Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ryan vs Dorkman (lightsaber fight)
Ryan vs Dorkman (lightsaber fight)
2006-04-16, 1:55 AM #1
Perhaps this is old news for some of you, but I've just seen it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8NE5elL30w4

The best fan-produced SW lightsaber fight I have EVER seen.
幻術
2006-04-16, 2:00 AM #2
We just had a thread aboot this.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-16, 2:09 AM #3
Thread? I know of no thread! What is this "thread" that you are talking about?
幻術
2006-04-16, 2:15 AM #4
It's what I left to your mom last night.

Uh.

omg
2006-04-16, 2:24 AM #5
[http://intuitive-ds.com/personal/funny-room.jpg]
幻術
2006-04-16, 2:26 AM #6
Yeah, I'm such a lizard.
2006-04-16, 5:19 AM #7
Not bad for two silly nerds! ^_^

Though I hated the rolling bit, and that one pose dorkman took with the hand arced next to his fast was very crappy. Ending was comical.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-16, 5:51 AM #8
That was great.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-04-16, 5:54 AM #9
i've seen better... but it's definately in the top ten
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-04-16, 5:59 AM #10
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i've seen better... but it's definately in the top ten

Links.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-04-16, 10:05 AM #11
Must I say that this is older than time? Seriously... its truly remarkable that some one can discover something on you tube that is on 100 other sites... people... go to [url]www.theforce.net[/url] for fan films...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-16, 1:35 PM #12
We did indeed have a thread about this 2 weeks ago.
nope.
2006-04-16, 2:01 PM #13
It was good overall, but I didn't like the rolling part.
Wes Darklighter
|Theed|
2006-04-16, 2:10 PM #14
Dorkman's a dirty fighter.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-16, 3:10 PM #15
I always thought lightsaber fights were ridicluous, except in the original trilogy. My fencing instructor always said that there is absolutely no point in trying to swing if you aren't trying to hit the other person. For some reason people always try to hit the enemy's weapon, not the enemy themself. All these lightsaber duels are about now is flashy moves and hitting the other guy's weapon. That aside, it did look pretty damn cool, and it was pretty cool how it ended.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-16, 3:15 PM #16
The part where he through the saber up, kipped, and then caught it was utterly pointless

The thing was really well done, it's just the way they were acting and the general "nerdy" feel of it made me want to smack them and commend them at the same time
一个大西瓜
2006-04-16, 3:42 PM #17
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Must I say that this is older than time? Seriously... its truly remarkable that some one can discover something on you tube that is on 100 other sites... people... go to [url]www.theforce.net[/url] for fan films...

Yeah, I think I might have seen this before I joined Massassi, or not long afterward. :o
2006-04-16, 3:55 PM #18
Originally posted by Pommy:
The part where he through the saber up, kipped, and then caught it was utterly pointless

The thing was really well done, it's just the way they were acting and the general "nerdy" feel of it made me want to smack them and commend them at the same time

This is a really un nerdy fan film, IMO. There are a LOT nerdier ones out there.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-17, 5:30 PM #19
Originally posted by Zell:
I always thought lightsaber fights were ridicluous, except in the original trilogy. My fencing instructor always said that there is absolutely no point in trying to swing if you aren't trying to hit the other person. For some reason people always try to hit the enemy's weapon, not the enemy themself. All these lightsaber duels are about now is flashy moves and hitting the other guy's weapon. That aside, it did look pretty damn cool, and it was pretty cool how it ended.

Um...if you watch the lightsaber fights (star wars and most fan films) closely, they are trying to hit each other (as they fairly often do). You also arn't talking about your typical one-handed sword either. Furthermore, it's not like fencing where your aim is to score a direct hit to a persons chest (with a thrust). It requires more skill and tactics. You have a better chance at disabling your opponant by cutting a limb off. Keep in mind that you are also dealing with an extreamly light weapon (lighter then any typical sword). This is not to mention that it might be tactically advantagous to attacking another's lightsaber to knock it out of the way and open them up to a quick attack to their body.

