Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do any of you go to MIT?
Do any of you go to MIT?
2006-04-14, 6:52 PM #1
Please tell me you don't like it there. I really hope it was okay that I didn't apply and that I'm not missing anything.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2006-04-14, 6:54 PM #2
Yeah, it's great here at MIT. You really are missing out.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-14, 6:59 PM #3
I hear that people put targets on the ground by tall building on campus to it gives the students jumping to their deaths near finals time something to aim for.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-14, 7:02 PM #4
Originally posted by Avenger:
I hear that people put targets on the ground by tall building on campus to it gives the students jumping to their deaths near finals time something to aim for.

That's hilarious.

A friend and I applied there last year; we were dropped like it's hot if you get my drift.

EDIT: I incorrectly said that I applied last night instead of last year. LOLOL
2006-04-14, 7:19 PM #5
I wish I had gone to MIT. :(
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-04-14, 7:31 PM #6
I got accepted, but never attended. That school and Rose Hullman University have two of the highest suicide rates in the world. It's insane.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-04-14, 7:52 PM #7
I'm applying... To the MEXICAN Institute of Technology AMIGOS!
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-14, 7:53 PM #8
Is that in Tijuana?
Pissed Off?
2006-04-14, 8:12 PM #9
Originally posted by Yecti:
I got accepted, but never attended. That school and Rose Hullman University have two of the highest suicide rates in the world. It's insane.

Pardon my ignorance...but why? I had no idea (I dont even know where MIT is...) they had such a high rate.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-14, 8:20 PM #10
Because it's super competative and a lot of really hard work.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-14, 8:34 PM #11
Seriously, we all know a really emo MIT graduate and now a days he likes to not talk to people and bash their heads in.

[http://www.cyberartscamp.org/webdesign/2004/week1/phillip_chen/images/gordon%20freeman.jpg]
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-04-14, 9:20 PM #12
MIT is supposedly ridiculously academically rigorous.

Please view this cornell DDR club video for an amusing (but true) portrayal of MIT

(+ the video is funny too. The MIT reference comes in about 4:50)

Also, it's absurdly competitive in terms of admission (though it's gotten better recently) .. a couple years ago they were the most selective school in the nation, now (or 2005 rather) they accept 16% ish

(reading this from a college index book haha)
一个大西瓜
2006-04-14, 9:23 PM #13
I never bothered applying, due to the ridiculous tuition prices and the fact that I'm far too lazy/procrastinational to actually succeed there.
Stuff
2006-04-14, 9:43 PM #14
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
Seriously, we all know a really emo MIT graduate and now a days he likes to not talk to people and bash their heads in.

[IMG][/img]

I didn't know you knew my neighbor.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-14, 10:32 PM #15
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:

wait. emo... what?
2006-04-15, 11:39 AM #16
isnt there a thread asking where everyone goes to college? wouldn't this thread have been better off as simply a reply in that thread?
2006-04-15, 12:05 PM #17
Originally posted by Pommy:
MIT is supposedly ridiculously academically rigorous.

Please view this cornell DDR club video for an amusing (but true) portrayal of MIT

(+ the video is funny too. The MIT reference comes in about 4:50)

Also, it's absurdly competitive in terms of admission (though it's gotten better recently) .. a couple years ago they were the most selective school in the nation, now (or 2005 rather) they accept 16% ish

(reading this from a college index book haha)

The Dartmouth reference is even better, IMO.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-04-15, 12:10 PM #18
Originally posted by THRAWN:
Pardon my ignorance...but why? I had no idea (I dont even know where MIT is...) they had such a high rate.

wait wait wait... you don't know where it is? The name of the school doesn't give you a hint??? ha ha ha.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-15, 12:10 PM #19
This isn't about where people go to college. This is about who goes to MIT and how they feel about MIT. I look at it though and I kind of see some place above and beyond. I just wanted to know how true it is, are people there just normal people or is it some ideal environment with a whole bunch of smart and motivated people?
2006-04-15, 12:42 PM #20
MIT is for geeks who cant get girls.

Naturally, I'm applying next year.

/runs away.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-15, 1:04 PM #21
Haha. You'd come over the drink just to fail Ruth? lmfao doubtful.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-04-15, 1:11 PM #22
Originally posted by LonelyDagger:
This isn't about where people go to college. This is about who goes to MIT and how they feel about MIT. I look at it though and I kind of see some place above and beyond. I just wanted to know how true it is, are people there just normal people or is it some ideal environment with a whole bunch of smart and motivated people?

But do you meet their expectations?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-15, 3:32 PM #23

of course it's full of smart and motivated people (or obsessive people)

but they're also normal .. some of them

disclaimer: I do not go to MIT; this information is based on my visits there, plus stories from a friend's brother who goes there, is part of a frat, and seems to be the complete opposite of the stereotypical OGMDLSAKru2398fj2 MIT student
一个大西瓜
2006-04-15, 9:03 PM #24
Originally posted by Pommy:
but they're also normal .. some of them

Yeah, the promotional material for MIT that I read once featured a student who was captain of his high school's football and baseball teams. They aren't all nerds who whack off to Linux distros.

