Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → #massassi moved
#massassi moved
2006-04-13, 5:26 PM #1
We have moved #massassi to irc.zirc.org. The crapplet has been updated, other pages will follow. You will all have to register your nicknames with the new nickserv again. If you try to go to the holonet massassi, you will automatically be kicked with a message stating we have moved to zIRC.

Thanks!

The poll:
Most of the people who voted to stay on holonet were not regulars, while most who voted to move were regulars. As I said, regulars had their votes count for more and I edited the poll to reflect that.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-04-13, 5:42 PM #2
Apparently zirc.org maintains their own cgi::irc client, so mine just redirects to theirs now.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-04-13, 5:52 PM #3
When did this poll take place?
2006-04-13, 5:53 PM #4
But star wars chatrooms belong on Holonet. It is, afterall, the Holonet!
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-04-13, 6:22 PM #5
Originally posted by Isuwen:
But star wars chatrooms belong on Holonet. It is, afterall, the Holonet!
holonet has less to do with star wars and more to do with sucking horribly.
2006-04-13, 6:27 PM #6
#tacc moved to zirc.

I hope #jkhub will as well. i don't feel like having 3 server windows open, with mIRC's crapy multi-server interface.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-13, 7:06 PM #7
I see that some massassians are more equal than others.
2006-04-13, 7:17 PM #8
Originally posted by Warlord:
I see that some massassians are more equal than others.

Have you never heard of postcounts? Duh!
2006-04-13, 7:18 PM #9
A note to all users: Be sure to register your nicknames or you will not be able to speak in the channel.
2006-04-13, 8:59 PM #10
and don't freakin steal someone's nick
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-13, 9:11 PM #11
Too bad half our nicknames are already registered because it's such a big server. Why did we move in the first place? I never heard about a poll to move, and to be honest, I've had more issues with Zirc sucking than I have with holonet sucking.
2006-04-13, 9:26 PM #12
Wasn't the poll posted only a day or two ago?
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-13, 10:21 PM #13
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Too bad half our nicknames are already registered because it's such a big server. Why did we move in the first place? I never heard about a poll to move, and to be honest, I've had more issues with Zirc sucking than I have with holonet sucking.[/QUOTE]
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=40702
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-14, 1:02 AM #14

Um. I like how the Yes count is 220, but theres's only 20 names listed, compared to the 28 names for No.
2006-04-14, 1:41 AM #15
How did I completely miss that poll? Last time I checked Massassi was probably a bit more than 24 hours ago.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-14, 2:15 AM #16
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Um. I like how the Yes count is 220, but theres's only 20 names listed, compared to the 28 names for No.[/QUOTE]Yeah, because most of the people who voted "No" never visit the chat room. What are they going to do about it? Not go to #massassi anymore?
2006-04-14, 4:53 AM #17
The poll was an interest check, rather than a demographic vote.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2006-04-14, 7:14 AM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Yeah, because most of the people who voted "No" never visit the chat room. What are they going to do about it? Not go to #massassi anymore?

Heh, if they do go to #massassi on holonet, they won't be there long. :)
You Can't Kill What You Can't See
-Beware of the FantomJedi
2006-04-14, 7:20 AM #19
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
How did I completely miss that poll? Last time I checked Massassi was probably a bit more than 24 hours ago.

That's because the poll was open for a few hours only. Ensuring people in other timezones couldn't vote. Yay democracy. I don't even get why there was a vote, because it seems to me that a majority of the ops had already decided to move long before the poll was posted.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-14, 7:38 AM #20
Yeah, the poll was a bit redundant; the move was in the making for a long time- although the final "quantum jump" from server to server did happen quite quickly, heh. Also, only counting chat regulars, "move" has about 50% more votes. For those of you who wanted to stay because "that's the way it's always been", remember that we've not been on holonet forever, there was reconnet, and chatcircuit before that.
2006-04-14, 8:52 AM #21
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
Yeah, the poll was a bit redundant; the move was in the making for a long time- although the final "quantum jump" from server to server did happen quite quickly, heh. Also, only counting chat regulars, "move" has about 50% more votes. For those of you who wanted to stay because "that's the way it's always been", remember that we've not been on holonet forever, there was reconnet, and chatcircuit before that.

