Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looking for help...
Looking for help...
2006-04-12, 2:01 PM #1
Ok, folks, lets try to stay serious for once. The crew needs the following things:
-Concept artists: I need concept artists to help illustrate the costumes that will be made
-Project manager: I'm in great need of a manager, to help me manage this thing. Sort of like a 2nd in command dude.
-Ventrilo server: The team truly does need a vent server into which we can communicate through mic's real time. I cannot host a server due to my router.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-12, 2:03 PM #2
P.S.

If you decide to post, stay on track. I will add more to this list if needed
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-12, 2:04 PM #3
Before this gets out of hand, and I end up loseing even more respect from some Massassians, I am going to humbley and honestly say that Massassi is not the best choice for your project. We are even based off of game editing, not video editing. This type of work you want to do is best for your immediate friends that are near you, not on the internet.
2006-04-12, 2:06 PM #4
Originally posted by Anovis:
Before this gets out of hand, and I end up loseing even more respect from some Massassians, I am going to humbley and honestly say that Massassi is not the best choice for your project. We are even based off of game editing, not video editing. This type of work you want to do is best for your immediate friends that are near you, not on the internet.

I realize it that, how ever Massassi has evolved into a place where many more sources of art work are presented.
2006-04-12, 2:07 PM #5
May i suggest that you get a Project Manager that ISN'T online, someone to talk to face to face and work with
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-12, 2:08 PM #6
Originally posted by genk:
May i suggest that you get a Project Manager that ISN'T online, someone to talk to face to face and work with

I would, if he could speak English.
2006-04-12, 2:08 PM #7
Alright then. If you want to try to find people, you can. No one is stopping you.
2006-04-12, 2:18 PM #8
one thing gold, if you're making a film then a project manager usually gets called a Producer.
2006-04-12, 2:19 PM #9
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]one thing gold, if you're making a film then a project manager usually gets called a Producer.[/QUOTE]

I'm paying for this, so that would make me the producer.
2006-04-12, 2:19 PM #10
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]one thing gold, if you're making a film then a project manager usually gets called a Producer.[/QUOTE]

*chuckle*
2006-04-12, 2:20 PM #11
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I'm paying for this, so that would make me the producer.

a producer isnt just for the money.

heres a good similie.

imagine an orchestra conductor.

they dont know how to play all the instruments, but they know exactly how they all should sound.
2006-04-12, 2:21 PM #12
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]a producer isnt just for the money.

heres a good similie.

imagine an orchestra conductor.

they dont know how to play all the instruments, but they know exactly how they all should sound.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We understand one another.
2006-04-12, 2:23 PM #13
so what role do you want this project manager to fill?

if anything other than a producers role?
2006-04-12, 2:25 PM #14
Pretty much to "orchestrate things" sort of like a 2nd in command. Help me organize this. Give opinions etc etc.
2006-04-12, 2:49 PM #15
If you are willing to pay to produce this fan film, then finding a decent and cheap Ventrillo or Teamspeak server shouldn't be of too much trouble for you. There are many around that are as low a 5 dollars a month. That's peanuts.

If you are serious about such a project, you need to be ready to go the whole way. There is no *I* in team, (yes this is a corny saying, but its true), and you shouldn't be about saying "I'm first in command", or "I'm producer because I'm paying," etc. That can do one of two things: annoy your peers and co-workers, or break the entirity of the project by ruining everyone's interest or their feeling that they are important to the team.

Now, one thing worth mentioning that I learned in my younger years when I edited JK and started a new project every second week, is that you must not plan bigger than you can handle. I learned this during editing, but it applies to any hobbies (or many places irl for that matter). Make sure you don't fall into that trap. Start rather small, and work up and see what you can "feature". Just be certain not to expect an holywoodian quality production.

Its easier to build onto than build downwards. Just my two cents. :)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-12, 2:59 PM #16
Originally posted by Jepman:
If you are willing to pay to produce this fan film, then finding a decent and cheap Ventrillo or Teamspeak server shouldn't be of too much trouble for you. There are many around that are as low a 5 dollars a month. That's peanuts.

