Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why?!?!?!
Why?!?!?!
2006-04-24, 6:39 PM #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4940506.stm

Why in hell is EGYPT being attacked? Do they even have a good army?
2006-04-24, 6:40 PM #2
Probobly because we're allies with Egypt.
2006-04-24, 6:44 PM #3
Were allies [Sorta] with China too. How come they dpn't get any attacks? Or do they just cover it up?
2006-04-24, 6:45 PM #4
We each have our own moment of silence to remember those lost in this tragic accident :(
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-24, 6:48 PM #5
Originally posted by petmc20:
We each have our own moment of silence to remember those lost in this tragic accident :(

Accident? don't you mean "Attack"
2006-04-24, 6:49 PM #6
Sorry, I tend to use accident where it shouldn't be, but that's beside the point.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-24, 6:49 PM #7
No offense, but please stop posting the news on here for us. If it's something cool/interesting, that's fine, but you've posted like 3 news threads, all basically covering **** that's been reported for months now. It's annoying. Seriously.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 6:52 PM #8
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4937840.stm

How bout that?
2006-04-24, 6:52 PM #9
How mature.
D E A T H
2006-04-24, 6:53 PM #10
Oh comeon yoshi atleast its a discussable topic.
2006-04-24, 7:00 PM #11
Quote:
Why in hell is EGYPT being attacked? Do they even have a good army?

1. A nation does not require a good army to make itself vulnerable to attack. In fact, quite the opposite is usually the case.

2. Egypt is one of the few Arab nations that has, to some degree, acknowledged the legitimacy of Israel as a state.

3. Terrorists don't only attack Americans and certainly do not constitute a single entity. They most likely have their own regional agenda.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-04-24, 8:37 PM #12
Terrorist like to spread terror whether it's in Egypt, America, or some other country. I don't think they care, as long as some innocent people die.
2006-04-24, 8:40 PM #13
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Were allies [Sorta] with China too. How come they dpn't get any attacks? Or do they just cover it up?

Because

1.) China has the LARGEST standing army in the world.
2.) China has nukes, and they would most likely retaliate using nukes?

You attack China they ain't gonna be friendly when they come back to you.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-24, 9:29 PM #14
There is no gain in attacking China. It's not a theater of muslim extremism and does not actively oppose it. The closest place that gets attacked is the Philippines, which has the largest Muslim population by proportion outside the Middle East.
2006-04-24, 10:09 PM #15
Is it me or is Tiberium_Empire is just trying to start a gaint political thread by picking random stories from CNN? I think we can check the news ourselves.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-25, 2:47 AM #16
There have been spates of attacks in Egypt for a couple of years now. Maybe the US doesn't hear much about it but since it's a popular holiday destination for Brits, we hear all about it every time.
They often attack tourists, it's pretty obvious that extremists in Egypt, unable to take the terrorism to our shores, are attacking the West on their own soil.
2006-04-25, 3:39 AM #17
Originally posted by THRAWN:
Because

1.) China has the LARGEST standing army in the world.
2.) China has nukes, and they would most likely retaliate using nukes?

You attack China they ain't gonna be friendly when they come back to you.

Hahahaha.

*Sigh* Yeah, China has a few thousands more troops than the U.S., but the U.S. is capable of transporting all of them. China on the other hand...

Any single nation stands a better chance against China than they do against the U.S. or Russia. China isn't all that threatening. Especially to groups that don't claim any one nation as their home. Grismath began to scratch the surface with his point #2.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-25, 4:10 AM #18
I didn't think Russia had an army to be worried about since the collapse of the Soviet Union? They conscript their men, treat them like dirt, let ridiculous amounts of bullying go on and then throw them into the Chechnyan meat grinder.
2006-04-25, 4:23 AM #19
Originally posted by Recusant:
They often attack tourists, it's pretty obvious that extremists in Egypt, unable to take the terrorism to our shores, are attacking the West on their own soil.

Yeah. And they also try to kill the tourism industry itself, because it would lessen the ties to the rest of the world - increase isolation, that is, and increase poverty. Isolation and poverty would help the terrorist masterminds to gain more support and people into their ranks so that their business of terror would grow stronger.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-04-25, 5:50 PM #20
Egypt is convenient to get to.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-04-25, 5:55 PM #21
I didn't think Russia had an army to be worried about since the collapse of the Soviet Union? They conscript their men, treat them like dirt, let ridiculous amounts of bullying go on and then throw them into the Chechnyan meat grinder.

