Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kurt Cobain!
Kurt Cobain!
2006-04-06, 5:18 AM #1
I know I'm posting this a day late, but I forgot:

Yesterday (April 5) was the 12th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death! :(

*cross* May he rest in peace. Any Nirvana fans out there?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-04-06, 5:52 AM #2
I'm a fan. April 4th's also considered the day, since they found the body days later and placed the time of death.

Layne Staley of Alice in Chains died a few years back on April 5th.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-04-06, 7:40 AM #3
Nirvana had one great album, and the rest was "meh, okay". It's sad that he died, but people need to (not saying that you are at all) stop worshiping as some kind of music god.
2006-04-06, 7:46 AM #4
Originally posted by SiliconC:
Nirvana had one great album, and the rest was "meh, okay". It's sad that he died, but people need to (not saying that you are at all) stop worshiping as some kind of music god.

That's what I've been thinking too.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-06, 8:31 AM #5
Yeah I don't get the "Courtney did it" kinda fans, but I like Nirvana a lot.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-04-06, 8:45 AM #6
massive nirvana fan here, dont really care for marking his death every year, he's still dead no matter what and the music is mint but i cannot be arsed with mourning for the loss.

and courtney might have done it, i still wouldnt care either way.

at least we have the other stuff now

*strokes box set*
2006-04-06, 8:46 AM #7
Nirvana sucks.

I wish he had killed Courtney instead of himself, though.

FREE FRANCES BEAN!
2006-04-06, 8:48 AM #8
Who the flock is Frances Bean?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-06, 8:55 AM #9
his daughter
2006-04-06, 9:00 AM #10
I want to go to that park outside where he lived, and beat up every 14 year old there.

Then deface that bench that all his fans sign, by painting over it.
2006-04-06, 9:02 AM #11
Don't care that much for Nirvana.

sure they did help revolutionize rock music, and his death is sad. But I don't think they deserve the amout of media they got, and still have. I don't think Cobain should rest at the same level in rock and roll history as say Elvis or John Lennon, or to a lesser extent Ozzie. I honestly don't think he would be up their if he didn't kill himself.

part of me wants to agree that it is very sad, and another part wants to ask: "why are we still making THIS big a deal about it 12 years later?"

oh well,

so no, not a big nervana fan.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-06, 9:03 AM #12
Nirvana wasn't doing anything other bands from Seatle at the time weren't also doing.

They just happened to get famous for it first.
2006-04-06, 10:06 AM #13
Nirvana is undeniably one of my musical roots. I can't believe it's 12 years... I remember the day itself as if it were only a couple of years ago....

I'm getting old. lol
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-04-06, 10:12 AM #14
Nah, not a Nirvana fan, Kurt Cobain was quite a good guy though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-06, 10:15 AM #15
i remember when that news hit. i laughed at some of my friends that cried. granted, i really like nirvana, but it's not like i knew the guy. i'm somewhat torn over the recently-released material. i like hearing the "new" music, but i don't like the fact that courtney love is exploiting kurt's death.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-04-06, 10:16 AM #16
Quote:
sure they did help revolutionize rock music,

not really for good though, Look at the bands that nirvana influenced, you get a bunch of radio rock, MTV, crap.

I will say that I used to be a major nirvana fan (back in middle school and a tiny bit of high school) until I discovered better music.

Since my "departure" as a nirvana fan, I've realized that nirvana is quite overrated.

What did they do for music?
2006-04-06, 10:19 AM #17
I bet most of you aren't really even ofl enough to remember when that happened.

Which is another thing that pisses me off.

The man died when I was in SECOND GRADE. And the only reason I REMEMBER is because the middleschool and the elementary school were in the same building.
2006-04-06, 10:27 AM #18
i cant even remember it, i was 8.
2006-04-06, 10:28 AM #19
I know, seriously.
2006-04-06, 10:31 AM #20
I remember it and I was only nine years old at the time.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-04-06, 11:52 AM #21
Not a Nirvana fan, and I've pretty much hated what I've heard.

In other news though, didn't Courtney flog the rights to most of their tracks for a couple of cool million recently?
nope.
2006-04-06, 12:50 PM #22
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]

Layne Staley of Alice in Chains died a few years back on April 5th.[/QUOTE]

Actually it was April 20th.

Eddie Vedder wrote a song about it called "4/20/02".

It's terrible.
former entrepreneur
2006-04-06, 1:04 PM #23
Quote:
Eddie Vedder wrote a song about it called "4/20/02".

It's terrible.

Eddie Vedder is a horrible song writer/singer. I'd rather listen to the sound of someone throwing up than Pearl Jam
2006-04-06, 1:23 PM #24
A while back one of my friends was looking at ticket vendors online and said to herself 'why hasn't there been a nirvana tour in a while?' >.<
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-06, 1:33 PM #25
i was talking about that the other day, what with alice in chains playing download this year.

imagine nirvana

chad channing on drums
novoselik on bass
ghroll singing and guitaring.

silliness.

i think cantrell is singing for alice in chains, not sure
2006-04-06, 1:57 PM #26
there was an interview I read near the end of Cobains death. He said he had recorded guitar parts on a tape recorder for in Utero and had them in the shower in their hotel room. After the people above them had plumming problems, the tapes were destroyed. With the exception of a few songs, Curt came up with brand new stuff, just before recording the few songs he had remembered. Most of In Utero is stuff he came up with off the top of his head.