O SNAP
2006-04-15, 9:05 PM #25

No. 7 in the US News and World Reports rankings.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php
Pissed Off?
2006-04-15, 9:41 PM #26

That list is completely flawed. The University of Kansas is on there as More Selective. I'm fairly sure it requires almost nothing to get accepted there except you have to be able to apply and spell your name correctly on the application (if that).
2006-04-15, 9:43 PM #27
Teah, I go to the Massassi Institute of Totally awesome, *****.
2006-04-15, 9:46 PM #28
It takes into account more than just how selective each university is. And never mind the fact that MIT has "most selective" and UK has "more selctive". Way to read there, big guy.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-15, 11:00 PM #29
I can see you are well versed in being rude, but not at much else.
2006-04-15, 11:06 PM #30
I decided today that I'm going to KU, actually. Coincidentally. It is easy to get admitted to the university, but much harder to get into the Master of Architecture program.

Had to choose between that and Kansas State, which are both quite highly ranked...

Hmm.
2006-04-15, 11:07 PM #31

WTF?

Okay, Avenger's just correcting you...not only that, but it is fairly hard to get into KU. It's not easy at least. I would define it as "More Selective" especially depending on what program you enter. The pharmaceutical program and the dental program there are ruthless--hard as hell to get into.

Bottom line--you don't know what you're talking about.
D E A T H
2006-04-15, 11:14 PM #32
Originally posted by saberopus:
I decided today that I'm going to KU, actually. Coincidentally. It is easy to get admitted to the university, but much harder to get into the Master of Architecture program.

Had to choose between that and Kansas State, which are both quite highly ranked...

Hmm.

And do you live in Kansas Saber? If so that'd make 5 kansas massassians.
D E A T H
2006-04-16, 6:43 AM #33
The problem with MIT is that it's a research school. The professors are there to do research, and teaching classes is just a distraction for them... if they even bother to teach instead of just hiring a bunch of TAs who have no idea what they are doing. I've heard horror stories about first year classes at MIT involving maybe 1 hour of contact with the professor per semester. You'd be much better off attending MIT for grad school than undergrad. It's also much easier to get into MIT as a grad student.

RIT on the other hand, does very little research. It's focus is on undergraduate studies. The professors are there to teach. In the 4 years I spent at RIT, I only had 3 labs that were taught by TA's... and the professor was always in either the same room or an adjacent one if they were needed. I had very few professors at RIT that I did not like. RIT may not have the same reputation as MIT, but you can't really compare the two. MIT is a top 5 engineering school for graduate work, while RIT is a top 5 engineering school for undergraduate work.
2006-04-16, 12:35 PM #34

Actually, I was trying to be helpful at the start, but then your comments about KU kind of made me want to stop. I don't really like it when people mouth off about stuff when they don't know what they're talking about.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-16, 12:50 PM #35
Let's just leave it at that. If this starts becoming an issue the poor thread will die. :(

AT MY HANDS!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-04-16, 4:03 PM #36
Here's an actual quote from a current student that sums up this topic.

"Getting an education from MIT is like getting a drink from a firehose."
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2006-04-16, 8:01 PM #37
Actually, I was trying to be helpful at the start, but then your comments about KU kind of made me want to stop. I don't really like it when people mouth off about stuff when they don't know what they're talking about.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I only visited many times, I only talk to students their constantly, I only talked to their professors, I only live in the state of Kansas.

You only wanted to be helpful, that's why you said
"Way to read there, big guy."

I'd be upset, but I'm used to watching you guys insult each other and show a common disregard for courtesy. Life goes on.
2006-04-16, 8:02 PM #38
Originally posted by saberopus:

Hmm.

I've seen a lot of architects who learn not to sleep, very tough after junior year.
2006-04-16, 8:17 PM #39
It doesn't seem like a fun place. The people I know from around that area don't speak very highly of it. I didn't even bother applying there, mainly because I did early decision with Vandy, but also because I knew it would've cost a hell of a lot more to go there despite the very close estimated costs of both places and it's not nearly as social.
2006-04-16, 8:27 PM #40
I have no idea what I'm talking about. I only visited many times, I only talk to students their constantly, I only talked to their professors, I only live in the state of Kansas.

You only wanted to be helpful, that's why you said
"Way to read there, big guy."

I'd be upset, but I'm used to watching you guys insult each other and show a common disregard for courtesy. Life goes on.

I only said that after you took a turn for the smartass. And your opinion of KU, because that's what it is, seems to be a little off base. A very reputable publication that has been ranking US colleges for some time sees fit to rank KU in the top fifty. Excuse me if I take their word for it over yours.

And the truth is, you didn't read it correctly.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!