Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Web hosts
Web hosts
2006-04-24, 10:48 PM #1
So this lady that my mom knows is thinking about putting a website up for her small jewelry business. I basically need to know the best webhost under these specifications:

-No ads
-Probably php support
-Decently fast, but bandwidth isn't such a big deal
-Enough space for a small website with content, so maybe somewhere from 200MB to 500MB?

Can any of you give some ideas on what services fulfill these requirements that are fairly cheap, and maybe that you've heard are good or you know are good from experience?
2006-04-25, 2:14 AM #2
Both my self and i think its Cool matty own webhosting companies.
I will PM you a price p/m
Flying over there some were...
2006-04-25, 4:45 AM #3
My plan:

$5 /month (USD)
20GB Bandwith/month
1GB space
PHP/MySQL/PostgreSQL unlimited databases
SSH Access
Unlimited: FTPs, subdomains, email addresses

Paypal only though, keep that in mind.
2006-04-25, 5:36 AM #4
Dreamhost, plus you can get the first year at a MASSIVE discount from using an easily googled offer code
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-25, 5:59 AM #5
[url]www.fuitadnet.com[/url]

Really good, really cheap.
D E A T H
2006-04-25, 6:57 AM #6
I hate those companies. They oversell their servers by a massive percentage >.>
2006-04-25, 7:01 AM #7
Coolmatty has a gives great hosting service, runs quite while, always up, and its got great support. ;)

I don't doubt Anakin-Paul also offers a good service.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-25, 7:46 AM #8
dhost.info has a pretty decent free hosting service.
2006-04-25, 8:34 AM #9
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]I hate those companies. They oversell their servers by a massive percentage >.>[/QUOTE]
Fuitadnet doesn't.
D E A T H
2006-04-25, 8:50 AM #10
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Fuitadnet doesn't.[/QUOTE]

They claim not to, but there's evidence that they do (even on their own forums):

http://www.fuitadnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4154&highlight=oversell
2006-04-25, 8:54 AM #11
Originally posted by DSettahr:
dhost.info has a pretty decent free hosting service.

They don't allow for your own domain name though, which wouldn't reflect well for a business.
2006-04-25, 9:00 AM #12
Even if there is "evidence" that they do, I still trust them. My friends all run quite a few sites on their servers, and they've never gone down, nor have they run out of space.
D E A T H
2006-04-25, 11:45 AM #13
I use [url]www.k1z.com[/url]

They've always been good to me. :p
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-04-25, 12:13 PM #14
Originally posted by Detty:
Dreamhost, plus you can get the first year at a MASSIVE discount from using an easily googled offer code

I came in here to post this :)
2006-04-25, 12:21 PM #15
[url]www.1and1.com[/url]

The Best.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-04-25, 12:45 PM #16
I use CM's hosting and I'm quite happy with it.

You may also want to check GoDaddy's hosting. Even their basic package for $3-4 per month has crazy amounts of space and bandwidth. Limited databases, email accounts, email forwards etc. though. Not sure about subdomains.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-25, 12:50 PM #17
Is Go Daddy any good anymore? They got bought up, I think...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-25, 2:18 PM #18
[url]www.bizland.com[/url]

The. Best. Ever. FTW.

$6.00 a month, tons of supports and features, great for a small business site. Use it all the time.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-25, 7:39 PM #19
I haven't had any problems with http://www.1and1.com/ yet.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-04-25, 7:52 PM #20
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
[url]www.bizland.com[/url]

The. Best. Ever. FTW.

$6.00 a month, tons of supports and features, great for a small business site. Use it all the time.

Do you even read anything else, or did you just pick a random service and said "SOUNDS GOOD!" ?

I mean, not only does my own service totally beat theirs (5x the diskspace, 8x the bandwith, more than 1 email addy, etc etc etc), but I'm cheaper ($5 a month instead of $6.95 a month, and no setup fee), and they have NO promises on uptime. (So they could have the servers go down for a week, and you're still paying)

Oh, and not just to rave about my service, but I believe every single service posted before, and after yours beats yours. Seriously dude, do you even read at all?
2006-04-25, 7:56 PM #21
BlueHost.
2006-04-25, 7:56 PM #22
Hmmm CoolMatty has flawlessly hosted a few things for me and mine before...
2006-04-25, 8:11 PM #23
Originally posted by MentatMM:

Also makes no promises on uptime. Since when is this not common practice anymore? If I were running a business, I'd want a guarantee of uptime, at minimum :/
2006-04-25, 8:37 PM #24
[url]www.kionic.com[/url]

I'm quite happy with their service. They'll willingly install any Perl module requested (assuming, of course, that's it not malicious), they just recently upgraded to PHP5, 1 GB storage with 10 GB bandwith at $5/month, and their support is incredible. 5 MySQL databases, but a single company on a server probably won't need more than 5, if even three.

I've worked with them when they were glypto, and gladly work with them while they're kionic.

Friendly company, and I've never experienced any downtime.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-26, 7:43 AM #25
Quote:
Also makes no promises on uptime. Since when is this not common practice anymore? If I were running a business, I'd want a guarantee of uptime, at minimum :/

[url]BlueHost[/url]'s uptime is 99.5% across the board, and 99.9% if you're using a Unix solution. The only downtime I've ever had with them was when I asked them to move me to a server that has PHP5 enabled, which they did for free, and they did it while I was asleep. However, your point is well taken.

Oh, and stay away from RedTagHosting. They've tried to take money out of my account, even 2 years after I've cancelled. When you email them about it, they'll apologize, but they'll continue trying to take money out, annually.
2006-04-28, 12:43 PM #26
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
HAHAHAHA I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS! HAHA I'M ON THE INTERNET!!<edited by Yecti>

Lets see:

A. It's met the 99.9% uptime guarantee since I've been promising since I started over 7 months ago. Ask MZZT, Kirby, or anyone else hosted.

B. I do have traffic checking services (quite a few)

C. I do have mass search engine submissions, but they're pointless and useless. (Studies show they do not improve search results at all)

D. Diagnostic tools? My server isn't breaking, so what would I need to fix? Explain what a diagnostic tool is and maybe I can tell you what I have :p

My server runs CPanel, which is one of the highest rated industry-standard control panels for webservers.

Oh, and your fantastic webservice? " However, due to the nature and complexity of online services, we cannot guarantee the availability of (i) our Web site, (ii) any Customer Web site or other Web site, information or material hosted by us, or (iii) the products and/or services available on or through any of the above."

In other words, if their servers just die, oh well. You don't even get your money back.

My policy is if you notice a downtime of the server (and it is confirmed that the issue lies in the server) for longer than 4 hours, I will refund that month's payment.

And I wasn't flaming you, I was pointing out how ignorant you're being. Every single company on this thread is better than the one you posted. It's as if you don't care what anyone else says, you HAVE to be right.

↑ Up to the top!