Not to mention, he said numerous times that he wanted to "push away" his fans with that album. He didnt want to be famous anymore. Just imagine if he had really tried to impress everyone with that album, or if the demos werent destroyed...
2006-04-06, 2:03 PM #27
guess he failed then, since in utero is my favourite nirvana cd
2006-04-06, 3:58 PM #28
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
What did they do for music?

just like you said: look at rock music in the 80's (pre Nirvana) and then post Nirvana. It's a very sad contrast. I was trying to be nice since this thread was about him dieing and all. but you make the point I wanted to make in the first place.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-06, 4:01 PM #29
Not exactly.... he wanted to get away from the mainstream MTV kid crowds and get back to the old underground scene he was originally writing his material for. You know, playing in small venues is more fun.

He was just trying let the band sound less poppy. Hence the Albini production. And hence Albini's anger when Geffen decided the material didn't sound good enough and that it should be remixed.

I'm well old enough to remember all of that. I was as young as some of you are now when that happened. In fact I had been playing in several bands already. Not that it matters.
2006-04-06, 4:10 PM #30
Ok, so twelve years ago a rockstar killed himself. If he was so miserable that he committed suicide, why even think about remembering the day he died.

I think two Nirvana albums are ok, but the rest are painful to listen to. Seriously, why don't we pick a great band's frontman to recognize. I didn't see any Bon Scott thread on February 19th.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-04-06, 4:17 PM #31
Originally posted by Centrist:
I didn't see any Bon Scott thread on February 19th.

lol! I'm all for it, haha.

Ronald Belford Scott, may you rest in Peace.

Besides, Kurt was just as great. It's all a matter of taste.
2006-04-06, 4:38 PM #32
Quote:
It's all a matter of taste.

True, so I guess if you're into whatever they put on the radio on NuMetal/Clearchannel radio stations then Nirvana did alot for music for you.
2006-04-06, 5:39 PM #33
Not really. I like none of those bands, yet I recognize Cobain as an incredible singer/songwriter nonetheless.

And also, don't forget that Nirvana told people to ignore all the mainstream crap and go listen to legendary bands like The Jesus Lizard, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., etc. They were the advocates of the underground. Through Nirvana I got into loads of underground/indie rock (which at that time was really hard to access without internet - especially overseas) I didn't know about those bands before Nirvana came along.

Believe me, after a decade of crappy 80's electrodiscopop and horrible squealing glamrock bands like Guns n' Roses, Extreme and all that crap, Nirvana was FRESH and ROCKING.
2006-04-06, 8:01 PM #34
Spe - Cantrell is singing for Alice In Chains, I'm pretty sure.

I remember Cobain's death, I was in 6th grade, I had all their albums. I even had Bleach, copied to tape off of my friend's sister's disc before Nevermind came out. Awesome stuff.
2006-04-06, 8:57 PM #35
I don't remember the day he died (I was 12), but I do vividly recall hearing about Tupac's death. We were in photography class messing with pinhole cameras, laughing at the photos one student had taken of himself naked, and someone came in late and told us.

I like some of Nirvana's music, some is just meh.
2006-04-06, 9:39 PM #36
Wait, a kid took a picture of himself naked and brought it to class?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-06, 9:40 PM #37
Wow, that's newsworthy.
2006-04-06, 10:18 PM #38
Quote:
Believe me, after a decade of crappy 80's electrodiscopop and horrible squealing glamrock bands like Guns n' Roses, Extreme and all that crap, Nirvana was FRESH and ROCKING.

the 80s were quite rich with underground music actually (that waws when Hardcore first started getting pretty big for instance)

Nirvana just happened to be a mainstream band that advocated listening to underground music, yet they played a show that had a million people i believe. (Rio) I could be wrong about a million but it was alot of damn people
2006-04-06, 11:48 PM #39
the 80s were quite rich with underground music actually (that waws when Hardcore first started getting pretty big for instance)

Well yeah, but by the time Nirvana came along metal and hardcore were both widely considered extremely 'wrong', masculine and outdated.

Nirvana just happened to be a mainstream band that advocated listening to underground music, yet they played a show that had a million people i believe. (Rio) I could be wrong about a million but it was alot of damn people

Well yes, because they accidentally got rocketed into stardom and were bound by certain obligations to their record company. All they wanted was just a better distribution, which is why they switched from Subpop to Geffen in the first place. They wanted the same good distribution deal Sonic Youth had gotten. They were NOT a mainstream band, they never wanted to be one either.

In fact the band themselves even loathed the Nevermind production BEFORE they got famous, because it was too poppy. All of that is described in detail in the 'Come as You Are' biography.
2006-04-07, 3:29 AM #40
Nirvana was my favorite band when I was a teenager (early to mid 90's). Now I can barely stand the sound of their music and think that Kurt Cobain was one of the most negative influences for America's youth in the past 20 years. The lyrics are unintelligible and Cobain's vocals are an irritating combination of smoker meets whiner. However, it's always sad when someone blows their brains out, and I should hold back further criticism for another day.

↑ Up to the top!