And Efnet (sp?) in the first year :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-14, 9:38 AM #22
oSiRiS himself voted for massassi to stay on holonet, but he modified the poll in favor of moving it.

:confused:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-04-14, 10:10 AM #23
I go to massassi a lot, but I didn't want the move. Why move to a bigger server? I want to be able to talk, but Glyde is a more common name than people may realize.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-04-14, 10:24 AM #24
For all of you that are like "But holonet is STAR WARS":

You are not regulars, therefore you wouldnt know the pains we have had with holonet.

I went into holonets #help channel and went unanswered for a WEEK until i got "help." Do you know what they did to help? Told me to shut up and then banned me. And yet they let trolls run free.

I went into the zirc #help channel to ask about channel modes. within 5 minutes I was helped and my question was answered.

Yes some nicks are registered already, but adding a ` to your name is not a big deal
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-14, 11:37 AM #25
Originally posted by Ewoklover:
oSiRiS himself voted for massassi to stay on holonet, but he modified the poll in favor of moving it.

:confused:

Looks like you didn't read the first post in this thread.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-04-14, 12:17 PM #26
Yes I did. My question was why did you suggest we move if you didn't want to move in the first place. The poll seemed to irrelevant anyway, so its no biggie, I don't really care.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-04-14, 12:19 PM #27
Originally posted by Ewoklover:
Yes I did. My question was why did you suggest we move if you didn't want to move in the first place. The poll seemed to irrelevant anyway, so its no biggie, I don't really care.

The poll was modified to remove everyone that wasn't a chat regular who voted.
2006-04-14, 12:36 PM #28
Nope tofu, we definately have less than 240 regulars. :p

Like brad said it was a weighted vote.

2006-04-14, 12:54 PM #29
Why not run your own ircd?
2006-04-14, 4:13 PM #30
Great idea! Just donate a server to us to run it on and we'll be in business. :p

2006-04-14, 4:29 PM #31
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Great idea! Just donate a server to us to run it on and we'll be in business. :p[/QUOTE]
Brian runs one. Your using it right now to browse this thread.

That would seem to make the most sense to me - just host it on the same server as massassi.net.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-04-14, 5:19 PM #32
I've already asked Brian about the possibility of running additional services on Massassi's server and he was opposed to it.

For very good reasons.

Look, guys: running an IRC server is a very good way to paint a giant bullseye on your entire site. ReT routinely brought holonet down and evaded k-lines to do it. It's bad enough when he attacks the forums, but if Brian ran an IRC server I can guarantee that it would happen on an hourly basis.
2006-04-14, 7:15 PM #33
Not to mention Brian's server provider (Serverbeach) does not allow IRC servers. (I know this, because my server is also on Serverbeach)

As Jon`C said, running a IRC server on a big server like this is just asking for trouble. It's simply not secure at all.
2006-04-14, 7:27 PM #34
What? ircd is not made with any security?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-15, 4:42 AM #35
Of course it has some security, but running an ircd is still less secure than not running an ircd =p. It's just another opening for attacks.
2006-04-15, 7:38 AM #36
OH NOS, we better shut down the massassi web and sql servers right away, they're GAPING SECURITY HOLES. :p

2006-04-15, 8:20 AM #37
Sucks bad, my nick, "Brian" is already taken and registered.
2006-04-15, 11:12 AM #38
Dude! The I just heard that the internet is really insecure! We should get the server off immediately!

(:p)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-15, 11:46 AM #39
Originally posted by Brian:

Vinny's taken too.

So is tofu (I think.)

And apparently Glyde.
2006-04-15, 12:31 PM #40
Yay, Impi wasn't taken!

Originally posted by Brian:

Well, register LOLZIER!!!1111
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!