Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Grammar help, LOL.
Grammar help, LOL.
2006-04-23, 3:31 PM #1
This sentence feels wrong:

Quote:
She liked water, but when every time you'd feel like looking up while standing on any street of the underwater city all you could see is water, nothing but lots and lots of water behind thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass, it could make anyone feel sick of it time to time.

Full paragraph:

Quote:
Paradoxically, but while living in a city hundreds of meters under the ocean surface, the only contact with water Jashea had, apart from her drinking water rations, was when she was feeding her fish. She liked water, but when every time you'd feel like looking up while standing on any street of the underwater city all you could see is water, nothing but lots and lots of water behind thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass, it could make anyone feel sick of it time to time. Most people didn't own fish - why? All you had to do is look up. But then, of course, most people never looked up. Sometimes Jashea, a civil engineer, felt that their entire city is an aquarium just like the one she had in her flat, only bigger, and that she was helping shape it.

Any ideas for a fix that'd make it sound not so broken? Thanks!
幻術
2006-04-23, 3:42 PM #2
Yes, and incidentially, the paragraph itself needs fixing too.

Quote:
Paradoxically, (remove "but" here) while living in a city hundreds of meters under the ocean surface, the only contact with water Jashea had, apart from her drinking water rations, was when she was feeding her fish. She liked water, but (remove "when" here) every time you'd feel like looking up (comma) while standing on any street of the underwater city (comma) all you could see is water (peroid, not a comma) N othing but lots and lots of water behind thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass (peroid, not a comma) I t could make anyone feel sick of it time to time. Most people didn't own fish (peroid, not a dash) W hy? All you had to do is look up. But then, of course, most people never looked up. Sometimes Jashea, a civil engineer, felt that their entire city (replace "is" with "was" here) an aquarium just like the one she had in her flat, only bigger, and that she was helping shape it.

Your major problem, with the one sentence in particular, was run-on sentences. It comes from being addicted to commas. ;) Remember KISS -- keep it simple, stupid. :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-04-23, 3:43 PM #3
Geb hit the nail on the head.

Gawd I hate editing someone else's writing...
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-23, 3:44 PM #4
"She liked water, but every time you looked up from a street in the underwater city, you would be reminded of just how much water there was above you, held up only by the thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass. It made her naseous from time to time."

Eh. It's not going to win a Pulitzer but it's better than what you got.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-04-23, 3:51 PM #5
Edited my post, to use a better color and clear up the tags. I was trying to use strikeout, but it wasn't working. [s]Maybe this works?[/s] Or how about this? Eh, whatever.
2006-04-23, 3:56 PM #6
Thanks, Geb. :p
幻術
2006-04-23, 4:25 PM #7
Originally posted by Gebohq:
run-on sentences

Sorry; pet peeve of mine, but what he had was not a run-on sentence. Run-on sentences only occur when you've joined multiple independent clauses in an ungrammatical way (i.e. "Caesar smelled funny he was killed on the day after Pi Day"). The problem has nothing to do with length, and all of Koobie's clauses were tacked on in a grammatical way.

Breaking it up by periods is more of a stylistic thing. Here's my go at it, trying to clarify but leave it as unchanged as possible:

She liked water, but any time you'd be standing on a street and feel like looking up, all you'd see was water--nothing but lots and lots of water behind thick pressure resistant walls of reinforced glass--and that could make anyone feel sick of it, from time to time.

The rest of Geb's comments I agree 100% with.
2006-04-23, 4:36 PM #8
Actually, you make a good point there, Vorsky. Anyway, I'm not sure if I broke it up in a way that kept it grammatically correct. I've been feeling sort of groggy today, so... yeah.
2006-04-23, 4:42 PM #9
*shrug*

Looked grammatically fine to me; I just didn't think it had the same feel as the original while broken up like that.

By the way, didn't both of you (Geb & Koobie) visit Merlin's Discussion Forum way back in the day?
2006-04-23, 5:28 PM #10
Originally posted by Vornsk:
By the way, didn't both of you (Geb & Koobie) visit Merlin's Discussion Forum way back in the day?

