Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wireless Routers
Wireless Routers
2006-04-08, 11:03 AM #1
Time to get a new router...but from which company?

I already have a Linksys 2.4 GHz 802.11b router, and...it sucks. So I am thinking about getting this from Netgear, or somthing from Linksys (website is currently down, can't find the product elsewhere) or D-link (a company I havn't heard of before, so I don't know which product to by, thus no link either).
2006-04-08, 11:05 AM #2
Linksys, is made by Cisco, and therefore would be my suggestion above anything else.

I used a Netgear 11g, however, without any problems.
2006-04-08, 11:05 AM #3
I've got a Linksys wireless compact that works nicely
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-08, 11:05 AM #4
I've never had a problem with any Linksys product...so it's my recommendation.
2006-04-08, 11:06 AM #5
I've had an Airnet wirless router for quite sometime, and find that's fast, easy to use, quick to connect, and won't burn a hole in your wallet (around $50 the the 54mbs version).
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-08, 11:11 AM #6
3Com.

That is all.

<.<
>.>

Because I don't know what else to say.
2006-04-08, 11:21 AM #7
Airnet sounds like crap. Probably is for configurability. I suggest linksys or netgear NOT D-LINK.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 11:23 AM #8
I got one from dell that works fine.... it was free... free is good.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-08, 11:49 AM #9
I've had this from netgear for just over a year now and it's performed flawlessly.

Can't comment on Linksys or D-link as I've never used them, my experience with Netgear has however been fine.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-08, 12:01 PM #10
Go with Linksys. Open-source firmware (hacked firmware) = signal boosting goodness :)

AND NO D-LINK!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-08, 12:03 PM #11
Good luck, that's all I can say.

Buying a good Wireless router is one of the hardest things to do, and I can say this with confidence as I have dealt with more wireless hardware that I care to recall. Even if you do a S*** load of research and ask everybody you know, you will still probably end up with a pile of junk. The reason for this is two fold:

First: Most Wireless reviews only look at the router over a period of AT MAX 3 months, and on the whole most routers, except for the really really bad ones, behave just fine for the first few months. The real test is how well the router works after 6 months to a year.

Second: Virtually NONE of the major manufacturers of Wireless hardware actually make their own products, but to make things worse, they often don’t even enforce specifications on the companies who actually do make the hardware. This means that different revisions of single brand and model of wireless router might not only be made by entirely different companies, but might be built using entirely different chipsets, this means that while the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 4a might be great and reliable router, the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 5 might be a worthless pile of just that needs to be restarted hourly.

Overall, Most of the major manufactures are pretty equal, I recommended D-link simply because their tri-band routers have worked well for me in the past (but in all likelihood will not work well for others in the future). Just find the cheapest router that has the features you need/want, then check around online quickly to see if there are any MAJOR problems reported with it, then just buy it. In a year or so you’ll probably need to buy another one, but that’s just the name of the game.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-04-08, 12:18 PM #12
[QUOTE=West Wind]Good luck, that's all I can say.

Buying a good Wireless router is one of the hardest things to do, and I can say this with confidence as I have dealt with more wireless hardware that I care to recall. Even if you do a S*** load of research and ask everybody you know, you will still probably end up with a pile of junk. The reason for this is two fold:

First: Most Wireless reviews only look at the router over a period of AT MAX 3 months, and on the whole most routers, except for the really really bad ones, behave just fine for the first few months. The real test is how well the router works after 6 months to a year.

Second: Virtually NONE of the major manufacturers of Wireless hardware actually make their own products, but to make things worse, they often don’t even enforce specifications on the companies who actually do make the hardware. This means that different revisions of single brand and model of wireless router might not only be made by entirely different companies, but might be built using entirely different chipsets, this means that while the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 4a might be great and reliable router, the Linksys SuperROUTER 9000 rev 5 might be a worthless pile of just that needs to be restarted hourly.

Overall, Most of the major manufactures are pretty equal, I recommended D-link simply because their tri-band routers have worked well for me in the past (but in all likelihood will not work well for others in the future). Just find the cheapest router that has the features you need/want, then check around online quickly to see if there are any MAJOR problems reported with it, then just buy it. In a year or so you’ll probably need to buy another one, but that’s just the name of the game.[/QUOTE]
You also have to take into account how easy it is to change settings. Linksys is by FAR the most up front with as much configurability as you could ask for. Netgear is alright, better than most crap routers. D-Link's configurability is, in essence, akin to forcing a penguin to fly. It just doesn't work.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 12:20 PM #13
I can't speak for all Netgear's products, but the two routers I've gotten from them, one wired, one wireless, do not allow you to change the log-in username for the control panel.

Just a bit of security-related thing for you. I'd recommend Linksys.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-08, 12:26 PM #14
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I can't speak for all Netgear's products, but the two routers I've gotten from them, one wired, one wireless, do not allow you to change the log-in username for the control panel.

Just a bit of security-related thing for you. I'd recommend Linksys.

Unless you're using it for a network with people you don't know, that shouldn't be a problem. And you can probably get firmware updates. And I'm almost positive you can change the home address (ie 192.168.1.3) for the router.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 12:31 PM #15
Choose based on product, not company. Look for popular models, find reviews and analyses of them and make an educated decision. Blindly buying from one company or not from another is just asking for trouble.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-08, 12:31 PM #16
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Unless you're using it for a network with people you don't know, that shouldn't be a problem. And you can probably get firmware updates. And I'm almost positive you can change the home address (ie 192.168.1.3) for the router.[/QUOTE]

Changing the address for it will do hardly anything.

A quick nmap scan will reveal it in about 30 seconds or less.
2006-04-08, 12:38 PM #17
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Changing the address for it will do hardly anything.

A quick nmap scan will reveal it in about 30 seconds or less.[/QUOTE]
If they know how to use nmap, you may have bigger problems.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 2:44 PM #18
Originally posted by Shintock:
Linksys, is made by Cisco, and therefore would be my suggestion above anything else.

I used a Netgear 11g, however, without any problems.

For some reason, Linksys is supposed to be easiest to set up. In ALL of my experiences with Linksys, they never work reliably. Odd...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-08, 2:51 PM #19
[QUOTE=Double Helix]For some reason, Linksys is supposed to be easiest to set up. In ALL of my experiences with Linksys, they never work reliably. Odd...[/QUOTE]
Did you buy the cheap one? The ones that are like 25-30 bucks? Those suck. When you hit 50 bucks, however, they're all quality, I found. Their wireless routers are definitely win.
D E A T H
2006-04-08, 3:34 PM #20
I didn't buy it. I had to fix a router or two for people I know. There was some really screwed up stuff... It was months ago, so I don't remember what exactly it was, but it was a good one. It was really annoying...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-08, 7:20 PM #21
I have an SMC Barricade G 2804WBR - no complaints.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!