Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Not sure if this has been posted yet, but...
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but...
2006-04-07, 11:41 AM #1
Dell bought Alienware.
Evidence!
2006-04-07, 12:45 PM #2
we're still not going to be able to afford one. those that do will just get it faster.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-07, 12:49 PM #3
For the rich dumb kids, who can't build their own. But don't they just buy Xbox's anyway? No wonder it got bought out.
2006-04-07, 12:51 PM #4
This was already talked about in the Dell Renegade thread.
2006-04-07, 12:55 PM #5
Originally posted by SiliconC:
This was already talked about in the Dell Renegade thread.

Hence the title
2006-04-07, 12:59 PM #6
On second thought, wouldn't it be nice if Dell coupons worked with Alienware? One of those 50% off deals would really be handy, for a decently made gaming rig.
2006-04-07, 1:00 PM #7
Aye, or if they started selling them like the do the Dell refurbs.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-07, 1:21 PM #8
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
For the rich dumb kids, who can't build their own. But don't they just buy Xbox's anyway? No wonder it got bought out.

God forbid somebody not spend all their time stuck to a computer. Not to be mean, but that's what it took for me to learn as much as I have about computers. Then I grew up and got out of the house.

Just because someone wants ease of use, doesn't mean they're an idiot.

Also, old news. Not sure if it's good for the industry.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 1:24 PM #9
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Also, old news. Not sure if it's good for the industry.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't see what harm it could bring, really. Alienware was hardly a pillar.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-07, 1:26 PM #10
Originally posted by Jepman:
Well, I don't see what harm it could bring, really. Alienware was hardly a pillar.

I'm just afraid, that, well Alienware might become Dell's "high"-level gaming PC, unlike the XPS or whatever they have now.
2006-04-07, 1:48 PM #11
Originally posted by Jepman:

Alienware IS a pillar of prefab gaming machines. And if Dell buys out all the prefab companies, VooDoo PC and Falcon Northwest included, what's to keep them from jacking the prices beyond the already ridiculous levels.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 2:01 PM #12
The monopolistic competition of Prefab PCs is turning into a Monopoly of Dell. Just you wait, pretty soon Microsoft will sign some exclusive Windows deal with Dell, and we'll all be screwed.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-07, 2:03 PM #13
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The monopolistic competition of Prefab PCs is turning into a Monopoly of Dell. Just you wait, pretty soon Microsoft will sign some exclusive Windows deal with Dell, and we'll all be screwed.

No. Even though Dell makes up a significant portion of the market, they don't make up nearly enough for MS to sign with Dell. It's just not marketable for MS. And they're in the business for the money, not for the fun.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 2:08 PM #14
Reguardless, Dell is becoming a powerhouse. Does anyone see some Monopoly fines aimed at them in the future?

I'm excited for Google to start doing EVERYTHING. Open Source OS [Free? Linux user-friendly shell that integrates Google features?], Cheap prefabing service? [Free ?] Google WiFi? I'm OK with google being a monopoly when they're as user friendly and customer/human trendy. Anything google would charge for would be supported by the name itself. There are few companies that actually have satisfaction and customer-friendly associated with the name itself.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-07, 2:23 PM #15
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Reguardless, Dell is becoming a powerhouse. Does anyone see some Monopoly fines aimed at them in the future?

I'm excited for Google to start doing EVERYTHING. Open Source OS [Free? Linux user-friendly shell that integrates Google features?], Cheap prefabing service? [Free ?] Google WiFi? I'm OK with google being a monopoly when they're as user friendly and customer/human trendy. Anything google would charge for would be supported by the name itself. There are few companies that actually have satisfaction and customer-friendly associated with the name itself.

They still only control like 12 or 15 per cent of the prefab market, last I checked. They're powerful, but not a powerhouse. Not by any means. And Google's just rebranding things and tracking your account so they know how to advertise for you. That's been their gameplan from the beginning. Not to mention, they're not a Monopoly, just multi-faceted. The only thing they have a monopoly on, maybe, is searching, and a LOT of people still use Yahoo.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 2:26 PM #16
Yeah, I was knocked over the other day when one of my nerdy friends went to Yahoo. I'm like "Woah, I haven't been to Yahoo in a few years!" He's like "I use it exclusively." I'm surprised how many people are still addicted to yahoo. Google is so much cleaner and less cluttered, and I always seem to get the same results on the both of them, so it's not like one is better at searching than the other.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-07, 2:28 PM #17
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]God forbid somebody not spend all their time stuck to a computer. Not to be mean, but that's what it took for me to learn as much as I have about computers. Then I grew up and got out of the house.

Just because someone wants ease of use, doesn't mean they're an idiot.

Also, old news. Not sure if it's good for the industry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if you're not an enthusiast, as much as I am a PC fanboy, PC gaming really isn't for you.
2006-04-07, 2:35 PM #18
Originally posted by Reid:
I'm just afraid, that, well Alienware might become Dell's "high"-level gaming PC, unlike the XPS or whatever they have now.

It was pointed out in the last thread that Dell will not interfere with Alienware's operation. Alienware's CEO reports directly to Dell's CFO. The big change for Alienware is that they have access to Dell's supply system.

And how can anyone be sure of what's posted if you don't put something sensible in the thread title? You think I'm going to read through every thread just to find out what's been posted?
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-04-07, 2:38 PM #19
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Yeah, but if you're not an enthusiast, as much as I am a PC fanboy, PC gaming really isn't for you.

Oh, so just because you don't want to spend every waking moment building PCs and learning about them you should be excluded? You do realize enthusiasts make up a very small percentage of actual gamers right? Get off your high horse man. I used to think the same way, but companies know better.

And Kirby--Yahoo gets different results than Google, and they don't block any companies from their search results for any reason. That's a main difference.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 2:40 PM #20
Originally posted by Centrist:
It was pointed out in the last thread that Dell will not interfere with Alienware's operation. Alienware's CEO reports directly to Dell's CFO. The big change for Alienware is that they have access to Dell's supply system.

And how can anyone be sure of what's posted if you don't put something sensible in the thread title? You think I'm going to read through every thread just to find out what's been posted?

If you let the cursor hover over a thread's title you will be able to see a preview of the post...
2006-04-07, 2:52 PM #21
Originally posted by Reid:
If you let the cursor hover over a thread's title you will be able to see a preview of the post...

Only if you're viewing on your own computer, with scripts on. I view through a CGI proxy with scripts turned off and I can't see it like that.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 4:41 PM #22
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]
And Kirby--Yahoo gets different results than Google, and they don't block any companies from their search results for any reason. That's a main difference.[/QUOTE]

bull****. yahoo blocks a while bunch of crap for the chinese government, and has been since before google got in on it.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-07, 4:48 PM #23
Originally posted by Ford:
bull****. yahoo blocks a while bunch of crap for the chinese government, and has been since before google got in on it.

If memory serves correctly, doesn't Google as well? And even if they don't, the Chinese government blocks said sites.

In the long run, I meant that Google blocks people who abuse their service, even if only on circumstantial evidence. Yahoo doesn't.
D E A T H
2006-04-07, 5:15 PM #24
I believe the blocked site are only blocked on the chinese version of google.

At either rate, let Dell buy Alienware. Doesn't affect me any. But once they start encroaching on Newegg, there will be blood!
2006-04-07, 5:29 PM #25
I'm not affected by this either. I've always prefered to build my computer's from scratch. I've been doing that for almost 10 years now.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!