Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 1:02:03 AM, April 5th 2006
1:02:03 AM, April 5th 2006
2006-04-04, 8:58 PM #41
Originally posted by Freelancer:
That's right. Mind-reading isn't my strong suit.

How about this, then.

Without any biases, such as familiarity, which system makes more sense?

With no biases, MM/DD/YYYY makes more sense.

Why?

The maximum number MM can reach is 12.

The maximum number DD can reach is 31

The maximum number YYYY can reach is infinite (there would be more Y's of course).

It makes mathematical sense to put it in an order where the maximum possibility increases.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-04-04, 10:02 PM #42
Alright, let the countdown begin....

HAPPY INSIGNIFICANT TEMPORAL EVENT!
Stuff
2006-04-04, 10:36 PM #43
ZOMG I LOOKED AT MY CLOCK AND IT WAS 1:23
CRAZY
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-04, 11:27 PM #44
HOLY****N IT'S LIKE 2:26 RIGHT NOW DAMNNNN
2006-04-04, 11:49 PM #45
[http://defiantbob.dyndns.org/blog/images/12345-small.jpg]
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2006-04-05, 5:20 AM #46
Originally posted by Aaron:
[http://defiantbob.dyndns.org/blog/images/12345-small.jpg]

*looks at background*

Well we know why you were up that late :p
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-04-05, 6:42 AM #47
TANGENT!

I've never liked the explanation for our use of base 10 of "10 is how many fingers we have". It seems to me like you'd come up with that system when you make some sort of mark after you count all your fingers. But on your fingers you can count up to ten before you need another place, whereas in decimal you can only count up to nine before you need another place. We should use base 11!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-05, 8:14 AM #48
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
TANGENT!

I've never liked the explanation for our use of base 10 of "10 is how many fingers we have". It seems to me like you'd come up with that system when you make some sort of mark after you count all your fingers. But on your fingers you can count up to ten before you need another place, whereas in decimal you can only count up to nine before you need another place. We should use base 11!

Heh, sounds a lot like what I wrote .

Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Are you the only one in the world who uses that format? I've never even heard of it.

Yeah, before enlisting I wouldn't have thought to use this format. But after using it, I like it better. As GBK pointed out, it's easy to use. Also, it's not about putting the smaller numbers first. Where does that make sense?

Think of it like you're counting days. When you increase your count by one, wouldn't you expect to add one to the last digit in a number instead of the first? For example 0/0/1 instead of 1/0/0. Days should be last because they are the least valuable unit of time.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-04-05, 8:27 AM #49
I use DD.MM.YY, because when I look at the date I usually know what month or year it is so the only relevant number is the one at the beginning.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-05, 8:55 AM #50
Originally posted by Impi:
I use DD.MM.YY, because when I look at the date I usually know what month or year it is so the only relevant number is the one at the beginning.

precisely. That's why it's so much better.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-05, 10:50 AM #51
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
TANGENT!

Actually, by this logic, it would make a lot more sense to use base 6. One hand counts 1's, the other counts 6's. That way, you can count up to 35 just on your fingers.
2006-04-05, 11:02 AM #52
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
How?

DD/MM/YYYY is ordered from smallest to largest. MM/DD/YYYY is completley illogical. YYYY/MM/DD is better than MM/DD/YYYY if you insist in putting the month before the day but when looking at a date, the year is often the least important part. (Usually when the year is the most important part, only the year is used anyway.) So DD/MM/YYYY is the most sensible format.

Fifth of April.

Month, day, year makes more sense.

The day is irrelevant if you don't know what month it is, which is why the month comes first.

Say you're planning things a few months ahead, and you're looking for a specific day on the calender, do you count individual days untill you get to the one you want?

No.

You go by the month, and then the day.

I suppose the same would go for the year. But it's not often I have a new calender for the new year before December.
2006-04-05, 1:24 PM #53
Originally posted by Vornskr:
Actually, by this logic, it would make a lot more sense to use base 6. One hand counts 1's, the other counts 6's. That way, you can count up to 35 just on your fingers.

Pft, if you use binary, you can count up to 1023 on your fingers.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-05, 2:13 PM #54
precisely. That's why it's so much better.

Nothing's BETTER though. You've yet to prove that any one format is better than another. You've just asked me to disprove your little theory--and I have.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:15 PM #55
more convenient = better.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-05, 2:19 PM #56
The Euro system is LESS convenient for me. So it is worse.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-04-05, 2:25 PM #57
more convenient = better.

More convenient can be defined different ways. Not only that, but it doesn't = better. It's such a stupid, trivial thing to learn that it takes next to no time to get it down pat. That's like saying lifting a .01 ounce weight is more convenient than pulling a .01 ounce weight. Either way, who cares?
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:26 PM #58
It's fairly obvious I do.
2006-04-05, 2:28 PM #59
Quote:
The human brain processes 10s faster than it does 1/2, 1/4, 1/16

Unless you are a computer programmer. Powers of ten confuse me. I count by powers of two.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-04-05, 2:29 PM #60
Also, Space_Bandit...

STOP QUOTING IMAGES.

Omg, it's annoying. And in the post RIGHT UNDER THE IMAGE!
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-04-05, 2:30 PM #61
It's fairly obvious I do.

Then it's farily obvious you're an idiot who sweats the small stuff way, way, way too much.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:32 PM #62
And it's fairly obvious you're an apathetic bum who fails at the big stuff because he doesn't pay attention to details. Serrrrrioussly.
2006-04-05, 2:50 PM #63
And it's fairly obvious you're an apathetic bum who fails at the big stuff because he doesn't pay attention to details. Serrrrrioussly.

You caught me.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:55 PM #64
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Pfft. Do you say "Fifth April", or "April Fifth"?

Vijf April
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-05, 5:14 PM #65
Yay. I watched it happen today at 1:02:03 PM
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-05, 5:39 PM #66
Heh, I suppose I should have seen the datestamp format argument coming. Ah well.

Just so you guys know, I'm Canadian, so I go DD/MM/YY usually... so I fully intend to repost this thread on May 4th.
Stuff
2006-04-05, 7:12 PM #67
Originally posted by Shintock:
Damnit, I was going to post this.

:(

Canucks lose again lawlz

↑ Up to the top!