Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iTunes equalizer...eff
iTunes equalizer...eff
2006-04-06, 10:07 PM #1
So I have been trying for months to get my speakers to sound good for rock music using the iTunes equalizer. I have also tried something called "Volume Logic." I have tried every setting and tried tweaking it in every way, it never seems to sound good though.

I have a Denon reciever with Mission speakers (5 in. wide by 9 in. tall), and I just cant get them to encorporate all aspects of my music (guitar, drums, vocals, bass). I have also tried all of the equalizer settings and combinations on the reciever itself.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

What settings do you iTunes rock listeners out there use?
2006-04-06, 10:25 PM #2
tried your sound card options?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-06, 10:41 PM #3
Originally posted by 7:

mac
2006-04-06, 10:58 PM #4
[QUOTE=Unknown User]
Originally posted by 7:

mac[/QUOTE]

heehee
2006-04-07, 6:59 AM #5
I think the only person who can help you, then, is Anakin-Paul.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-07, 11:06 AM #6
I just use the same setup WinAmp uses for max bass max treble, and everything ends up sounding pretty good.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 4:46 PM #7
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I just use the same setup WinAmp uses for max bass max treble, and everything ends up sounding pretty good.[/QUOTE]

LOL, if that sounds good, you either have ****ty, boomy speakers, or you don't know what "good" sounds like.

Zoso - a rule of thumb when using EQ: never boost, only cut. And if you cut more than 6 dB without getting rid of the problem, you're cutting the wrong frequency.

Systematic way of finding troublesome frequencies: concentrate on something in the sound that bugs you. Start boosting frequencies one by one, reseting them back to zero when you're done. When you find the frequency, the problem will stick out even more (since you boosted it), so then set the EQ for that freq. at -3 dB. Do the same for everything you hear that doesn't sound right.

Once you cut all the crap out doing this, you'll find that your music that sounded like it needed a bass boost in the beginning never even needed one at all - all the other crap just got in the way.
2006-04-07, 4:51 PM #8
Originally posted by Shintock:
LOL, if that sounds good, you either have ****ty, boomy speakers, or you don't know what "good" sounds like.

Zoso - a rule of thumb when using EQ: never boost, only cut. And if you cut more than 6 dB without getting rid of the problem, you're cutting the wrong frequency.

Systematic way of finding troublesome frequencies: concentrate on something in the sound that bugs you. Start boosting frequencies one by one, reseting them back to zero when you're done. When you find the frequency, the problem will stick out even more (since you boosted it), so then set the EQ for that freq. at -3 dB. Do the same for everything you hear that doesn't sound right.

Once you cut all the crap out doing this, you'll find that your music that sounded like it needed a bass boost in the beginning never even needed one at all - all the other crap just got in the way.

Gotta love ****ed up posts.

Anyways...

Translation: "HEY I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU WHAT YOU THINK SOUNDS GOOD AND IF YOU THINK IT SOUNDS GOOD UR AN IDIOT LOL WTF OMG KTHX"

I toyed with it a bit, and by default the output for iBooks and, well, most mac products is crap. You have to toy with it in order to get what you want. But I'm glad you're oh-so-much better than me Shintock. Maybe I should bow down to you and proclaim you the almighty god of sound. Will my lord be satisfied then?
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 4:53 PM #9
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]
Translation: "HEY I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU WHAT YOU THINK SOUNDS GOOD AND IF YOU THINK IT SOUNDS GOOD UR AN IDIOT LOL WTF OMG KTHX"[/QUOTE]

Hey, I do. What's your point?
2006-04-07, 4:53 PM #10
Hey, I do. What's your point?

No, you don't. This is about what sounds good...which is subjective. It's like saying I know that Christianity is a better religion than Buddhism.

Listen, Shin, I have absolutely nothing against you, but when you tell me that I don't know what I like, and that you know better than me as far as that goes, it irks me a little bit. I don't know why you decided to come out and be an ******* instead of simply posting "Well, technically, you could get a better sound from lowering instead of upping the sliders," or however you would put it. Then proceed to give advice. I told him what I think sounds good. You, being an ******* and audiophile ******* (like pretty much every audiophile I know) decided to be a dick about it.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 4:58 PM #11
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]No, you don't. This is about what sounds good...which is subjective. [/QUOTE]

Subjective to an untrained ear.

It's amazing how many people will do the "V" shape EQ until someone else makes it sound good for them. The main reason people do this is because it makes everything seem louder, and to the human ear (untrained or not), louder sounds better. But if you cut out the troublesome frequencies (caused usually by crummy speakers or bad acoustics) and just turn up the volume, everything will sound much better.

Boosting with an EQ is never good practice anyways. You're just introducing distortion into your sound in most cases.

And it's just like the beginner guitarist who sets the distortion channel on his amp with the gain dimed, the bass and treble dimed and the mids on 0. They think it sounds awesome until someone tweaks their amp for them, and then they never go back.
2006-04-07, 5:00 PM #12
Subjective to an untrained ear.

It's amazing how many people will do the "V" shape EQ until someone else makes it sound good for them. The main reason people do this is because it makes everything seem louder, and to the human ear (untrained or not), louder sounds better. But if you cut out the troublesome frequencies (caused usually by crummy speakers or bad acoustics) and just turn up the volume, everything will sound much better.

Boosting with an EQ is never good practice anyways. You're just introducing distortion into your sound in most cases.

And it's just like the beginner guitarist who sets the distortion channel on his amp with the gain dimed, the bass and treble dimed and the mids on 0. They think it sounds awesome until someone tweaks their amp for them, and then they never go back.

