Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oblivion?
Oblivion?
2006-04-23, 6:31 PM #1
What exactly is this game all about? What kind of game is it? Everyone says it's really good.... why's it good exactly?

Should I get it?
>>untie shoes
2006-04-23, 6:36 PM #2
Get it, but don't be a fool like I was: wait until after exams are finished.

On a related topic, I just beat the main quest today! Haha it's so awesome now that everyone loves me; a guard caught me stealing and was just like "well you basicically saved the world so I'll let you get away with it".
Stuff
2006-04-23, 7:09 PM #3
It's a monumental RPG of epic proportions! :)

- You get intense, real-time, truely kinetic combat (where you swing/shoot is where you hit)

Havoc physics - I picked up a skull, threw it in the air and then hit it with my sword and it went flying! Home run! :p

Radiant AI - Gives each of the 1000 NPCs in the game, a life. They go eat, sleep, visit the local tavern or shop, talk to each other, close down their shops for the night, raid a dungeon, pickpocket a hapless citizen, or maybe just kill. You can interact with all these NPCs aswell.

Graphics - ets just say no game does forests and open landscapes like Oblivion. Think Far Cry x100.

Huge open ended world and gameplay - Do what you want, went you want. Don't wanna follow the main quest? Don't! I haven't, and I've been playing for well over 30 hours.

I dunno if that helped, I'm in a rush to get out the door before my friends get pissed :p.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-23, 7:39 PM #4
So get it?

Sweet.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-23, 8:35 PM #5
Ever hear that song Soopa Feen by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien? That's describing an Oblivion addict. Methamphetamines are just a euphemism for Oblivion.

Seriously.
D E A T H
2006-04-23, 9:00 PM #6
Yeah it sounds like I might like it... I want more though...

Make a list. You know......... "this is something i love about this game. buy it."
>>untie shoes
2006-04-23, 9:03 PM #7
Graphics--keep you immersed in the world.

Audio--beautiful, beautiful audio work. Every conversation voice-acted. Interactivity between NPCs voice-acted.

Gameplay--so fun. Not quite as awesome as Fable, but it's much improved over morrowind (no element of chance, a lot more action-oriented). Keeps you immersed. And the mini-games (lockpicking, speechcraft) really add depth...surprisingly.

Storyline--Pretty good. As is expected from Elder Scrolls.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 1:58 AM #8
It's like every other fantasy-themed RPG you've ever played, but they got it almost exactly right.

Get it. Now.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-24, 2:14 AM #9
Too bad Radiant AI is just a bunch of schedules with no dynamic what so ever, like in Gothic 1. :(
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-04-24, 7:20 AM #10
Originally posted by Spork:
It's like every other fantasy-themed RPG you've ever played, but they got it almost exactly right.

Get it. Now.

Is there a lot of armor and swords and such? That always bugged me about a lot of rpg games. There was never enough stuff to make your character really feel like YOUR character.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 7:36 AM #11
there's a range of standard armors which you can then enchant however you like
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-24, 8:23 AM #12
Originally posted by Bill:
Is there a lot of armor and swords and such? That always bugged me about a lot of rpg games. There was never enough stuff to make your character really feel like YOUR character.

There's light armor and heavy armor with something like 6 or 7 sub-classes of each, plus countless pieces of unique armor. In the way of weapons there's one and two-handed swords, daggers, one and two-handed axes, maces, staves, bows, or you can just use your fists. There's also 2 classes of magic which include offensive spells.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-24, 8:31 AM #13
Alright... I went out and got it only to be frustrated by a strange bug or something.

It gives me an error message when the game starts saying something about "entry point not found." It also says there is a problem with a dll or something... I'm attempting to reinstall all of my drivers. I think that may be the problem because I just did a fresh install of windows 2000.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 8:41 AM #14
As it turns out... There must be a serious problem with my machine here. I reinstalled my video card driver and directx only to find out that NONE of my games work anymore. So it's not just oblivion... it must be an issue with my computer.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 8:47 AM #15
This is the error I get. If I click ok it brings up the game launcher, but will only let me click on a few of the buttons. If I click play, a small window comes up and I get the same error and then it says "failed to initialize render" and below that it says "GetAdapterDesc() failed."

Any ideas?
Attachment: 11523/error_message.jpg (38,814 bytes)
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 9:20 AM #16
Uninstall all your drivers, use driver cleaner (NOT FOR CHIPSET DRIVERS), reinstall all your drivers.

Should work. Reinstall DX too.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 11:41 AM #17
Set your computer on a cinder block. Open fire. Now get a new computer.

-Oblivion's worth it.
2006-04-24, 11:42 AM #18
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uninstall all your drivers, use driver cleaner (NOT FOR CHIPSET DRIVERS), reinstall all your drivers.

Should work. Reinstall DX too.[/QUOTE]
Didn't work.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 12:10 PM #19
Alright... new development here.... I downloaded that GDI32 dll to replace it... Apparantly windows doesn't want me to replace the file. It tells me the file is in use and there's no way for me to copy over it.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 12:12 PM #20
There are programs out there that help you figure out what you need to do to unlock said programs. One I think is called simply Unlocker.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 12:17 PM #21
I'm thinking of getting it. I've heard it needs a beastly system to run. How well would it run on a 9800 Pro (1gb pc3200 ram, AMD xp 2800)?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-04-24, 12:22 PM #22
I'm reading more about it, and as it turns out, microsoft has released a patch to fix the problem I'm having with this dll because there's some sort of exploit possible using this file... So I'm getting the patch and I'm gonna see if that works.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 12:58 PM #23
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
I'm thinking of getting it. I've heard it needs a beastly system to run. How well would it run on a 9800 Pro (1gb pc3200 ram, AMD xp 2800)?