If you are serious about such a project, you need to be ready to go the whole way. There is no *I* in team, (yes this is a corny saying, but its true), and you shouldn't be about saying "I'm first in command", or "I'm producer because I'm paying," etc. That can do one of two things: annoy your peers and co-workers, or break the entirity of the project by ruining everyone's interest or their feeling that they are important to the team.

Now, one thing worth mentioning that I learned in my younger years when I edited JK and started a new project every second week, is that you must not plan bigger than you can handle. I learned this during editing, but it applies to any hobbies (or many places irl for that matter). Make sure you don't fall into that trap. Start rather small, and work up and see what you can "feature". Just be certain not to expect an holywoodian quality production.

Its easier to build onto than build downwards. Just my two cents. :)

Many true points there, I'm sorry if I sounded like a tryandt or something. But every one is very important on the team.
2006-04-12, 3:10 PM #17
As I said in the other thread, consider checking out the forums at ConceptArt.org.
2006-04-12, 3:12 PM #18
actually, jep, as far as making film goes, thats not entirely accurate... if gold is planning on writing, directing and producing, pretty much what he says is what goes... everyone else is just doing what they are passionate for.
2006-04-12, 3:13 PM #19
One of the things you should do if seeking help in this way is to offer the following information in a concise and clear fashion:

-What you are doing (a fanfilm, right?)
-What you have already accomplished in terms of PLANNING
-What you have already accomplished in terms of WORK
-A summary of the subject of your film. Yes, you don't want everyone stealing your ideas, but you need to at least give us a gist of what the thing is about -- what if it's on something we have absolutely no interest in, or abhor?

Then, the following in a more detailed, but not ridiculously complex fashion:

-Plans -- how are you going to put the team together? How often and for what purposes will you communicate with which members of the team?
-Expectations -- what will you expect of the team? Are you willing to fire? Will you be seeking additional members? And, (see below)
-Projection -- what is your IDEAL timeline? How will things play out? At what stage should what be finished? Then, what might prevent that from happening? (Expectations) And, what will the team need to do in order to keep things generally on track? [this part's kinda iffy cuz you can't predict the future, but it IS helpful to see what you have in mind and what you want, so people have something to judge off of]
-Job descriptions -- exactly what is it are you looking for? What kind of people should not apply? Are there any prerequisites -- experience? demonstration of work? etc.
一个大西瓜
2006-04-12, 3:17 PM #20
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]actually, jep, as far as making film goes, thats not entirely accurate... if gold is planning on writing, directing and producing, pretty much what he says is what goes... everyone else is just doing what they are passionate for.[/QUOTE]

People will realize he is still the project leader and there is definatly need for someone to organize it all, but throwing "I'm the boss" in everyone's face is the fastest road to failure. This is not true for a full production feature film, but this is a fan film, a hobby. People are doing this for pleasure, not because they are recieving a regular salary to keep their mouth shut and do their work.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-12, 3:27 PM #21
Well.

If you PM me a few concepts that you need drawn, I can probably throw out a bit. But I won't be able to do regular work on it for an extended period because I have my own portfolio to finish.
2006-04-12, 3:35 PM #22
meh i guess i see it a little different.

as far as i see, he would mould his ideas, then find someone passionate about shooting, someone passionate about editing, someone passionate about makeup etc.... thats how i made my films, except that i only needed to find people passionate about acting and makeup as far as anything else went.
2006-04-12, 3:46 PM #23
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but, some time ago, I volunteered to be concept artist. They where kind enough to show me their draft script (sorry, no spoilers :o )- and, in my opinion, I find it to be a rather well written script.

Just felt that I should voice that. :cool:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-04-12, 3:52 PM #24
Free the chocolate Hostage!!

/spe
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-12, 3:53 PM #25
/me spe's on ruthy