Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do lightsaber blades have weight or not?
Do lightsaber blades have weight or not?
2003-12-22, 5:52 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
That's great, but we're talking about lightsabers.

...Or, we were.

</font>

*cough* [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
...And that's the end of this.

</font>

sorry, I assumed you meant you were done talking about lightsabers and we could begin discussing whatever came up [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited December 22, 2003).]
2003-12-22, 11:45 PM #42
I read somewhere (not sure where) that the reason a lightsaber is a difficult weapon to use is because the blade is weighless (or negligable, at any rate), and it's hard to judge where it is if you can't feel it.

------------------
--Hinch
Terry Hinch's Web Comic
All opinions expressed by Hinch are the explicit views of Hinch, and only Hinch and his 7 other personalities. In the event that said personalities are in dispute, the majority shall prevail. All opinions are held in perpetuity of the present, past, and future throughout this universe, mirror universes, and all multi-verses, including alternate time lines.
In Pride,
--Hinch
I had a disclaimer here, but the man said it was too long.
2003-12-23, 3:56 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hinch1:
I read somewhere (not sure where) that the reason a lightsaber is a difficult weapon to use is because the blade is weighless (or negligable, at any rate), and it's hard to judge where it is if you can't feel it.
</font>

Most lightsaber weilders are Force-sensitive, so 'feeling' it aint really a problem [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-23, 6:18 AM #44
Wouldn't that explain why it takes a trained Jedi to weild to weapon effectively?
sigs are fun stuff
2003-12-23, 6:35 AM #45
I remember at least one source stating that the blade created a gyroscopic effect, which is really what makes it the most difficult to wield. Pick up a flashlight and swing it around, it's the same as a weightless lightsaber, and it really isn't that hard.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-12-23, 6:39 AM #46
Now that you mention that, Emon, I remember hearing that too... maybe it was from you, though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2003-12-23, 6:52 AM #47
I promised myself that I wouldn't get into this, but:

"Lightsabers tend to follow a similar basic structure, although many are very individualized by their Jedi builders. While the pure energy blade has no mass, the electromagnetically generated arc wave creates a strong gyroscopic effect that makes the lightsaber a distinct challenge to handle." -Page 6 of the Star Wars Visual Dictionary
2003-12-23, 7:29 AM #48
Hmm. The rotating electron theory would also explain the visible blade.
2003-12-23, 9:08 AM #49
Remember how Obi-Wan twirled his lightsaber around his wrist in EP1? I can't remember if he just did a plain twirl like we would, say, a stick, or if he let it loose and it spin around his wrist freely. I haven't seen it in a long time... The latter one supports the gyroscopic thing, and would suggest that a lightsaber spins by itself when thrown.

------------------
2003-12-23, 9:22 AM #50
Hmmm... now I have to watch to look for that. Thanks Emon. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

btw, what's the name of that irc server for linux that you used to tell people about?
and either update your e-mail address or remove it. i get a return stating it's no good.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-23, 9:22 AM #51
Regarding the "sound in space" question, the average particle density in a nebula ranges from 10 atoms per cubic millimeter up to 1000000 atoms per cubic millimeter. The density of air at sea level would be several orders of magnitude higher, probably around the 10^18 atoms per cubic millimeter or so. Of course, I don't remember seeing any battles taking place in nebulae in SW.

Lightsabers? I don't know much about them, other than it would be really cool to have one.

------------------
"I'm more neutrally charged than YOU are" - BV
Stuff
2003-12-23, 10:55 AM #52
irc.openprojects.net, or maybe it changed, but irc.linux.org should forward you to whatever it is.

------------------
2003-12-23, 11:00 AM #53
Thanks.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-23, 11:35 AM #54
Just so I don't appear to be a rambling fool, I'd like to explain my previous post. In The Secret of Monkey Island, if you were to say that to someone, they would reply with "first you'd better stop waving it around like a featherduster".

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Pick up a flashlight and swing it around, it's the same as a weightless lightsaber, and it really isn't that hard.</font>

I'm not arguing the rest of what you said, but a weightless blade would make it difficult because it would be hard not to hit yourself. You could swing it in a very limited arc, but you'd have to be careful not to hit yourself.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love

↑ Up to the top!