Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the most reliable cd audio recorder
the most reliable cd audio recorder
2006-04-22, 11:49 AM #1
i have yet to lose a cd to windows media player.
typically with nero and nti i lose 1 in 3 cd's to failed burning. so i bought some cd-rw's.
but i've never lost a cd to wmp.
2006-04-22, 11:56 AM #2
Heh recording cds is so 2001.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-22, 11:57 AM #3
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]i have yet to lose a cd to windows media player.
typically with nero and nti i lose 1 in 3 cd's to failed burning. so i bought some cd-rw's.
but i've never lost a cd to wmp.[/QUOTE]

Probably because it doesn't burn at full speed on many PCs :p
2006-04-22, 12:07 PM #4
Don't burn at full speed Evad. Nero.
D E A T H
2006-04-22, 1:17 PM #5
I always burn at full speed and have never had an attempt fail. I wasn't even aware that failed burns were common.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-22, 1:24 PM #6
Originally posted by Detty:
I always burn at full speed and have never had an attempt fail. I wasn't even aware that failed burns were common.

Same here. :confused:

Nero ftw. I hate how wmp puts spaces between tracks. Ruins many albums if you ask me. (i.e. Pink Floyd)
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-04-22, 1:28 PM #7
iTunes hasn't faulted me yet.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-22, 1:46 PM #8
Originally posted by Wolfy:
\
2006-04-22, 2:28 PM #9
Let's see, I've used iTunes, WMP, Nero and they have never given me trouble.

I still prefer Nero over everything though.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-22, 2:51 PM #10
iTunes and Toast work great for me. Never had a failed burn.

On WinXP I always used Nero without any problems either, at full speed and reduced (4x) speeds.
2006-04-22, 6:52 PM #11
i've used nero at several different speeds and i always get failures. my friends report the same. i've also even tried different disc manufacturers. still crap.
2006-04-22, 6:54 PM #12
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]i've used nero at several different speeds and i always get failures. my friends report the same. i've also even tried different disc manufacturers. still crap.[/QUOTE]

Then it's your PCs that are sucking. Because Nero (As you can tell by this thread) is very highly regarded. Windows' burning software is mediocre at best.
2006-04-22, 7:06 PM #13
Originally posted by Wolfy:

2006-04-22, 8:01 PM #14
Quote:
Then it's your PCs that are sucking. Because Nero (As you can tell by this thread) is very highly regarded. Windows' burning software is mediocre at best.

hmmm... but betwen the 2 computers at work (both have nero on them) and my home comp, wmp has yet to make a coaster. nero has made coasters on all three computers (except i'm using cd-rw's now so when it fails i just erase and copy again).

the media i've used has always been budget stuff. usually a brand i've never heard of. always different brands though. except for the last spindle i bought which was a brand name (i'm not at home so i can't check).

all three burners i've personally owned and the 2 at work have all worked the same. coaster makers.
as a matter of fact i went a bought a new burner 6 months ago because for awhile there i was losing 1/2 discs burning at different speeds and different file types for different reasons. with the new LG dvd burner i got the same results. when i bought the brand name cd-r's the failure rate went down to 1 in 3.
even at 15 cents each it's still making landfill and i hate that.
2006-04-22, 8:06 PM #15
It sounds like Evad has having some trouble with the pre-keyboard interface.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-22, 8:23 PM #16
i'm not sure if that's a jab, a poke or a joke... i don't get it.
2006-04-22, 8:49 PM #17
I have no problem burning data CDs in Nero on full speed. But music CDs are a whole other story; I always get buffer underruns when burning on full speed, but I'm sure it's just my crappy drive.
2006-04-22, 8:49 PM #18
Ever since I bought my latest DVD-RW burner, I've never burned a coaster. Ever.
2006-04-24, 1:19 PM #19
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]i'm not sure if that's a jab, a poke or a joke... i don't get it.[/QUOTE]
It means your problem is due to user error. Ergo, you are a moron.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-24, 1:55 PM #20
i see. so the old put blank cd in, start nero, select audio cd, select mp3's, click finish, select burn speed (several different speeds for trials) is for morons.

ok genius, tell me how to use nero.
2006-04-24, 2:08 PM #21
1) Don't use it at full speed. Use it at half the rated speed, at least.

2) Don't use sarcasm. It doesn't help you in using programs. Believe it or not.

3) Don't use ****ty CDs
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 2:18 PM #22
Quote:
the media i've used has always been budget stuff. usually a brand i've never heard of. always different brands though. except for the last spindle i bought which was a brand name (i'm not at home so i can't check).

all three burners i've personally owned and the 2 at work have all worked the same. coaster makers.
as a matter of fact i went a bought a new burner 6 months ago because for awhile there i was losing 1/2 discs burning at different speeds and different file types for different reasons. with the new LG dvd burner i got the same results. when i bought the brand name cd-r's the failure rate went down to 1 in 3.
even at 15 cents each it's still making landfill and i hate that.

different brands. latest spindle name brand is imation.
different speeds. 4 throught to 52x.
1 in 3 are coasters.
my old crappy comp. the brand new one at work. the middle of the road one at work.
nero makes coasters.

wmp has never made a coaster for me.
2006-04-24, 3:03 PM #23
Whenever I burn CDs at 52x I get a 90% failure rate. Burning at 12x drops it down to 0%.

I don't burn many CDs now because there's not much point, since I can only fit maybe 3 TV episodes on one CD. If I had a DVD burner I would consider burning some of my stuff to disc.

2006-04-24, 3:25 PM #24
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]different brands. latest spindle name brand is imation.
different speeds. 4 throught to 52x.
1 in 3 are coasters.
my old crappy comp. the brand new one at work. the middle of the road one at work.
nero makes coasters.

wmp has never made a coaster for me.[/QUOTE]
Nero has NEVER made a coaster for me. Not since Nero 2. Nero 5+ (well 6+ if you have a DVD burner) works perfectly.

Like you said, you buy cheapass CDs. Also, don't do anything in the background--that will severely increase your chance of a coaster.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 3:33 PM #25
ahh... good point. i'll have to test that. sometimes i do background stuff sometimes i don't. i'll see if there's a correlation.
and come to think of it, sometimes when i burn podcasts at work the same comp is running a spectrophotomerter at the same time.
2006-04-24, 3:46 PM #26
well sure.. it's that spectrophotomerter that's causing problems...

>.>

Anyway, I rarely have problems with Nero on either my computer (which has a crappy HP 8x burner) or on my friend's computer (which has a nice (Acer, I think) 32x burner).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-24, 3:47 PM #27
if i'm making a backup i rip the original with EAC and burn it with EAC

if i'm burning a mix i'll use sonic foundry... i mean sony cd architect
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!