Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → all nighters
all nighters
2006-04-11, 8:36 PM #1
I'm currently in the middle of an all nighter to get my 4th year thesis in for tomorrow. Already did a normal final year thesis last year this is even f***ing bigger...

Currently sitting at ~60 pages and over ~12,000 words and still counting, guessing about another 5-10 pages to go plus final formatting.

I've never really done an all nighter before, stayed up till around 4am last year finishing it off but this year my project went to crap as I couldn't get hold of any of the equipment I needed till Jan/Feb, hence I was 4 months behind.

Anyways I know we've had threads like this before I just wondered if anyone else has done anything similar recently?

I should also mention that my hands are beginning to shake a little of all the coffee I've been drinking, its making typing a rather interesting experience. And Word is a b***h when it comes to aligning figures where you want. I thought about writting in Latex but never got round to it before it was too late, now I'm wishing I did :(
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-11, 9:04 PM #2
Did one last night. Gonna prolly do one tonight too. Stupid computer graphics program.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-11, 10:09 PM #3
Did one last week for a final term project. **** that sucked.
2006-04-11, 10:14 PM #4
I physically cannot stay up all night, around 4 ot 5 I get nauseous and vomit alot. And then, even if I somehow make it past those symptoms, I get sick the next day wthout fail. That being said, as my two years in college have progressed, my ability to stay up later and work productively has increased. Maybe, in time, I can join the ranks of the all-nighters, but that time has not yet come........
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2006-04-11, 10:21 PM #5
I don't much like staying up all night, so I try to avoid it wherever possible.

However, I'm somewhat of a procrastinator, and thus it happens every once in a while.
Stuff
2006-04-11, 10:44 PM #6
All nighters?

Bow chicka bow wow.
2006-04-11, 10:55 PM #7
I like those kind of all nighers. :D
Pissed Off?
2006-04-11, 11:01 PM #8
Grab a couple bottles of Bawlz, put on some hard rock / metal and you're good to go :cool:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-11, 11:07 PM #9
Recommend tea over coffee every time. :)

I did one to get a third year project in, in fact it was 95% complete at about 7:30pm, it was the ****ing formatting (and yep, Word is a complete pain) that took all night. I had to collate loads of small pieces with diagrams and the like. Gah.

Also, don't be tempted to sleep even if you finish with a few hours to spare. Ride it through, hand it in then go home and crash. You'll probably not sleep long, then get an early-ish night tonight :)
2006-04-11, 11:16 PM #10
Originally posted by Martyn:
Also, don't be tempted to sleep even if you finish with a few hours to spare. Ride it through, hand it in then go home and crash. You'll probably not sleep long, then get an early-ish night tonight :)

thats the plan...

Rbots
2006-04-11, 11:22 PM #11
I just turned in a 155 page usability report. Quit yer damn bellyaching.
2006-04-11, 11:37 PM #12
What a coincidence! I'm pulling an all-nighter as I type to finish a stupid paper. 2:37 AM now.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-11, 11:41 PM #13
Originally posted by Echoman:
What a coincidence! I'm pulling an all-nighter as I type to finish a stupid paper. 2:37 AM now.

I just stay up that late anyway :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-12, 1:31 AM #14
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]I just turned in a 155 page usability report. Quit yer damn bellyaching.[/QUOTE]DAMN.... :eek:

makes my (now) 70 page, 15,247 word report look rather piddley... :(

still its virtually finished, me and Word just need to sort out a disagreement on where we think an image should go...gggrrr :mad:

[edit]Should say its now 9.27am and I'm actually feeling pretty good...[/edit]

Rbots
2006-04-12, 1:37 AM #15
...it's 9:27?

Crazy europeans.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-12, 1:56 AM #16
I had to stay up and let my sister and her husband in the house since they are staying over the night. They were supposed to be here at 11:00 but they ran into traffic so they didn't get home until now at 1:56 in the morning.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-12, 1:57 AM #17
ah, Sav, you're on the west coast? Where at?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-12, 2:20 AM #18
The only true all-nighter I pulled this year was studying for my archaeology midterm. I drank 2 pots of coffee, got quite sick in the later morning and afternoon, and couldn't fall asleep for about 40 hours. This was after the rest of my housemates had gone home, so I was left alone, wired and sleep deprived. Fun times!
2006-04-12, 2:40 AM #19
Yay! Its 5:38, and I'm still up writing crap and this crap doesn't really make sense because things don't really need to make sense to make sense to me. Too tired to care and everything I write sems okay to me but still crappy essay.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-12, 4:35 AM #20
well the thesis is finally finished at 75 pages

only thing now is to get the blasted thing printed out (3 times)...typically the printer is deciding to be a ***** at the worst possible time. Still everything appears to be going smoothly at the moment...