There's often the complain too from so called "professional instructors" in regards to all of the fancy footwork (twirling, spinning, flipping, etc). Obviously they've never studied much Martial Arts. Martial Artist often attach flags to their weapons. These brightly colored flags become destracting in a fight and forces an opponant to track multiple items (by first filtering out the overpowering brightly colored flags and then the weapon itself). Lightsabers are similier in this fashion. Most destracting of all is that it creates a "fan" from the light it produces based on how quickly the lightsaber is being swung making it very difficult to track where the actual blade is.
"The solution is simple."
2006-04-17, 5:43 PM #20
Well then I guess I'm wrong in this respect. Also, you do know I'm talking about the prequel fight sequences, and not the OT fights? The OT fights are more slow-paced and realistic, in my opinion, and I like those. I thought the prequel fights were too flashy and fancy for my tastes, was my point.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-17, 8:10 PM #21
That was my first thought as well, in the beginning. After giving it some thought, however, the technique used in the prequals make a lot more sense. :o
"The solution is simple."
2006-04-17, 8:56 PM #22
I must say that sword play, is more than just hitting the enemy... after a while the enemy will realize your true objective, concentrate on blocking it out and use some tatic (tiring you out, hitting you where you are weak, braking your weapon) so don't alway do it that way... think and feel are a deadly combination... just don't think alot but fast.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-18, 8:03 PM #23
CaptBevvil - I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

This, and the OT less than the PT, but all of them to a major extent (and most of hollywood) does focus on hitting the sword and flashyness, more than actual technique. I fenced for about a year and a half.

"You also arn't talking about your typical one-handed sword either."
Yes, he is.. All fencing is done with a one-handed weapon. Eppe, foil, and saber are all one handed.

"Furthermore, it's not like fencing where your aim is to score a direct hit to a persons chest (with a thrust). It requires more skill and tactics. "
That's just Foil. With Eppe, you can hit anywhere from head to toe. (with a thrust) Saber you hit with the blade of the sword. Also, there is a rediculous amount more strategy and skill required in fencing than most people believe. Being really fast at swinging/stabbing a sword just doesn't cut it.

"This is not to mention that it might be tactically advantagous to attacking another's lightsaber to knock it out of the way and open them up to a quick attack to their body."
This is very true. Fencing uses this technique of knocking a sword out of the way and then attacking (when defending, it's called a parry and riposte, if memory serves). The issue a lot of people have with lightsaber duels is that when you attack, you're attacking their lightsaber, and then you keep attacking their lightsaber. Watch how, especially Anikan and Yoda, fight (they just come to mind.) It's a flurry of blows against the saber, but nothing comes after it. So it's just wasted, useless motion. If the blocking sword wasn't there, it wouldn't hit. And if they hit it out of the way, they just hit the sword again.

"There's often the complain too from so called "professional instructors" in regards to all of the fancy footwork (twirling, spinning, flipping, etc). "
No, the professionals are pretty much right. Flipping, spinning, twirling etc is pretty much horrible for sword fighting. Think about it. You're either in, or close to, stabbing range at all time. If you do a spin, or more stupidly a flip, without the aide of some supernatural, Force-like power, you can't block the stab that's going to rid you of your life. All of that flash just wastes time and exerts energy.
Connecting with the next...

"Obviously they've never studied much Martial Arts."
Fencing is very different from (most) martial arts/MA weapons. The spinning is there to gather inertia and force, and makes a more impactful blow. Spinning with nunchaku is a neccessity, to keep the motion going and to gather more force and inertia. Spinning with a sword is pretty much just clumsy.

All that being said, there are exceptions to all of that. But mostly, coming from someone who has experience in fencing and various martial arts...

Oh, yeah, And I remember when that movie first came out. A bit pre-EPII, I think... It really is a well put together fanfic.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-04-19, 4:58 PM #24
Quite impressive thought I'm waiting for the day that someone decides to make a battojitsu style lightsaber fight.

↑ Up to the top!