Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hot glue solvents?
Hot glue solvents?
2004-06-16, 6:37 PM #1
So I figured I'd use hot glue to hold the fins in place while machining my heatshink for a waterblock. Afterall, hot glue gets pretty brittle and doesn't stick well to metal, right? Apparently not. I can't get the crap out! I tried some brake cleaner, which has only softened it. I tried freezing it, it didn't make it brittle like I had hoped. I can't use a heat gun or a torch to melt it off because the solder that holds the fins on will start to melt. So do you guys know of anything that can break apart hot glue?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-16, 6:57 PM #2
Next time use low heat glue. And actually, I've never known hot glue to get brittle. Hot glue sticks are flexible, or at least the ones I've used.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited June 16, 2004).]
2004-06-16, 7:01 PM #3
Well old glue has gotten brittle on me, especially in the cold. I probably should have used some crap like Elmer's glue or something that comes off really easily with a few chemicals.

------------------
2004-06-16, 7:07 PM #4
You're pretty much screwed. Hot glue is flexible and is tough as hell to get off.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-16, 7:48 PM #5
Put it in the freezer? Try paint thinner? Lacking anything else, break out a pocket knife and cut/scrape it off.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-16, 8:40 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Put it in the freezer? Try paint thinner? Lacking anything else, break out a pocket knife and cut/scrape it off.

</font>

if you're lucky, you will be able to scrape it off, but at worst, it will just stretch like taffy and not really come off.

Paint thinner only works on oil-based stuff. I'm not sure what's in hot glue, but if it's not oil-based, paint thinner will do absolutely nothing other than make it slightly more flammable.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-16, 8:49 PM #7
when i saw the thread title i was like "oh no emon done glued himself to himself"

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-16, 10:28 PM #8
Hot glue is just pretty regular plastic, plus some additional substance for enhanced tackiness.

Plastics are often very resistant to all kinds of chemicals. You might have some success with solvents such as Chloroform, Isooctane, Heptane, Cyclohexane, Ethylbenzene, Dioctyl phthalate, Toluene, Methyl ethyl ketone... etc...

However, since we don't know the composition of your glue, it's totally impossible to say if any of the solutions above would have any effect on it. And most probably you wouldn't use those liquids anyway, would you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-06-17, 3:15 AM #9
when you start to scrape it up, use something extremly sharp (exacto knife) and slide it along the metal, if your luckey it should come off in one big chunk.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-06-17, 4:09 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lassev:
you wouldn't use those liquids anyway, would you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]</font>

I think you underestimate my chemical inventory...

------------------
2004-06-17, 5:15 AM #11
Rubbing alcohol? Kerosene? They're both pretty potent solvants.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-17, 5:20 AM #12
1) Take heatsink/glue blob outside.
2) Acquire at least 10 M80s.
3) Ducktape said M80s to side of heatsink/glue blob.
4) Light said M80s.
5) Run.
6) ???
7) Profit!!!

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-17, 5:22 AM #13
You can't just leave it there?

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-06-17, 5:40 AM #14
put the oven on low tempterature and let it melt off for a couple hours?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-06-17, 5:46 AM #15
I'd rather not have hot glue clogging up my pump, thank you.

------------------
2004-06-17, 6:02 AM #16
I'm assuming you're aware of the hazards of using any sort of organic solvents since you seem to have them in stock as it were; so I'd probably say that'd be your best bet.
2004-06-17, 9:55 AM #17
I got it off finally. I picked at it for a long time and got most of the large parts out, and after a few applications of break cleaner, the residual plastic softened up and slid out easier. Probably just like what happened to my lungs, too. :/

Thanks for the ideas though.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!