No, I didn't word that last bit right. I meant in means of nuclear retaliation...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-25, 6:02 PM #22
And that's the big question. Do they still have all those nukes? And if not, where have they gone?
2006-04-25, 6:04 PM #23
Even Chavs could invade China, they wouldnt stand a chance.

Anyway, about the bombing.

WHyyyy? Dont these terrorists have anything better to do?

I have a question for the terrorists.

"so, you kill and maim people, even your own people, in the name of Islam...
Now, cos i are an infidel, i obviously know nothing of anything outside the west, but i hear... that Islam.... is a religion built upon the teachings of the Quran.

here's the bit that really tickles me...

In the Quran, there are 2 scentances that really are interesting.

1# There is no compulsity in religion

and...

2# Thou shalt not kill....

So, care to explain how you fight for Islam??"

Translated: Terrorists are idiots.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-25, 6:08 PM #24

We also have some of the best high-tech tanks and missiles. But, em, yeah. The state of the actual army is pretty much how you described it. Doesn't make them bad soldiers, though. Most of the guys who went through Chechnya are friggin' hardcore, in all the bad ways imagineable.
幻術
2006-04-25, 6:25 PM #25
And that's the big question. Do they still have all those nukes? And if not, where have they gone?

They have more nuclear weapons than they let the U.S. know about. And visaversa.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-26, 12:05 PM #26
Originally posted by Koobie:
We also have some of the best high-tech tanks and missiles. But, em, yeah. The state of the actual army is pretty much how you described it. Doesn't make them bad soldiers, though. Most of the guys who went through Chechnya are friggin' hardcore, in all the bad ways imagineable.

And we in Finland still base our entire military force and conscription laws on the assumption that Russia will eventually invade us with lots of WW2 tanks and ****loads of poorly trained men. Sure, I enjoy the occasional nostalgia, but this is just ridiculous in all its denial of reality on our part :rolleyes:
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2006-04-26, 12:44 PM #27
I would not join any military. Especially if it was compulsory. Screw them. In Finland they'd put me in jail for six months after which I'd go on with my life. The mandatory military service there is one year. You do the math.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-26, 12:47 PM #28
THE ENEMY COMES FROM THE EAST.

In fact, minimum military time here is 6 months and the prison time is a bit more than that. And civil service even more :rolleyes:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-26, 12:51 PM #29
Really? Haha. I could've sworn someone told my otherwise in the chat. Oh well. There's more factors to my decision than time, such as lack of freedom and having no interest in being trained to kill people.

I'd rather take away my own rights than let someone else take them away for no good reason.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-26, 12:55 PM #30
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Really? Haha. I could've sworn someone told my otherwise in the chat. Oh well.

I think I told you the same thing in the chat what I told now in my last post :p

Anyhow, I'm starting to think that perhaps civil service isn't that bad... my health check's next month though, I wonder if going all "YAY ARMY I WANT TO KILL PEOPLE" labels me as somewhat unstable... most likely I'll be encouraged to join the army more though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-26, 1:32 PM #31
"Doc..I wanna kill. KILL. KILL! KILL!"

-alice's restaurant
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-26, 1:48 PM #32
It may have something to do with Mubarak suppressing the Islamist factions within the country. The regime is secularist.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-04-26, 2:28 PM #33
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I think I told you the same thing in the chat what I told now in my last post :p

Anyhow, I'm starting to think that perhaps civil service isn't that bad... my health check's next month though, I wonder if going all "YAY ARMY I WANT TO KILL PEOPLE" labels me as somewhat instable... most likely I'll be encouraged to join the army more though.

Civil service is perfectly doable for the 1st 9 months, then you just start to get more and more pissed off
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2006-04-26, 3:00 PM #34
Originally posted by Ford:
"Doc..I wanna kill. KILL. KILL! KILL!"

-alice's restaurant

<3 Arlo Guthrie.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-26, 5:35 PM #35
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:

We aren't allies with China, our buisnesses just do buisness with them often.

Egypt is mainly a Muslim country, we're not allies with them but we have economic ties which include tourism, and an attack on egyptian resort is a message against the west, not Egypt necessairly.

↑ Up to the top!