Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → HL2:Ep1 gets a website
HL2:Ep1 gets a website
2006-04-08, 6:57 AM #1
Yeah.

BerryBurst Cheerios are part of a balanced breakfast.
2006-04-08, 8:51 AM #2
Eww the trailer audio desyncs when it starts.

Luckily seeking around syncs it right up.

2006-04-08, 9:57 AM #3
Nice wallpapers. June 1st is official release date, and I'll be on vacation for 3 WEEKS at that time. Man, will I be missing out...

WOW! Better trailer. Nice.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-08, 11:02 AM #4
This looks annoyingly like Anti Citizen 1 with ant lions.
2006-04-08, 11:14 AM #5
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
This looks annoyingly like Anti Citizen 1 with ant lions.

That's what worries me too. The footage keeps suggesting a rehash of the City 17 action. On the other hand, a trailer can be deceiving.

It's cool that they added a section about the story.
2006-04-08, 11:48 AM #6
I loved the city 17 action. Striders were so amazing. Personally, every time the theme of hte actiopn changed, like from waterboat to zombies to snipers, I really enjoyed whatever it threw at me. I loved it. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-08, 1:02 PM #7
The new trailer is nice...

Better then the last one, at least.
2006-04-08, 1:27 PM #8
I really need to go back and finish HL2... I just got really distracted and stopped playing it.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-04-08, 2:45 PM #9
Now it doesn't look like they're expanding upon gameplay much, so I REALLY don't think I'll touch this for anything over 20 bucks. Secondly, it really looks like they're doing what any real mod team could probably do anyway.

I had a lot of fun with the HL2 SP, but I'm not much of an FPS type of guy. I'm still waiting for an FPS that gives a little more freedom and a lot more action. I wish you could fall over in FPSs, dive and fall into an itsy bitsy crawl space, and form against walls to be harder to see. I don't know, I think FPSs are still too arcade for me to fully enjoy them. I think a more fluid movement and maybe semi-ragdoll movement would really enhance FPS gameplay where you really felt like you were fighting and jumping and shooting around, rather than a disembodied camera floating through a pretty looking world.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-08, 11:26 PM #10
Kirb, it IS $20. Check the website more carefully. :D

Any, the wallpapers ARE nice. GMan is on my desktop right now.

2006-04-09, 12:12 AM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Now it doesn't look like they're expanding upon gameplay much, so I REALLY don't think I'll touch this for anything over 20 bucks. Secondly, it really looks like they're doing what any real mod team could probably do anyway.

I had a lot of fun with the HL2 SP, but I'm not much of an FPS type of guy. I'm still waiting for an FPS that gives a little more freedom and a lot more action. I wish you could fall over in FPSs, dive and fall into an itsy bitsy crawl space, and form against walls to be harder to see. I don't know, I think FPSs are still too arcade for me to fully enjoy them. I think a more fluid movement and maybe semi-ragdoll movement would really enhance FPS gameplay where you really felt like you were fighting and jumping and shooting around, rather than a disembodied camera floating through a pretty looking world.

1) If you're looking for freedom and action, Deus Ex is THE game for you.

2) What you're wanting will almost never happen.
D E A T H
2006-04-09, 8:32 AM #12
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) If you're looking for freedom and action, Deus Ex is THE game for you.[/QUOTE]

Well, if the AI wasn't non existant, I would agree. Sure you have a little freedom, but when you're fighting enemies that do nothing but maybe run at you or stand still and fire, it makes the gameplay a little bland. I guess I'm just spoiled by F.E.A.R. and heck, even HL1.

Oh, and to reply on topic:

That was an awesome trailer, I definetly want this! I couldn't really tell from the trailer, but I wonder if HDR is going to get a appearance?
I can only hope HL2:Ep1 runs as well as HL2 does on my 9800 Pro (@ 1280x1024).
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-09, 9:39 AM #13
I believe they will be using HDR, but it'll probably be an option to turn on and off, like in Lost Coast.

This is all speculation, of course. But it'd make sense to me.
2006-04-09, 10:41 AM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) If you're looking for freedom and action, Deus Ex is THE game for you.

2) What you're wanting will almost never happen.[/QUOTE]

Yoshi pretty much hit it on the nail. Deus Ex is probably the closest title with such freedom in an FPS. It's been my favorite game of all time.

The gaming industry doesn't stretch far beyond a general formula for the FPS:

1) You have between 10 - 20 different weapons but never more--nades, rifles, pistols, maybe fists or a knife/baton/sword, and rockets, of course.

2) In a single player game, you start with the weakest weapon and build your way up. The enemies also follow this natural increase in power.

3) Maps are linear. In some cases, the developers will be a little more thoughtful. For instance, no CS map has only one route from spawn to target.

4) The principle reason for playing an FPS is the adrenaline and fun of shooting things. To make it more sensible and civil, FPS's have stories or objectives in shooting up stuff. Some games give you options in the plot, adding numerous possibilities to the stories flow and conclusion; examples are DX, which worked great, and JA, which was mediocre. Still, the story is mostly a backdrop. When in HL2 did it actually matter that the resistance was growing against the combine? It just meant that you could shoot more stuff with more bots around you shooting stuff and more enemies shooting at you in a tighter space (run-on, lolol).

That's pretty much it. Feel free to add more. Overall, FPS's don't go beyond it, and yet it is my genre of choice :)
2006-04-09, 11:11 AM #15
Also, even though I don't hold so important position for realism in games, I have to say Deus Ex is also pretty realistic in the sense that I could see it happening.

Besides, the developers said the WTC towers aren't in NYC skyline because they were destroyed in a terrorist act... over one year before the attack. :rolleyes:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-09, 4:19 PM #16
Want.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-09, 4:27 PM #17
I think I'll buy it.

↑ Up to the top!