As far as I can recall, the only discussion board me and Geb were on together (quite) a long time ago was Highemperor's "High Citadel". But I can't say for sure, I used to post occasionally on 10+ writing-related ezBoards and was a regular member of 3 or 4 of them.

The name does sound sort of familiar though.

Also, thanks for your take on the sentence.
幻術
2006-04-23, 5:35 PM #11
Koobie probably made a couple posts there. I visited Merlin's back when it was up and around, as well as Highemperor's, Krig's and some others. I still keep contact with Merlin via e-mail, and I haven't heard from Highemperor in some time :(
2006-04-23, 6:17 PM #12
Geb, never... EVER use "KISS" in my presence. EVER.

My chemistry teacher used to say that all the time, and I hate him... WITH A PASSION.
2006-04-23, 6:39 PM #13
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Geb, never... EVER use "KISS" in my presence. EVER.

My chemistry teacher used to say that all the time, and I hate him... WITH A PASSION.[/QUOTE]

Just because you hate the guy doesn't mean he don't speak truth. :p
2006-04-24, 12:14 AM #14
If you're trying to say that looking up and seeing nothing but water could make anyone feel sick of it..

(I went the opposite path of most people on this thread and changed it a bit more, because I didn't like the flow of the original =/)

Quote:
She liked water, but if from any street of the underwater city all you could see was water -- nothing but lots and lots of water behind thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass -- you'd feel sick of it, too, from time to time

I got rid of "whenever you felt like looking up". That and the standing on the street detail together was a bit too much. One or the other would be better. (Also, "you" goes better with another "you" at the end imo instead of a shift to "Everybody")
一个大西瓜
2006-04-24, 1:42 AM #15
Originally posted by Acharjay:
"She liked water, but every time you looked up from a street in the underwater city, you would be reminded of just how much water there was above you, held up only by the thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass. It made her naseous from time to time."

This one is my favorite so far, but I would change it so that it uses "she" or "you" more consistently. So make the last sentence "It could make you naseous [from time to time]", or replace "you" with "she/her".
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-24, 1:47 AM #16
Holy run-on sentences, Batman!

I completely re-wrote the paragraph. Hope that's ok.

Despite living in a city hundreds of meters under the ocean surface, Jashea's only contact with water was drinking rations or when she fed her fish. She liked water, but every time she looked skywards all she saw was water, nothing but lots and lots of the blue liquid held back by thick pressure-resistant walls of reinforced glass. It was enough make anyone feel sick of water eventually.

Most people didn't own fish, you need only look up to see nature's own aquarium. But most people never looked up. They moved around the city streets unmindful of the vast world outside the glass walls. It reminded Jashea of the fish in her fish tank.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-24, 7:04 AM #17
Rewritten very well, Spork. The original paragraph made my brain hurt.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2006-04-24, 9:07 AM #18
I like Spork's rendition too, but I don't like this sentence.

Quote:
Most people didn't own fish, you need only look up to see nature's own aquarium.

There needs to be a conjunction between these two independent clauses. I would go with:

Quote:
Most people didn't own fish, because they need only look up to see nature's own aquarium.

Remember, if you are separating two independent clauses, a conjunction is desirable. A period would work as well. A semicolon or em-dash could be used, but it would make me hate you.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-24, 7:05 PM #19
Heh I did have a semi-colon there; but decided it didnt look good. Also it's already got 'But most people never looked up' and ' It reminded Jashea of the fish in her fish tank' as short catchy senteces for that paragraph. If there are teo many short sentences then they all lose some drama.

I also hate this bit:

'water, nothing but lots and lots'

But decided to leave like that to preserve some of Koobie's writing style.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-24, 10:22 PM #20
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Yes, and incidentially, the paragraph itself needs fixing too.

Your major problem, with the one sentence in particular, was run-on sentences. It comes from being addicted to commas. ;) Remember KISS -- keep it simple, stupid. :)

Teachers use KISS?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-25, 1:53 AM #21
Originally posted by Echoman:
Teachers use KISS?

Ask CoolMatty -- he's apparently got the teachers who use it. I forget where I got it from.

↑ Up to the top!