No, sound is subjective period. And technically, if anything, it's more of an elongated N or M. Only much more subtle.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:03 PM #13
:rolleyes:
2006-04-07, 5:04 PM #14
Thanks for reading my post and having such an intelligent and friendly answer to it.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:05 PM #15
I dunno, for rock music I find the rock EQ preset pretty good...
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-04-07, 5:09 PM #16
I especially like how you editted your post up there after I posted mine. gg.

Listen, no matter how I would have said it, you wouldn't have listened anyway, cause you're like that. Might as well be blunt about it than trying to be all nice and friendly.

And I'm no where near an audiophile. Emon's somewhat of an audiophile, I'm not. I don't have $5000 speakers and a homemade tube amp to drive them (sorry about the amp, Emon, don't be offended :p). If you actually just tried what I said instead of being all "I know what sounds good to me, only my opinion matters cuz good sound is subjective, so STFU," you might actually see that I'm right.

Just sayin'.
2006-04-07, 5:11 PM #17
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]I dunno, for rock music I find the rock EQ preset pretty good...[/QUOTE]

That's the damned V-pattern again. :p
2006-04-07, 5:14 PM #18
I especially like how you editted your post up there after I posted mine. gg.

Listen, no matter how I would have said it, you wouldn't have listened anyway, cause you're like that. Might as well be blunt about it than trying to be all nice and friendly.

And I'm no where near an audiophile. Emon's somewhat of an audiophile, I'm not. I don't have $5000 speakers and a homemade tube amp to drive them (sorry about the amp, Emon, don't be offended :p). If you actually just tried what I said instead of being all "I know what sounds good to me, only my opinion matters cuz good sound is subjective, so STFU," you might actually see that I'm right.

Just sayin'.

I didn't edit it after you made yours. I edited it WHILE you made yours. I realized I came off as crass, and I decided to make the situation clear. I was offended at how you treated me. Realize the posts couldn't have been more than a minute apart--that's much to short for me to make that big of an edit. We've always been on fairly good terms, and I have no reason to ruin that.

And you ARE an audiophile--to an extent. You're not a stupid one, you know that good sound isn't always expensive. In fact, you may be surprised to know that Emon isn't that bad either. And I WOULD have listened to you. Also realize that when you call someone an idiot, they tend to shut down to any and all suggestions. I wasn't saying you're wrong that maybe that sounds better, I'm just saying that what I listen to sounds GOOD. To me. Maybe I'm uninformed, okay, neat. But that's how it comes off to me.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:17 PM #19
All I know is, I bought my Logitech Z-5500's, and now none of my 128kbps MP3s sound good anymore. Damnit.

But damn, the speakers are sexay.
2006-04-07, 5:21 PM #20
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Also realize that when you call someone an idiot, they tend to shut down to any and all suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Big words for someone who doesn't really seem to hesitate before throwing that word around.

Look, I didn't mean to piss you off, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all either. I just actually happen to know what I'm talking about for once. If I took the time to give advice, it wasn't to belittle you or anyone, it was to actually help. If you knew me at all, you'd know that.

The internet sucks.
2006-04-07, 5:23 PM #21
Big words for someone who doesn't really seem to hesitate before throwing that word around.

Look, I didn't mean to piss you off, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all either. I just actually happen to know what I'm talking about for once. If I took the time to give advice, it wasn't to belittle you or anyone, it was to actually help. If you knew me at all, you'd know that.

The internet sucks.

I know I don't, but you have to admit--usually when I call someone an idiot, you agree :p

And I know you were helping by giving advice. But that doesn't change the other comments you made. Thanks for the apology though.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:23 PM #22
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]All I know is, I bought my Logitech Z-5500's, and now none of my 128kbps MP3s sound good anymore. Damnit.

But damn, the speakers are sexay.[/QUOTE]

You can actually hear the crappiness of 128kbps MP3 now? You must've had some pretty bad speakers before. :p
2006-04-07, 5:41 PM #23
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]All I know is, I bought my Logitech Z-5500's, and now none of my 128kbps MP3s sound good anymore. Damnit.

But damn, the speakers are sexay.[/QUOTE]I know the feeling, I recently got a set of Logitech Z-2300's and things sound so much better, although I could always tell 128kbps was crappy before, it's so much worse now, also for the first time I've had to lower the bass to ~1/3 of max because otherwise it's just too much.

Also I can't see this thread lasting much longer if Shintock & Yoshi continue as they have for the past 13 post's, seriously guys, agree to dis-agree neither of you will ever admit defeat.

I can't honestly help out in the EQ settings front as I rarely mess about with it but what Shintock said seems to be the logical course of action, as to whether it'll work...try let us know the results as I'm interested myself.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-07, 5:44 PM #24
[QUOTE=James Bond]I know the feeling, I recently got a set of Logitech Z-2300's and things sound so much better, although I could always tell 128kbps was crappy before, it's so much worse now, also for the first time I've had to lower the bass to ~1/3 of max because otherwise it's just too much.

Also I can't see this thread lasting much longer if Shintock & Yoshi continue as they have for the past 13 post's, seriously guys, agree to dis-agree neither of you will ever admit defeat.

I can't honestly help out in the EQ settings front as I rarely mess about with it but what Shintock said seems to be the logical course of action, as to whether it'll work...try let us know the results as I'm interested myself.[/QUOTE]
We kinda quit there James :p
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:47 PM #25
yeah, the fighting is over.

CAUSE FIGHTING OVER THE INTERNET IS LIKE THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS. EVEN IF YOU WIN YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A ****IN RETARD.

ok i'm drunk lol
2006-04-07, 5:49 PM #26
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]We kinda quit there James :p[/QUOTE]that'll teach me to skip the last few posts :rolleyes: ...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-07, 7:22 PM #27
Wow, what a terrible terrible thread
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

↑ Up to the top!