I will have passed 24hrs solidly awake in under 30mins, still feeling ok, although do have a mild headache.

Rbots
2006-04-12, 4:39 AM #21
If you have trouble printing (ie you take it to a uni printer) you can get your doc file locked as a pdf. That's how I did my final year project (because our uni pcs mangled anything i took to them - "the font cannot be found")
2006-04-12, 4:40 AM #22
I rarely pull all nighters, but I've been sleeping maximum 3 hours per night for the last 3 weeks. I'm worn out and feel like I'm 40 hahaha.

In between 10-12 hours at work per day (damn overtime), 4 or 5 design contracts I have at home, work out and attending the pregnant girlfriend, its hell. Thankfully, I finish my last contract at home this week. After that, I'll be good to sleep a few hours more.

I hardly have time to play oblivion :( :em321:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-12, 4:47 AM #23
Originally posted by Martyn:
If you have trouble printing (ie you take it to a uni printer) you can get your doc file locked as a pdf. That's how I did my final year project (because our uni pcs mangled anything i took to them - "the font cannot be found")
I've already converted to .pdf and thats what I'm printing out in, there are also a few sections of the report that could really do being in colour and hence that's why I'm printing out in my room, just takes forever, damn slow HP. One of the first things I'm going to buy when I start my PhD will be a decent printer.

Rbots
2006-04-12, 5:04 AM #24
My final year (group) project report is currently at about 26,000 out of a minimum target of 35,000 words. I can also do allnighters quite easily without the aid of any stay-awake beverages.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-12, 5:11 AM #25
yikes thats one huge group project, how many of you are doing it??

mine in total is 15,680 but the limit on our work is pages and not words. We have to fit it in under 75 pages, mine is 74 :) including contents, list of figures, etc...

and this is my 2,500th post, yay me.

Rbots
2006-04-12, 7:48 AM #26
I couldn't do an all-nighter. I need my sleep and would sacrifice whatever I needed to do just to get some rest. Then again, I have never had any stay-awake beverages, unless you count Pepsi?
2006-04-12, 8:29 AM #27
I pull all-nighters at my job all of the time and I hate it. I sometimes even drive home from other cities after having pulled multiple all-nighters. I once drove from Atlanta, GA to Louisville, KY after having been awake for two days already. I drove from Chicago, IL to Louisville, KY after pulling an all-nighther on Monday morning. I feel sick half of the time, and I generally crash on my day(s) off (when I get them). Bah, I hate even talking about this...
2006-04-12, 11:32 AM #28
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Then again, I have never had any stay-awake beverages, unless you count Pepsi?

Well it's caffeinated!
2006-04-12, 11:44 AM #29
Dang! 75 Pages is long! I'm glad I'm still in high school. What are you majoring in?
2006-04-12, 8:19 PM #30
The Truth of the Physics of REALITY.
2006-04-12, 8:39 PM #31
several weeks ago, from 4:30 tuesday afternoon til 4:30 wednesday morning I didn't leave the fine arts building because I was building THIS for my 3d-Design class.
It did pay off since my professor loved it. Big A stamped on that one.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-12, 9:35 PM #32
I work nights so I technically pull all-nighters all the time... my problem is that sleep doesn't mean so much during the day and whereas 8 hours at night is enough, i'm sleeping at least 10 during the day and not really doing anything except working :oS

Don't think I ever pulled an all nighter for my degree.... spelling gets out of control after about 3 and it takes me twice as long as it should to type anything. Goes for writing too.

Worst thing is when I come to visit James (Bond). I'm nocturnal and he's sleep deprived and trying to recover. Consquently, neither of us is asleep. (05:28) Only got about 3 hours this evening. Just have to think of something to do ;o)
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-04-13, 5:06 AM #33
Red Bull

Skittles

COffee

tea

Pepsi

Rolled Cigarettes with 50% tea granules and 50% tobacco.

You'll stay awake, but man, you WILL feel crap the day after.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-13, 5:15 AM #34
50% tea granules?

are you a nutter?
2006-04-13, 5:40 AM #35
i stayed up until about 5:30am working on an animation. I went to sleep before class and now its 8:40ish.

horray for no sleep!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-13, 8:29 AM #36
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]50% tea granules?

are you a nutter?[/QUOTE]

yes. But it works.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-13, 10:53 AM #37
Does most caffeine put everyone else to sleep? Maybe I just crash fast, but bawls, rockstar, coffee, it all knocs me out.

Green tea, or Chai tea, while having less caffeine, keeps me up longer and seems to make me feel great. Especially if I eat fruit with it while I'm staying up.

But I've consumed a triple rockstar, and a Jolt, and fallen asleep ten minutes later. :gbk:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-13, 10:56 AM #38
I stayed up for 3 consecutive days once. Storyboarding class is a lot of work.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!