superior.

10-15 hours of video playback, 30 gb, not QUITE as big of a screen or high resolution, but you can do drag and drop with any file, and the music will play on your player. Only plays avi format, but makes up for that with more audio formats. I have three DVDs ripped to mine that took about an hour and a half to do each, and I just clicked three buttons and walked away while it did it. I used iriverter.

It's made out of mostly aluminum and is a motha ****ing tank!

iAudio x5L > All current generation players in the same class

Only con, really, is a smaller screen, but I find it sufficient to watch batman pron. I mean, batman on.

Movies I have

The Notebook
V for Vendetta (>_> <_<)
Batman Begins
Fretboard Logic (guitar instrutional video)
Singer's Toolbox (singing warmups)
Zen of Screaming (screaming warmups)

all fairly clear, excellent sound quality, and no stuttering. Downside is a max FPS of 15 FPS, but the refresh rate of the screen makes it look pretty smooth.

I wuvs it.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!