Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → All you Art/Art History buffs...help
All you Art/Art History buffs...help
2006-04-11, 12:58 PM #1
So Im writing my final paper for my art history class.

What exactly is the concept of "modernity?" Is there a difference between Modernism and Modernity?

Much thanks
2006-04-11, 1:07 PM #2
So... you want us to do your work for you?

Prepare to hand in a 40 page argument. :em321:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-11, 1:09 PM #3
No, unless someone wants to volunteer to write my paper for me.

Im just looking for thoughts and ideas from those who might know a thing or two about art.
2006-04-11, 1:24 PM #4
Hopefully this won't turn into an argument about graffiti again...
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-11, 1:28 PM #5
Originally posted by mscbuck:

Avenger was here.
2006-04-11, 1:45 PM #6
I was now.

My mom teaches art history, but that doesn't really help anything out. Don't you have a text book or something?
Pissed Off?
2006-04-11, 1:46 PM #7
Modernism was a style, Modernity probably has something to do with how modern a peice was for its time.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-11, 1:48 PM #8
Originally posted by mscbuck:

Graffiti sucks.
2006-04-11, 3:07 PM #9
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernity:

Modernity is a term used to describe the condition of being "Modern". Since the term "Modern" is used to describe a wide range of periods, modernity must be taken in context.

Modern can mean all of post-medieval European history, in the context of dividing history into three large epochs: Antiquity or Ancient history, the Middle ages, and Modern. It is also applied specifically to the period beginning somewhere between 1870 and 1910, through the present, and even more specifically to the 1910-1960 period.

there's something
2006-04-11, 5:57 PM #10
Modernism in art history is different than "the modern era" in the general historic sense. Instead of beginning in medieval times (or whenever), modernism in art began in the 19teens and went through the '70s or so. This is when postmodernism really comes about - which makes laymen derogatory comments about modern art kind of dated, but... whatever (contemporary is an equally ridiculous term, so I won't bother with it).

The modernity term is spot-on for art theory purposes though.
2006-04-11, 6:40 PM #11
The Modernist movement and the term modernity also don't necessarily coincide.
2006-04-11, 6:48 PM #12
Yep. If you want to understand modernity as expressed in a visual context, look at advertising and the promises of being superior/better/fulfilled in an imagined future state (after acquiring the advertised commodities of course).

I love this ad as an example of implied modernity upon purchase: (is linking better than leeching btw?) It's a good example of modernity being expressed through visual language, though modernity always requires a context to work within (our concept of what is modern differs from the 1951 concept this ad was working with).
2006-04-11, 7:34 PM #13
Is your paper on modernism vs modernity? or what's it about?
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-04-11, 7:40 PM #14
Surely it's about the effects and influences Communism had on modernism.

>.>

↑ Up to the top!