Pretty ok, if you run low draw distance on grass or turn it off. I'm on a 9550SE/1GB RAM/+3000 A64 can and it gets by ok if I disable the grass.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-04-24, 12:59 PM #24
Microsoft's patch did not work. I am running out of ideas.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 1:18 PM #25
what if you run the game directly without the launcher?

Quote:
Pretty ok, if you run low draw distance on grass or turn it off. I'm on a 9550SE/1GB RAM/+3000 A64 can and it gets by ok if I disable the grass.

Thanks. I'll probably get it when i have the money :)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-04-24, 1:35 PM #26
Originally posted by Simbachu:
Too bad Radiant AI is just a bunch of schedules with no dynamic what so ever, like in Gothic 1. :(

You just haven't played it enough. Lot's of interesting things happen if you have a sharp eye.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-24, 1:37 PM #27
Heh, on the Thieves Guild mission with all the guards at the waterside, 3 pairs of watchmen came together within half a second and asked the same questions of each other, and all responded with the same question. It was creepy and dumb all at the same time :D Great game though.
2006-04-24, 2:45 PM #28
Woohoo.. I got it working. It took a lot of crap, but finally all of my stuff works. As it turns out, it was an error related to the fact that I recently did a repair install of windows 2000. It causes the wrong dll to be copied and you have to unzip all of the files from the direct x 9.0 installer and replace them individually.

It sucked.

But this game is pretty cool. This damn first area is dark, though. I think I'll like it much better once I get outside.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-24, 2:47 PM #29
Before leaving, I'd suggest waiting (with T) until the clock says it's daytime. My first escape from the sewer was severely underwhelming due to it being in the middle of the night :(
2006-04-24, 3:25 PM #30
Originally posted by Sol:
You just haven't played it enough. Lot's of interesting things happen if you have a sharp eye.

Yes, interesting things happen, but none of them are dynamic. They're all scripted in schedules.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-04-24, 3:27 PM #31
Originally posted by Simbachu:
Yes, interesting things happen, but none of them are dynamic. They're all scripted in schedules.

No. There are dynamic occurrences--murders, robberies, etc. I've seen pirates fight the guards on a whim before.
D E A T H
2006-04-25, 7:16 PM #32
OK I dont know if this has become the new "official" oblivion thread, but anyway...

I did the quest where you get some kind of necklace from Pale Pass for the count of Bruma. Well after battling and killing about 15 ogres, 7 skeletons, and a few of those weird treebranch handed ladies (who summon bears), and a whisp (god I hate whisps more than anything!), I got tired of slaying my enemies. So midway into the dungeon I just start running for it, kill the ghost guy protecting the necklace, swipe the necklace, and run out the dungeon. Outside the dungeon were a few ogres who I had snuck past, but now that I'm running, they are alert to my presence. So I just ran and ran, and ogres are so slow they cant keep up at all.

I ran all the way back to bruma, turned in the necklace for my reward, and realized it was about 2am in the game, and I needed some repair hammers to fix my armor. But I notice the dramatic battle music is still playing, despite the fact that I am in the middle of Bruma with guards and townsfolk going about their business. So when I try to "wait" until the local repair shop opens, it says "you cannot wait while enemies are nearbye." So I go to my house in Bruma, try to go to sleep, it says "you cannot sleep while enemies are nearbye." So I'm like great, now I cant repair my armor, maybe I'll go outside and see if the ogres are outside the gates or something. I go out, they are nowhere to be found. So I just start heading south toward imperial city. Once I get to the Market district, it's at least past 8:30 AM in the game. So I buy some repair hammers from "Slash 'n' Smash" (me and the orc there have a good working relationship) and start to try to repair my gear. Then it says "you cannot repair equipment while enemies are nearbye."

Friggin BS man, I've run halfway across the map from those ogres, its been over 6 "in game" hours... THEY ARE NOT NEARBYE. I go into sneak mode and the cursor is dim, meaning NOTHING KNOWS WHERE I AM.

So I give up with this stupid bug. Does anyone know a "cheat" (not really a cheat if I'm using it to combat a bug...) that will turn off my "enemies nearbye" status? This is really quite frustrating.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-04-25, 7:26 PM #33
Temporarily turn down the difficulty to easiest and go kill them. 10 minutes of playtime.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-04-25, 7:28 PM #34
Something like that happened to me once. I just left the game on while I did other stuff. When I came back, I was able to wait and sleep again.

You know you didn't have to kill the ghost guy, right? If you had helped him, all of the skeletons would have died right away, because their spirits would have finally been at peace.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-25, 7:47 PM #35
im stuck in the vampire cave thing. that one with the purple glowing sword is tough as hell
2006-04-25, 7:58 PM #36
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Something like that happened to me once. I just left the game on while I did other stuff. When I came back, I was able to wait and sleep again.

You know you didn't have to kill the ghost guy, right? If you had helped him, all of the skeletons would have died right away, because their spirits would have finally been at peace.[/QUOTE]

Well I was in the mood to be a ******* and get pushy with people, so I just said "I've come for the medallion" and that was enough to make him go "dont talk to me like that! wraa!"
2006-04-25, 9:29 PM #37
i'm enjoying it so far, and i thought morrowind was the boringest game ever. well, that is after Asylum.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-25, 9:49 PM #38
I've just started a new character. A female this time, for variety.
Stuff
2006-04-25, 11:37 PM #39
Originally posted by kyle90:
I've just started a new character. A female this time, for variety.

And boobies, right?

*undresses female corpse* *drools*
2006-04-26, 12:20 AM #40
ugh. thats the only thing i dont like about this game. theres something wonkey with the textures on womens faces. they all look diseased or something.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM

↑ Up to the top!