Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nail gun "accident" >_<
Nail gun "accident" >_<
2006-04-23, 12:48 PM #1
Possible Warning: Somewhat cringeworthy to the squeamish folk.

Quote:
Doc's diagnosis: Nail gun caused headache
12 nails found in the man's skull, he suffered no lasting effects

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 9:42 p.m. EDT (01:42 GMT)

----------------------------------

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- An Oregon man who went to a hospital complaining of a headache was found to have 12 nails embedded in his skull from a suicide attempt with a nail gun, doctors say.

Surgeons removed the nails with needle-nosed pliers and a drill, and the man survived with no serious lasting effects, according to a report on the medical oddity in the current issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery.

The unidentified 33-year-old man was suicidal and high on methamphetamine last year when he fired the nails -- up to 2 inches in length -- into his head one by one.

The nails were not visible when doctors first examined the man in the emergency room of an unidentified Oregon hospital a day later. Doctors were surprised when X-rays revealed six nails clustered between his right eye and ear , two below his right ear and four on the left side of his head.

The study did not say how long the nails were, and a hospital spokeswoman refused to release that information. A photo published in the study suggests the nails range from 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

No one before is known to have survived after intentionally firing so many foreign objects into the head, according to the report, written by Dr. G. Alexander West, the neurosurgeon who oversaw the treatment of the patient.

The man at first told doctors he had had a nail gun accident, but later admitted it was a suicide attempt.

The nails came close to major blood vessels and the brain stem but did not pierce them. The patient was in remarkably good condition when he was transferred to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, where the nails were removed.

The patient was later transferred to psychiatric care and stayed under court order for nearly a month before leaving against doctors' orders.

@ the Red text... how could you not notice 6 1 1/2 to 2 inch nails between someones eye and ear?!?!

Holy Hell. Reminds me of some guy a year or so back who fell off a ladder onto an 18 inch drill bit, which went thru his eye socket and his head, but just pushed the brain aside and didn't puncture it.
2006-04-23, 12:52 PM #2
moral of the story, use longer nails
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-23, 12:56 PM #3
Smells like urban legend. Source?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-23, 1:00 PM #4
Originally posted by Emon:
Smells like urban legend. Source?

2006-04-23, 1:15 PM #5
I saw the X-Rays of the guy on CNN last night
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-23, 1:19 PM #6
Brings a whole new meaning to

NAILFACE!
2006-04-23, 1:21 PM #7
Yeah, it's a CNN article, as well: http://search.cnn.com/pages/search.jsp?query=nail%20gun

first result
2006-04-23, 1:23 PM #8
Ah, Snopes has the 18 inch drill bit story:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/drillbit.asp

no graphic images, only the x-ray
2006-04-23, 2:01 PM #9
Wrong snope story.
2006-04-23, 2:04 PM #10
I did it.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-23, 2:13 PM #11
Renard?
2006-04-23, 2:23 PM #12
Originally posted by saberopus:
how could you not notice 6 1 1/2 to 2 inch nails between someones eye and ear?!?!

If he shot himself last *year*, it's possible skin/hair could've grown over it, hiding them.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-23, 3:39 PM #13
moral of the story is more like "when its not your time its not your time, and when it is, he woulda died by like cutting himself with the nail and getting an infection"

if all those nails didnt do it, well he's got more to do on this earth, or he's meant to die tripping down stairs or something like that...or as an old man comfy in his bed (sounds a bit titanic'ish)
2006-04-23, 3:40 PM #14
Faith in human race: -25 points
Total faith in human race: -764,042
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-23, 3:59 PM #15
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Faith in human race: -25 points
Total faith in human race: -764,042

Bloody optimist!
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2006-04-23, 4:56 PM #16
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Brings a whole new meaning to

NAILFACE! [/QUOTE]

i knew someone was going to say it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-04-23, 5:04 PM #17
Originally posted by Morpheus:
Bloody optimist!

Well, if someone's going to exaggerate how much time we have left on this earth, it sure as hell better be in the form of statistics.

Seriously though, things like this make me realize what a ****ty time period I was born into.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-23, 5:46 PM #18
Originally posted by saberopus:
Ah, Snopes has the 18 inch drill bit story:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/drillbit.asp

no graphic images, only the x-ray

Originally posted by Anovis:
Wrong snope story.

nope ;)
2006-04-23, 5:55 PM #19

NAILFACE! [/QUOTE]

Taking the name of the NAILFACE in vaine...you're pushing your luck little man.
Attachment: 11521/NAILFACE2.JPG (45,448 bytes)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-23, 6:01 PM #20

NAILFACE! [/QUOTE]

*********!

I WANTED TO DO IT.

:(
2006-04-24, 9:42 AM #21
I am not surprised by this story at all. It's been done. For example, that dude who shot a railroad spike right in one side of his head and out the other who lived for 5 more years...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-24, 10:17 AM #22
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
*********!

I WANTED TO DO IT.

:(

YOU ARE 500 YEAR TOO SLOW, GRASSHOPPA!
2006-04-24, 10:18 AM #23
"Working for Davik was like driving a spike through the side of your head. Sure, you get something new in there, but in the end you've lost something as well."
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!