Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Booo Jack Thompson
Booo Jack Thompson
2006-04-18, 5:05 AM #1
You have a wonderful fan base.
2006-04-18, 7:04 AM #2
Cool. More info:

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90706
幻術
2006-04-18, 7:13 AM #3
Off CAG:

Originally posted by Visc:
Guess who frickin called me this morning with threats?

Originally posted by Visc:
He called just before 8am, unfortuneately I wan't able to get to the phone and my mother answered. Apparantly he's threatening to sue if the auction isn't pulled for fraud and defamation or something. Then called right back asking if we had his number "so our lawyer could contact him".

It seems he heard about the auction through Shrike's link from the other thread, http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/4/12/3559

Off Arstechnica (apparently):

Originally posted by jackthompson:
Glad to see that gamers finally admit they're in the Book Burners Club with Hitler. The hypocrisy of people who claim the First Amendment protects the marketing and sale of Mature-rated games like GTA to kids and then who propose to destroy a book to prove their fabulous freedom of expression credentials is hilarious.

What's next, openly doing drugs on gamers' webcams to prove again Harvard's findings last week that gamers are more likely to consume illegal drugs? Duh.

But thanks for the corroboration that the only real censors in this fight are the pixelante thug gamers.

Jack Thompson
幻術
2006-04-18, 7:51 AM #4
Yep, he invoked Godwin's.

Personally, I wish someone would do something to make him regret his stupidity. Honestly, the man belongs in a nut house.
2006-04-18, 8:05 AM #5
I'm sorry, but as usual I feel compelled to post this:

http://wikijack.ytmnd.com/
nope.
2006-04-18, 8:08 AM #6
Wow that was a phenomenally stupid straw man argument. I don't think I've seen anything that stupid even in the great '04 Massassian political flame wars.
2006-04-18, 8:09 AM #7
Oh shiznit
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-18, 8:09 AM #8
Jack, Jack, Jack... *shakes head*. No, burning a book *is* freedom of expression. Stopping books (a.k.a video games) from being produced and sold is censorship.

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Did he get beat up and have his quarters stolen in line for the Pong machine? (No, Jack, if you're reading this, it is *not* a threat by your so-called "pixelante thug gamers, though I know that is how you will take it. Your ability to twist words into something completely different from their intended meaning continues to astound us all.)
Stuff
2006-04-18, 8:25 AM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Wow that was a phenomenally stupid straw man argument. I don't think I've seen anything that stupid even in the great '04 Massassian political flame wars.

then you my lucky friend, must never had ventured into the old religous forums.

/me remebers nauree (disowned a friend for playing everquest, and general pigheaded intolerance of different idealisms), firefox (someone that fought a whole lot of fights with DoGsRuLe), thelordisjudge (think it was someones alternate account for use on the religous forums, since noone in there right mind would sign up on a star wars forum just because it had a religous debate section :rolleyes: ). and some other honerable mentions that i cant remember.

Basicly, a lot of the stuff that went on in there was a lot worse then the first controversy that you got into here. (that discussion about the kids show with a "two mums" clip that everyone thought was same sex marriage but was intended to be step mother and birth mother.)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-04-18, 8:29 AM #10
The Religious Forum should be back with me as its moderator.

Would be quite easy job, I'd just have to ban everyone posting there for few days after a thread gets to its third page. Quite cool, in fact.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-18, 8:32 AM #11
better idea, a whole forum section dedicated to politics, religion, and other types of flame war catalyst topics.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-04-18, 8:41 AM #12
If we do that, we'd need to invoke the Something Awful FYAD rule:

Posting in said forums would result in -1 post count per post.
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2006-04-18, 8:46 AM #13
Originally posted by alpha1:
better idea, a whole forum section dedicated to politics, religion, and other types of flame war catalyst topics.

But then the Discussion Forum would be abandoned.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-18, 8:57 AM #14
He isn't dead yet? Huh. You'd think with all us violent, psychotic gamers around that someone would have put a bullet in his head by now.
2006-04-18, 9:44 AM #15
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]Yep, he invoked Godwin's.[/QUOTE]

besides, didn't people agree to just let him bugger off and do his own thing, thus letting the media forget about him?
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-18, 10:46 AM #16
I wish. It had been a few months since he'd made any noise. Funny thing is, he says he's going to sue for defamation of character when there is none to speak of.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-18, 2:42 PM #17
JACK THOMPSON ON A MOTHER****ING GAME!
<.<
>.>
What?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-18, 2:46 PM #18
Just keep ignoring him, guys. It worked before, and I'll bet it still will! :D
2006-04-18, 2:49 PM #19
Originally posted by Avenger:
I wish. It had been a few months since he'd made any noise. Funny thing is, he says he's going to sue for defamation of character when there is none to speak of.

Defamation? Or character?
2006-04-18, 2:52 PM #20
I want internet fame just so I can make acusations to this guy and get one of his sue-threats.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-18, 2:59 PM #21
Originally posted by LividDK27:
Defamation? Or character?

Both, actually. :p

Still, the guy just says he is going to destroy the book. He makes no attacks on Thompson in any way.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-18, 3:05 PM #22
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I want internet fame just so I can make acusations to this guy and get one of his sue-threats.

remember, you allready have internet fame on that one forum
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-18, 3:16 PM #23
hahahah
2006-04-18, 4:56 PM #24
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
JACK THOMPSON ON A MOTHER****ING GAME!
<.<
>.>
What?

I could had swore there was a Jedi Academy skin of him.
2006-04-18, 5:01 PM #25
Didn't this person pay for the book? i.e. support Jack Thompson by paying for it..?

I understand if it was stolen (and I understand that one couldn't pubically say that) but from the surface it looks like this person supported thompson yet is going to make a show of going against him. Interesting
2006-04-18, 5:05 PM #26
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
Didn't this person pay for the book? i.e. support Jack Thompson by paying for it..?

I understand if it was stolen (and I understand that one couldn't pubically say that) but from the surface it looks like this person supported thompson yet is going to make a show of going against him. Interesting

Jack Thompson doesn't need money to do what he does. :p
2006-04-18, 5:27 PM #27
if you read the auction, you'll find that the book was a gift from a relative.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-18, 7:06 PM #28
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
if you read the auction, you'll find that the book was a gift from a relative.

ah okay, thanks

Quote:
Jack Thompson doesn't need money to do what he does.

well techinally.. hah

but it's about the principle. don't support someone you dislike or are trying to protest.
2006-04-18, 8:16 PM #29
Wait a second. Pixilante...? Is that some moronic play off "vigilante"?

That's what I like to call a shower word. You're in the shower replaying a conversation in your head, and all the sudden an awesome word/idea pops into your head. This morning, I had the idea for the "Fossilosaurus," the most feared of all dinosaurs.

A shower word/idea is often kept in the forefront of memory that day, and you use it every chance you get.

Seriously, Jack. Pixilante?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-04-18, 8:24 PM #30
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
but it's about the principle. don't support someone you dislike or are trying to protest.

Kind of a moot point now :p
D E A T H
2006-04-18, 10:51 PM #31
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Kind of a moot point now :p[/QUOTE]

hah, agreed

↑ Up to the top!