Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → wtf forcefields
wtf forcefields
2006-04-07, 4:51 PM #1
Go to foxnews.com, in the video section, and check out "use of the force."

Pretty ****in cool.
2006-04-07, 4:53 PM #2
WTB Forcefields 4 15g PST
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-07, 4:56 PM #3
Pretty spiffy.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-04-07, 4:59 PM #4
Too bad the liberals will never see this. They'll start foaming at the mouth and pass out before they can get past the foxnews.com link. :p

[edit: smilie added by popular request]
2006-04-07, 5:07 PM #5
So basically it's just a radar system with a gun that fires at the missle when in range?

That's not a force field in my opinion.

And wasn't there similar technology on ships for quite a while now, to protect them from missles in the air?
2006-04-07, 5:15 PM #6
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]So basically it's just a radar system with a gun that fires at the missle when in range?

And wasn't there similar technology on ships for quite a while now, to protect them from missles in the air?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, yeah, that's what I thought. Phalanx CIWS (close-in weapons system) if I remember correctly.
Stuff
2006-04-07, 5:16 PM #7
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]And wasn't there similar technology on ships for quite a while now, to protect them from missles in the air?[/QUOTE]
Yep I'm pretty sure there is although this seems to use a different type of projectile.

It appears to work but how it would cope with multiple incoming rpg's and such is another matter, also it seems to be only effective at rather close range.

I'm guessing it fires out hundred's or purhaps thousand's of tiny particles in the direction of an incoming rocket much like chaff on an airplane is used to confuse radar on missiles. Although the size and type of particles will probably be very different.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-07, 6:40 PM #8
[QUOTE=James Bond]I'm guessing it fires out hundred's or purhaps thousand's of tiny particles in the direction of an incoming rocket much like chaff on an airplane is used to confuse radar on missiles. Although the size and type of particles will probably be very different.[/QUOTE]

My thought's too. In fact, if you watch the videos of the rocket tests, you can see some shrapnel looking material moving in the opposite direction of the rockets.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-04-07, 7:28 PM #9
Inside the tank...

"What's that flashing!?"

"We're losing our deflector shield! Go strap yourself in, I'm going to make the jump to light speed!"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-07, 7:50 PM #10
how witty.
2006-04-07, 8:03 PM #11
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Too bad the liberals will never see this. They'll start foaming at the mouth and pass out before they can get past the foxnews.com link.

Im sorry, but why can't you just keep your views to yourself on something so innane as this?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-07, 8:13 PM #12
I'm sorry, but it doesn't take a liberal to see that Hannity and O'Reilly are goddamn retards. As long as we're talking about foaming-mouthed zealots who don't know what they're talking about and all.
2006-04-07, 8:15 PM #13
It's a cool system, but the forcefield analogy is incorrect. When I saw the beginning of the video, I thought they might be using some sort of electromagnetic wave technology to prematurely detonate the incoming round.
2006-04-07, 8:27 PM #14
Too bad the liberals will never see this. They'll start foaming at the mouth and pass out before they can get past the foxnews.com link.

This is was not needed. This is flamebait. This is not good.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-07, 8:27 PM #15

lol dr.dino
2006-04-07, 8:29 PM #16
I was cracking a joke. Just because I didn't use a smilie doesn't mean I'm serious. Lighten up people!
2006-04-07, 8:35 PM #17
Posting Tips #77: When attempting to make a joke over the internet especially where the joke is a crack against a group of people based on race/creed/religion/politics word it like it is a joke with appropriate emoticons. Otherwise you will look like you're flamebaiting and thus subject to administrative discipline.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-07, 8:38 PM #18
I was cracking a joke. Just because I didn't use a smilie doesn't mean I'm serious. Lighten up people!

Where'd dr. dino go?
2006-04-07, 8:54 PM #19
Anyway, back somewhat on topic:

I saw a thing about something a bit similar. It was basically a battlestar galactica (new) style flak-shield. (They fire all sorts of bullets/objects in a wide sweep towards the target missle, and hope enough hit to knock it out of the air.)

Sounds good in theory, if they can come up with a good way to store all the ammunition neccessary.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-04-07, 10:17 PM #20
Metal Storm 4 lyfe, yo.

Also, that crazy laser thingy that they're putting on a 747. That's cool.
Stuff
2006-04-07, 10:39 PM #21
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
This is was not needed. This is flamebait. This is not good.

Flamebait? I thought it was pretty funny.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-08, 12:11 AM #22
You would.
2006-04-08, 12:48 AM #23
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Flamebait? I thought it was pretty funny.

Too bad he was obviously flamebaiting.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 6:49 AM #24
Too bad the liberals will never see this. They'll start foaming at the mouth and pass out before they can get past the foxnews.com link. :p

[edit: smilie added by popular request]

I thought it was a joke too. No one has spoken out against this statement so I guess either everyone took it as a joke or didn't care.

btw foxnews.com is fugly. What is up with the repeating Fox logo on the right hand side?
2006-04-08, 8:18 AM #25
It's blatantly just some hawk-eyed dude with a shotgun :p
2006-04-08, 9:44 AM #26
The very first thing I saw when I went to foxnews.com was "MASS DESTRUCTION."
2006-04-08, 11:00 AM #27
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]So basically it's just a radar system with a gun that fires at the missle when in range?

And wasn't there similar technology on ships for quite a while now, to protect them from missles in the air?[/QUOTE]

That's sounds more like stuff we've had for the last 20 years.
2006-04-08, 5:28 PM #28
Originally posted by Uberslug:
The very first thing I saw when I went to foxnews.com was "MASS DESTRUCTION."
Fox makes more money when there's more destruction and mayhem.

I wonder how many wars Fox, CNN and Reuters have started.

Think about it. It would be like C-SPAN lobbying for new legislation.
2006-04-08, 9:49 PM #29
Set your Geo to 4 or Adjoin to 7

Sorry I totally stole that one

↑ Up to the top!