Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → another simple physics question.
another simple physics question.
2006-04-09, 4:06 PM #1
that is i'm assuming air currents and such follow the laws of physics.

why is it that when you're driving in a car, when the window on the opposite side of you is open(i.e. you're driving and the passenger window is open) does it get colder on your side than the side the window is open on?

if this can be explained simply, please do.

thanks
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-09, 4:11 PM #2
Well, you see, this is not a simple physics question. It involves the london dispersion forces between the molecules in the air and the superior bond with the still air within the car and the--

...yeah. I have no idea.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-09, 4:53 PM #3
something to to with rarefaction and low pressure on the closed-window side.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-09, 4:56 PM #4
Well, if the wind speed external to the car is 5.6 KM/H and blowing East, irrelevant of your cardinal direction, you should feel a strong breeze on your right shoulder. Or if you're English, the left.
2006-04-09, 5:07 PM #5
Without much research or thought into it, I'm going to say convection and that there's a drop in pressure in the cabin. I'm vagulely recalling a relation between temperature and pressure when I studied thermodynamics.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-09, 10:37 PM #6
Boyle's Law maybe? Can't quite remember either!

Maybe it's just you Ford, perhaps you're just odd :p
2006-04-10, 12:02 AM #7
Well I'm not seeing any way that the pressure change could cause a drop in temperature that's more pronounced on one side of the car, so it might just have to do with the way the wind is entering the window and circulating through the cab. Since it's moving quickly, it's probably actually coming around and hitting the person on the other side first.

[http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5814/fluidmechanics2vl.png]
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!